Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always interested in ideas for making my scooter more comfortable; I'm 6' 2" and I find that the "butt rest" doesn't go back far enough and I have always felt the need for a few more inches of leg room but didn't know how to get them.

After reading through some of the http://www.burgmanusa.com 'blogs' and others, I realized that you can remove the "butt-rest" and pick up a couple of inches in driver's saddle length. Now if only there was a nice backrest that wouldn't gobble up that space.

I saw the backrest listed on http://www.bestbackrests.com and decided to make my own using the pillion backrest from my new Burgman An650 Exec.

The photos I'm including represent my prototype 3 and best effort yet. I intend to add a piece of 1/2" closed cell foam over the sliding plate to give a little extra cushion.

For less than $25.00 in parts and the use of a bench vise and hack saw you can create this backrest in a short time.
Admittedly, prototypes 1 and 2 were creative mistakes and, I needed to buy a bench vise and other tools I didn't have.
Once I realized the ease of doing this correctly, the parts were minimal and the time was an hour or so.

I hope this might help others enjoy their Burgman 650s

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
THat's a great idea.. I see you used a braket or something.. so I assume that the connection system on the OEM backrest was not close to fitting?
How did you attach the back rest? I love the look of it to !

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Looks good - my only suggestion if not done is to find a way to have it rotate in the vertical plane - that is a feature of the DayLong and makes a big difference getting the rest snugged into the curve of your back.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought a driver's backrest from http://www.bestbackrests.com/ before Christmas, but I did not get a chance to put it on and try it out until recently. Here are my thoughts/observations. Burgman 650, 2012.
The backrest was very easy to install once you figured out the slight angle needed to slide it into the existing buttrest holes. I had to test to make sure it was not too far back for me, and it was. However, they provide you with two sizes of extentions (1" and 2") to move the rest forward some. I found that the 2" extention was needed for my shortness (5'8" tall with 30 inch inseams).

We took a 5.5 hour-long ride last Saturday. The backrest worked really well. I do wish the vertical height was 1/4 inch taller before the padding starts, but that is a very minor issue. My back felt better than it has ever on the 650.
My wife does have a little bit more trouble getting on and off the back seat area, but she claims that it isn't that much of an issue with her.
The backrest does flex, and this does worry me a little bit. I hope the constant flexing does not cause the metal to crack.
We are thinking about adding a little bit more cushioning on the rest. However as it is, this backrest works just fine. I gove it a :cheers:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Some people will use ANY excuse to buy a new bench vice or tool. I admire your creativity...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts