Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Since I bought my '04 B400 new in January, I've noticed that the left mirror tends to "droop" as I ride: I start out with the mirror aligned, but after about 40 minutes of riding I have to adjust it again. Whether it's the engine vibration, the wind or the jolts from the road, I find I'm always adjusting the left mirror, while the right stays where I put it.

Any suggestions for tightening the mirror ball joint, or should I just put up with it?

Simon

·
Registered
806 Posts
Are you sure it's the ball joint giving way? There is a threaded shaft and lock nut under a rubber cover on both ends of the mirror support. Perhaps one of these is giving way.

If that is not the case and it is in fact the mirror ball joint, you can play with the locking nuts so that when it is adjusted properly the ball joint is adjusted all the way "down" so it can't go down anymore.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take a look at it this afternoon, but it definitely is in the ball joint that I'm constantly adjusting it. It droops just to the point where I have to duck my head to see the traffic behind me, then stops. Your suggested adjustment might do the trick.

Simon

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ya know, if you did get it new in January, she is still under warranty. You could just get a new mirror.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I had a similar problem with the stock mirrors on my Suzuki V-Strom. The solution was to replace the mirrors with better (and less expensive) aftermarket ones. I went with Emgo mirrors. Looked better and worked right.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't get a chance to try to fix it last night: was shovelling topsoil. :( However, I did take a look at it while stopped in traffic on the way home last night, and it looks like it is not the ball joint, but the shaft at the end nearest the mirror.

Simon

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had that exact same problem on my new Burg400, on the same side. Using the tool kit in the trunk I tightened the nut once I had it where I wanted it and it stopped doing that.
Hope that helps!
-Moo

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went the extreme route and cemented them in place with small dabs of "GOOP" glue ("shoe goo"; "plumber's cement"; same stuff, different labels). I despise constantly readjusting mirrors, so I take drastic measures to "lock them in place" once I have them set to my specifications -- whether they're causing me a problem or not.

"Tropical Storm Adrian"

:spam1:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I find it interesting that we are all having the same problem with the left mirror. I also have to keep tightening the nut to stop it from moving, however I can't seem to get it to go as far down as I would like. So I may just bring it back in for a new mirror.

·
Registered
553 Posts
left mirror

Evelyn said:
I find it interesting that we are all having the same problem with the left mirror. I also have to keep tightening the nut to stop it from moving, however I can't seem to get it to go as far down as I would like. So I may just bring it back in for a new mirror.
I sometimes have to adjust my left mirror, but it's because I've bumped it a little while pushing the bike around standing next to it and steering it holding the left handle bar. I've never had it to droop or fall from not being tight enough. :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip: one of the lock nuts on the left mirror shaft was loose. I've tightened it now, and we'll see how it holds up on the Monday commute. Feels like it won't move.

:thumbleft:

Simon

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've used the goop (marine goop actually) on several bikes. The repalcement mirrors are a good way to go - but for things like my little Yamaha Zuma - a dab of goop reduces vibration and keeps them from moving (their ball joints went out and they have no adjustment nut).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get some ALL Black TRIUMPH ones.....

See post Replaced wing mirrors....
Good view and rock solid while still adjustable.
Look very good on a black Burgman.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts