Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around and couldn't find posts about if anybody has tried this, so I'm just gonna throw it out there. Has anyone ever McGuyverd a way to put highway foot pegs on their Burgman? I'm going to get a drivers backrest soon, and I can imagine that it would be very comfortable to place my feet out on some pegs on long rides. I don't know if there is any frame tubing to mount to in that area. I'm sure yo uwould have to cut into the plastic a little bit to attach it to the frame.

If anyone has done this & has a post on it, let me know. I'd be interested in trying it if anyone hasn't.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
ditto, this has got to be my project for this summer , i need my feet just forward of the radiator but will settle for as close to that as I can get

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I would be interested on how you do it.

Gary (2007), Mike (2008), & I (2008) all live fairly close together. I would bet we can figure out something.

Bob Weis

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
great info, once again this site paid for its membership , saved me a few bucks in experiments in bad ideas this time !

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
this is beginning to look not so difficult , the hard part will be keeping the lovebugs out of my crotch :evil:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Similar to the 650 posts [and I think I posted on this on the 400 section, too] I crudely bent a 3/16" x 2" iron bar from Lowe's, drilled holes in between the plastic grids of the support for the footboards and used 1/4" bolts secured by fender washers to lock this bar onto the foot board - at first I just attached 3/8" bolts, covered by a 3-1/2" length of galvanized 1/2" pipe - very crude :oops: , but also effective.. - VOILA! :thumbup: and my 400 has fully functional if not completely elegant highway pegs! The plastic footboard material doesn't offer the most secure purchase, so I would not stand on the pegs, but they hold the feet very well. :wink: Then I bought some $10 basic foot pegs from CycleGear and they definitely look better. $10 pegs is ok, but I just could not spring for some of the far more beautiful but spendy Kuryakins or other high end brands.

I think I posted a pic or too, but that was before I found the inexpensive Cycle Gear pegs

There is probably a frame member somewhere very deep under the plastic which would be a far more secure attachment, but you'd have to drill visible parts of the tupperware and the pegs would then be at the end of a pretty long lever arm, which might lead to flexing and tupperware damage.

** sighhhh ** It sure would be nice if it were possible to attach real crash bars to the front [and maybe the rear] of the 400 to facilitate mounting a whole lot of accessory lights, highway pegs and other REALLY necessary after market products to trick out the bikes, wouldn't it? :roll:

Just some of my thoughts,
m

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Let me try to add some photos - remembering that I was still using pipe over a 3/8" bolt :oops: and later added real, but inexpensive pegs!

[attachment=1:3r6by6po]Footpegside view.JPG[/attachment:3r6by6po]
[attachment=0:3r6by6po]Pegs oblique view.JPG[/attachment:3r6by6po]

For my money, it'd be more fun to set up a gallery, 'cause this is a little tedious attaching pix :roll: , but so it goes!

FWIW,
m

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just browsing thru the gallery and came across a photo album of an unknown member who added some footpegs to his Burgman. I'm not sure on his method though . . . he just posted pics of the finished product.

Album: Side Windshields and Highway Pegs on Burgman 400 This is the nice, clean look that I would definitely be going for.

I don't know how tall that guy is, but I envision my footpegs being higher up the vertical part of the footpad. I'm 6'1" and don't think my legs would be stretched out all the way with them being mounted there. I wish I knew who that member is so we could pick his brain.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm wondering if there's a practical reason for these or just cosmetic. I'm 6'2" and my legs stretch out just fine to the "upper" foot position. I did swap out the butt bumper for a Bearcat backrest and that got me the extra arse space I needed without all the drilling.

Does look **** cool (literally and figuratively) though.

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
Gary Baughn said:
I was just browsing thru the gallery and came across a photo album of an unknown member who added some footpegs to his Burgman. I'm not sure on his method though . . . he just posted pics of the finished product.

Album: Side Windshields and Highway Pegs on Burgman 400 This is the nice, clean look that I would definitely be going for.

I don't know how tall that guy is, but I envision my footpegs being higher up the vertical part of the footpad. I'm 6'1" and don't think my legs would be stretched out all the way with them being mounted there. I wish I knew who that member is so we could pick his brain.
you don't want to raise your legs too high and get your thighs off the seat and have to support them with the pegs, just extend the foot pegs more toward the front tire with your legs resting comfortably in the stretched position, it's hard for me to judge where you guys need to be since you sit hunch backed and I sit in a recliner.
I got my footboards in today , now the hard part, getting the footboards and the bike to like each other and in a place where my feet reach comfortably and this done by myself, hard to judge where my feet (soles)are in relation to the bike when I am in the seat and this almost has to be right on the first guess! or uglification factor starts rising fast

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
done but with boards instead of pegs, when they flip up there's a nice shiny chrome thingy to look at, about the size of my shoe, total cost about $300.00 and I can still put my deflectors on without removing anything , don't ask for pictures unless you want one of my eye or my thumb

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Apoc69 said:
I'm wondering if there's a practical reason for these or just cosmetic. I'm 6'2" and my legs stretch out just fine to the "upper" foot position. I did swap out the butt bumper for a Bearcat backrest and that got me the extra arse space I needed without all the drilling."

I'm just 5'7" and put the 2Brothers [hope it's not a dirty work here!] and even though the Burg's own floorboards give me an assortment of places and positions to put my feet, for long hauls on the highway, it's handy to be able to stretch out that much more and hunker into the bike with the pegs. And in the Florida heat, the extra ventilation is a boon, even on the highway - eat your hearts out you poor guys from chillier climes of Maine, Minnesota or Wisconsin :)

Apoc69 said:
Does look **** cool (literally and figuratively) though.

Yep, it's 8) so cool to be able to tool down the road at 75 mph and wave at the big bikes with the cup from my cup holder, legs comfortably stretched out and showing off my Burgy! Now, I just need to figure out how I'm gonna add a CB radio and tunes with a 200 watt amplifier and I'll take off the decal on the side that says "Burgman" and replace it with one that says "Goldwing" and they won't even know I'm not on a Goldwing!!! :shock: A Goldwing 400??!?!? :wink:

m

·
Registered
3 Posts

I know this is an old post but I just got a 05 Burgman 400 and my only complaint is the leg room. I loved my B650 and had enough legroom, but this 400 is a bit too short. So I'm digging this thread! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I use the "upper" part of the footboard.
If I conjured up a way to install foot pegs, they would be 1) flip back, 2) near the upper part of the footboards.
It would sure involve a lot of creative rigging though. My energy is going into getting my Sportster back on the road at the moment.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
And would require some cutting of the tupperware. Which is an irreversible mod :(

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
done but with boards instead of pegs, when they flip up there's a nice shiny chrome thingy to look at, about the size of my shoe, total cost about $300.00 and I can still put my deflectors on without removing anything , don't ask for pictures unless you want one of my eye or my thumb
Pics Please !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts