Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few months I have noticed a consistant three to four miles per gallon loss in overall mileage at every fill up. I am used to getting 49 - 51 mpg around town, and now all of a sudden it is down to 45 - 47, even when I am really watching the throttle hand. About the only thing I have done any different is on the last oil change I tried Mobil 1 10w 40 high mileage oil in the engine and tranny. Final drive has Mobile 1 synthetic final drive and that has been used for a couple of years. Sparks have about 8,000 since the last changing. The bike seems to be running just fine. No rough idle, hesitation, or poor acceleration. Just a rather puzzling drop in gas mileage. Running OEM Bridgestones with about 8,000 miles on them. Plenty of good tread left on both. :?:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Could be gas blends, tire pressure, riding habit/route/headwind, wheel bearings, CVT bearings, etc...

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
MPG doesn't sound bad to me especially for around town riding. I usually get about 50 MPG riding rural roads and 45 or so if city is much at all. As said, it could be the summer blend. Do you use the same brand of gas as that can have a bearing as well? One other question, why did you decide to put the high mileage oil in your scoot? I don't know if that would cause any changes in MPG. Last question, is the Mobil 1 high mileage oil rated for wet clutches?

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
OK, so you been getting avg of 50. now you're at avg 46. A 10% drop would put you at 45, so you are droppign about 8%. My guess is that, with other things being equal, you are getting a different blend of fuel. Don't worry about the oil. You have good oil. If you have been getting more ethanol in your fuel, that could do it. Ethanol and a different blend. Try getting fuel someplace else. Take a trip out of your area and get fuel and see if it changes.

Desertwinds said:
The last few months I have noticed a consistant three to four miles per gallon loss in overall mileage at every fill up. I am used to getting 49 - 51 mpg around town, and now all of a sudden it is down to 45 - 47, even when I am really watching the throttle hand. About the only thing I have done any different is on the last oil change I tried Mobil 1 10w 40 high mileage oil in the engine and tranny. Final drive has Mobile 1 synthetic final drive and that has been used for a couple of years. Sparks have about 8,000 since the last changing. The bike seems to be running just fine. No rough idle, hesitation, or poor acceleration. Just a rather puzzling drop in gas mileage. Running OEM Bridgestones with about 8,000 miles on them. Plenty of good tread left on both. :?:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LeDude said:
could be a side effect of the Summer gas switch that usually occurs at the start of Spring, not sure if they have that in Nevada.
Our gas is brought in from California refineries.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Desertwinds said:
Our gas is brought in from California refineries.
That may be be but I wouldn't know what your blends are like but I'd bet they are different than those in the greater LA basin due to our emissions regulations. As suggested it would be worth trying different brands of gas even in the same grade to see.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mileage drop

That may be be but I wouldn't know what your blends are like but I'd bet they are different than those in the greater LA basin due to our emissions regulations. As suggested it would be worth trying different brands of gas even in the same grade to see.
Well, I put some StarTron in the last couple of tanks. Did a 75 mile run a couple of days ago that included about 40 miles of 55-60, and about 30 miles of 65-75; and about five miles on the neighborhood streets. Came up to 57 mpg overall. No complaints there. Did the same route with a friends Shadow 1100 Tour the next day (I am baby sitting it at my home for the month while he and family are out of town), and came up with 47 mpg for his bike, which is better than the 42 mpg he usually gets.
Still using the same Chevron gas, don't know if the Star Tron was the difference, or more of the miles driven in the 55-60 range. But, I am releived, and smiling a bit more. :hello1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts