Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Seeing as how good LED technology has become and how many great LED auxillary lights are out there I think you'd be nuts to put to 55w halogen lights on a bike. The current draw alone would make me shelve that idea.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
So I took a quick look at LED fog lights.
YIKES :shock: ! They run $350-$500 a pair for anything of quality.
I suppose you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I use the small Walmart 35 watt halogen lights, they light up nothing. However, I haven't noticed anything unusual for too much current draw, so you could always put a size smaller bulb in them if they give you issues, as HELLA is a quality light vs my Walmarts, so I'd guess they'd still shine good.

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
Those Hella's are nice for 110 watts. They come with wiring and a switch. You should wire them up to a relay and feed from the battery and not thru the ignition switch.

That said, on my last 2008 that I crashed in April, I had 2 10 watt single LED lamps rated at 1000 lumns and they were not too bright much more than 100 feet in front. They did give me a greater presents when seen from another cars mirrors.

I will be wiring a set of these below into the "New To Me" 2003 650 I bought. They do not come with wiring or switch but I will wire them up using a relay and a switch. These are 18 watts each for 36 watts total. They are 1800 Lumns with 6 LED's each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251810885263?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have already wired up the front turnsignals so they are running lights using a 5 pin relay. I also moved my "Suprebright.com" 45 chip LED RED 1157 bulbs over to the 03. These are very bright LED bulbs.

Thing to remember about colored LED bulbs is "White" is not white but is blue and a red lenses will block most of the color allowing only red to pass. So Red LED behind a red lenses, amber behind an amber lenses and so on.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thing to remember about colored LED bulbs is "White" is not white but is blue and a red lenses will block most of the color allowing only red to pass. So Red LED behind a red lenses, amber behind an amber lenses and so on.
Dave, I don't understand your logic here? If only red light will show through a red lens, why is is bad to get a white led light?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The basic idea has to do what wavelengths are emitted by the light source. For incandescent bulbs, the light emitted is broad spectrum so there is a significant red component to pass through the lens. In an LED, making an assumption here as I have not looked at the spectral distribution of a white LED, you have a few narrow peaks that your eye interprets as white . Based on the whiteness of the LED lights I have seen, blue is going to be a significant emitted color. One of them is likely to be red so you would see some light through the lens. But with a red LED, the bulk of the emitted energy is red so most of the emitted energy will pass through the lens. When you are buying LED's emitted power is money. You might as well get the best bang for your buck.

·
Administrator
18,738 Posts
Dave, I don't understand your logic here? If only red light will show through a red lens, why is is bad to get a white led light?
The basic idea has to do what wavelengths are emitted by the light source. For incandescent bulbs, the light emitted is broad spectrum so there is a significant red component to pass through the lens. In an LED, making an assumption here as I have not looked at the spectral distribution of a white LED, you have a few narrow peaks that your eye interprets as white . Based on the whiteness of the LED lights I have seen, blue is going to be a significant emitted color. One of them is likely to be red so you would see some light through the lens. But with a red LED, the bulk of the emitted energy is red so most of the emitted energy will pass through the lens. When you are buying LED's emitted power is money. You might as well get the best bang for your buck.
Thats about it, thanks Chatman.

I bet Cliff has a chart on it. ;)

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
CliffyK was out but I found this pinned to his door :).

White LED light drops off quickly in the higher frequencies so there isn't much red.
(I think the first LED invented was red, but that has come from a very dusty shelf in the back back of my head so might be wrong)

Edit: oops wrong pic

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm a little surprised the white LED has as smooth a distribution as pictured. I would have expected something more like the Mercury vapor lamp. Even so you'll see that the bulk of the tungsten lamp output is greater than 550nm, e.g. towards the red end. The tungsten curve looks like it is for the 'normal' 2700K color temp. Halogen @ 3000K+ will look the same only rotated about 10-15 degrees clockwise (more blue relative to red).

On a note of excruciating correctness, the higher frequency (and shorter wave length) blue colors are to the left in the diagram. Lower frequency, longer wave length, red colors are to the right. Kind of the reverse to how I've normally seen this information displayed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ordered a set like Dave_J but saw a 125w Cree set so odered that also. Will advise abouot cponstruction when I get it. It takes longer to get to Canada (Far North?). Wiring this set in will be my challenge unless it has already been described elsewhere in the forum.

2x Motorcycle CREE 125W U5 LED Driving Fog Head Spot Light White Lamp Headlight...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
How many watts can you run for lights with no other accessories? As of now I have two 35 watt from Walmart that don't light up a thing. I can't even tell when I turn them on!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Those are flood light bulbs, Mike -- a car/bike bulb is much more complex. However former do work as the driving lights, your better seen on the road. Problem is you don't see any better :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts