Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Found a website for a driver seat backrest for the Burgman. Called Jac and he said that it should fit both the 650 and 400, but will refund money if it won't work on the 400. I bought mine today for my 400 and will post more when I get it installed. You can look at it at http://www.rvtoys.net

I am in no way affiliated with this company or web site. Just looking for a more comfortable ride!

Kelly Case
2003 an400-Silver 8)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Thank you for posting this, Kelly! Looks like a terrific add-on that would make my back very, very happy. Can't wait to hear your report for fitting this on the 400, which is what I ride, too.

Happy weekend,
Chris

·
Registered
103 Posts
anybody try this, yet?

Man! This looks tempting and not over priced. I wonder if it will help make the back rest move a little further back or at least feel that way. I'm 6'2" and finding the same as other taller guys - the back rest won't adjust as far back as I'd like.

Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Report on Backrest

I am 6' 3" tall 257 lbs. and had previously removed the stock back rest and was comfortable for short trips but wanted some back support for longer trips. I purchased this unit and it was promptly delivered. It was simple to install just as the site indicates with one minor exception. The curve in the support did not quite allow me to install the top screw in metal bracket (wasn't long enough). I used a longer screw and got it installed and on the burgman 650. In my test ride I felt the top edge of the padded back rest but did not feel my back fit firmly in the back rest. Just as the orginal backrest if you follow the instructions and do not place in the locking screws you can easily remove this back rest as needed. I found that I could put the bottom bracked (without taking it apart) in my vise and with a little pressure I adjusted the curve in the support (now I could use the orginal screw). Put it back on the bike and it fit perfect! I rode it to work the next morning and the comfort was great. I am very please with this product and plan now to cover the metal bar and put a pad across the bottom. One of the reasons I purchased this product is that I can easily return the orginal backrest to stock ( not that I would want to). Good value for the money and a creative approach to using the orginal backrest - I am a happy customer :lol:

Richard

·
Registered
103 Posts
got mine installed (sort of)

My initial experience was the same as rwash - the bolt was far too short so I substituted. It was easy to install - took me longer to find all my tools than to do the swap. I may end up bending mine, too. It's already after midnight and raining so, the test ride will have to wait.

A couple of caveats I suppose you would call them:
- by substituting the longer bolt, I may have cranked it in too far and warped the original (factory) bracket because the backrest is now a bear to take on and off - the rods that go into the seat don't seem to be properly aligned, any more.
- the metal frame is now exposed and I will have to either order the optional pad or get it covered. it's kinda ugly.
- worse than being ugly, the metal frame wanted to make contact with the seat cover in ways that made me think it would eventually cut through the cover. I've got it wrapped with cloth, for now, so that won't happen but I think it's going to have to have something done to it...a better cover
- I'd like to see them use carriage head bolts rather than just plain bolts for a more "finished" look and maybe use a slightly slotted set of holes in the bracket to allow for a fudge factor when mounting (maybe that would prevent the warping)

Overall, I think for the price it will be a good deal. It just requires some "finageling" (maybe tuning is a better word) but it's a piece that is definitely a personal preference thing so I don't find fault for that.

After some riding and adjusting, I think I'll be able to say that this is a good product. I can already say that it was a darn clever idea!

Al

·
Registered
103 Posts
follow-up

I had a chance to ride with the back rest - I like it very much!

I also got an email from Jac who was most interested in my comments, feedback, and concerns. Let me tell you that this guy is most impressive to deal with - he takes a personal interest in your satisfaction and incorporates feedback into his products.

I sincerely hope that nobody thinks I was slamming anything about this backrest - it is as promised and I like it!

If you are interested in any of Jac's products at rvtoys.com then let me say you can be assured that he is one of us and will make sure you are satisfied.

Al

·
Registered
103 Posts
backrest covered

The pad that Jac has is a pretty good deal but I was lucky enough to have a "hippie" auto trim shop here in town. They do a lot of motorcycle work and they have a very complete shop out at their farm - mellow attitude, mellow prices - $55 for the whole job and they did it in one day!

They not only covered the butt area but also made a very nice matching cover for the back of the original butt-stopper. The whole thing looks, fits, and feels very nice.

So, I highly recommend this backrest and to shop around and see if you have a "hippie" auto trim shop in your town. If not, Jac's pad is fine and is a good price. Either way you go - you're going to want a pad of some kind. I don't have a digital camera of my own but I'll try to borrow one and post some photos.

Al

·
Registered
320 Posts
Jac's backrest sounds great for those of you non-vertically challenged who need the comfort and leg room. But any ideas for a vertically challenged person like me who might want a higher driver's backrest than the stock one?

It would be nice to have something that rises high in the back. We can't install Jac's on the Burgie we have because I need to sit closer. If it were Lynn's bike, I'm sure she'd love the backrest!.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated!
Bryna

1 - 8 of 8 Posts