Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 450 miles of riding my new Burgy 400 I've decided that due to my long legs I would be more comfortable if I could move my seating position aft about two inches. Has anyone ever removed the stop? It isn't directly mentioned in the manual and any advice would be appreciated before I go in and start wrenching.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just about everyone has removed the back stop :)
Just do a search of this forum ---there is a lot of information

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
This thread reminds me of a song:

Butt stop, wet day, she's there, I say
Please share my umbrella
Butt stop, bus goes, she stays, love grows
Under my umbrella

:lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dean,

Great sense of humor :lol:! Got any more?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hi all,
I know it's been a while since I posted - 3 classes in school this semester - I love it, but no free time.
I had to write today because I want to thank Tangotex for bringing this subject up and Bill for the link to how to remove the butt-stop. I have a 34 inch inseam and have found the scooter just a tad bit short for my long legs (not that this has stopped me, mind you - I don't yet have the strength to move up to a 650). I removed the butt-stop this afternoon and then took it for a brief (5 minute) run. So far, so good.
Bryna and I went for our second ride of the season today (last weekend was the first - about 1/2 hour, but well worth it). I got up for my Saturday morning class - 8:15 to noon - and rode in to school. It's about a 1/2 hour ride. 33 degrees was not as bad as I thought it would be - I just bundled up real good. By the time Bryna and I met at the Duck Deli in New Britain (I go to Delaware Valley College) it had warmed up enough to go for a nice ride (about an hour). It was a gorgeous day for easing back into riding after a long, cold winter. Our last ride was New Year's Day (it was 60 degrees that day here in PA) - and yes, just 2 1/2 months felt VERY LONG.
So, I'm looking forward to my next ride with more leg room. I hope it's comfortable during a longer ride.
Maybe I'll even have a chance to post at least once more before school ends in May :wink:
Lynn aka TallWoman

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
It's good to see ya back on the forums Lynn. Be sure to check in with us every now and then and let us know how you're do'in. Be sure you don't let Bryna put more miles on her 400 than you. :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think I'll chime in here too, and thank everyone on the board and billmeek as well for the advice on removing the butt stop. Today was my first commute and 2nd ride with it off, and it makes a world of difference! 8) Before I took it off I didn't worry too much about the legroom, but with it off everything changed: legroom, stretch to the bars, sitting angle. Although I miss the snug feeling that the bum stop gave, the comfort is still excellent.

Simon

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hello all,
Well, so far so good. I rode to a meeting and back today - only 1/2 hour total - but didn't have any trouble with buttpadd not being there. It's more of a stretch to the handlebars - if I like having the buttpad off I may ask the guys at my Suzuki dealer/repair shop adjust the handlbars some. I have to take it in for inspection anyway. Hopefully I'll get to ride to work AND school this week (Wednesday is supposed to be 63 degrees :lol: here in Bucks County) - then I'll have a better idea. The one problem might be that there is just metal under the cover where the buttpadd was. I may have to try to pad it a bit with something - any ideas? Also, any thoughts on something more attractive than duct tape to cover the holes? I look forward to any advice.
Ride safe,
Lynn

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Lynn, go to the hardware store and get two black plastic hole plugs. I think they are 7/8", but you better check. Stick them in the seat cover holes. If they do not stay in the holes, silicone seal them in.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yes, they are 7/8" hole plugs. The silicon seal didn't work for me. I'd still lose one every now and then. So I just bought some extras and kept them in the glovebox. The final solution was to re-cover the seat, but I got by using the hole plugs for a few months.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My question about removing the butt stop is this... Does it change the balance of the bike to move the rider farther back, and how does it affect the balance with a passenger? My wife and I ride alot together, and one issue we have is that she's not comfortable sitting far enough back to use the back rest, and I feel like when she does it makes the bike tail-heavy and adds extra wind resistance since she's not up close to me. What's everyone think?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
hrdillender said:
My question about removing the butt stop is this... Does it change the balance of the bike to move the rider farther back, and how does it affect the balance with a passenger? My wife and I ride alot together, and one issue we have is that she's not comfortable sitting far enough back to use the back rest, and I feel like when she does it makes the bike tail-heavy and adds extra wind resistance since she's not up close to me. What's everyone think?
I've ridden many thousands of miles now without the butt stop on my 650. No adverse effect on handling. The main difference between the two models is that the engine is forward mounted on the 650, which puts more weight forward. But I don't see where sitting 2" further back is going to make any big difference on a 400.

The issue with a passenger is more that they are elevated due to the step up of the seat. This raises the center of gravity. It is not so bad once you are rolling along, but coming to a stop and at very low speeds it feels quite awkward. This is definitely present with the 650 too, despite it's greater weight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
buttrest removal

Called a backrest here in England. Was collecting my bike after its 7,500 service and asked mechanic if he would remove it for me. (Got the idea off here so thanks everyone). Took all of three or four minutes, no drilling needed - even gave me the screws back undamaged. Haven't had a chance to really try it out but feels much better so far. Do gel pads soften the seat much? Now spring has arrived I'm looking forward to having good try out.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
hrdillender said:
I feel like when she does it makes the bike tail-heavy and adds extra wind resistance since she's not up close to me. What's everyone think?
I noticed exactly the same thing this weekend. When my wife sits close and holds onto me, the wind flows over better and there is less turbulance. When she sits back, the dynamics are very different and worse.

Dave B.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks to this forum I am having the dealer remove the butt rest during the PDI, saves me the hassle of doing it later.

Who knows, maybe if enough people do this the dealerships will pass this back to Suzuki HQ and changes will be made :D

Om second thought, probably not :cry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts