Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am also a new AN400K3 owner. I was wondering if there is a simple way to remove the adjustable backrest. I would like to gain just a bit more leg room and maybe find a way to make a thinner backrest perhaps with more hieght.

I took my first 100 mile ride this past weekend in Atlanta where the weather was 60 degrees. I have the hand guards and Givi shield which helped greatly when I started out earlier in the morning cold. Only problem I can find so far is the slightly hard seat. But this is subjective. I am considering a blow up seat cushion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Back Rest Removal

On the 650 there are two screws on the bars that go through the seat for the backrest. Pull the screws, release the adjustment dohickey, and slide the backrest forward till it's off. I'm no considereing how to re-cover the backrest frame with little or no padding, to cover the holes and make it pretty but keep the extra two inches the removal provided.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that and it did not come out easily so I did not force it. Have you actually done yours?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Sandberg, did you get the butt rest off? If not, here is an expanded version of Franklin's explanation.

The 400 has two small holes in bottom side of the seat pan/shell, one on each side of the trunk light. In each hole, there is a small phillips head screw. The screws are attached to each end of the tubes that slide into the seat on the butt rest. If I remember correctly, the butt rest must be in the all the way back position, unlike the 650 in which the butt rest is moves forward to expose the screws. Remove the screws. On my 400, one screw was very difficult to remove and I almost stripped the head. After you remove the screws, push the buttrest adjustment lever and pull the butt rest all the way out of the seat. It comes out very easy.

Do not worry about damaging any thing (except stripping the screw heads). The screws only stop the butt rest from completely sliding out of the seat and are not attached to anything other than the butt rest tubes.

If you feel need more leg room, you will most likely find riding more comfortable without the butt rest.

As far as changing the height, I plan doing the same thing. My plan is to only raise the butt rest 2 or 3 inches. The stock butt rest frame extends at an angle and too far foward on the seat to give you all the extra room available on the seat. My riding buddy cut the bottom 1/3 of his butt rest frame off and recovered the frame so that he could get the maximum space back on the seat. However, he did not raise the height because he has a Utopia driver back rest on his 400. I am either going to cut the bottom of the frame off like my friend did and have a steel plate welded to it or I am going to get a machine shop to make me a new butt rest frame and have it recovered. I am leaning toward the later, because it would be earlier and not damage the stock butt rest. The new frame should be very easy make, a steel plate with two tubes welded into it.

If you have any other ideas let me know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Butt Rest

Roy-

Thanks for expanding my explanation. I ain't exactly always fluent in English. Too bad, since it's my only language.

I want to strip the foam and crap from under the butt rest, cover it with some type of padding (gel if I can get it), and re-cover using the original fabric/vinyl/whatever. Eventually, I want to strip the seat completely, re-layer the seat with a flat gel instead of the contoured foam, and re-cover with a slightly lower, a lot flatter seat. We'll see.

Yeah, I did remove the butt rest and life is much better now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried taking off the screws that were hard to see on each side of the light and VOILA its off. I was trying to remove the 2 larger screws which must be for the brackets.

Thanks for explaining that to me. Now I have a lot of room and can continue to see what I can do next for increased hieght while remaining thin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the buttrest is removed, can you ride the Burgman safely with it COMPLETELY REMOVED? I was wondering if you feel like you will slide back on the seat.

Could someone post a picture of the Burgman with the rest completely removed?

This is a big deal for me as I really like the Burgman but could use a little more legroom (I'm 6' 3") and would like to be a couple inches farther from the handlebars as well.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
jfrocke said:
When the buttrest is removed, can you ride the Burgman safely with it COMPLETELY REMOVED? I was wondering if you feel like you will slide back on the seat.
There is still a step-up in the seat between the driver and passenger sections after you remove the backrest which is more than sufficient to keep you from moving backwards.

You will have two holes in that step-up portion after backrest removal. I bought some black plastic 7/8" hole plugs at the hardware store to push into the holes. One of them falls out occasionally, so I carry a couple of spares. Eventually I plan to have the seat re-covered to cover the holes. I'll never want to re-install the backrest anyway, because it is so much more comfortable for me without it.

The two little screws that you have to remove in order to slide the backrest out were very tight. I couldn't get one of them out - I worked at it off and on for several days. I took the scooter in for my 500 mile service and asked the dealer to try and remove the remaining screw. The mechanic said that he tapped his screwdriver with a hammer and then it came right out :shock:

I'm going to look for someone in my local area to do the seat re-covering work. I love Corbin seats, and I know they would do the seat if I rode in to their facility in California (at least one person here has done that). Problem is, that would be a 3500 mile round trip for me. I'm also not sure that I need the foam altered. It's been quite comfortable on 200 mile rides. Maybe I need to do a 400 mile jaunt before deciding. I want to find someone with motorcycle seat experience - not just an auto upholstery place. If they can do something to make the seat look more streamlined, that would also be desirable - its kind of fat looking - particularly in the back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was glad to hear I am not the only one with a seat problem on the 400. I was a little concerned when I test drove the bike that it might be a problem. Picked my bike up last week. Friday night my girlfriend on I put 100 miles on it. And my butt hurt, my legs were a little cramped, and my spirits were very low. I think that I needed a 20 minute test drive and not just 5 minutes. My fault on that I suppose. But the bike is great for short scoots.

Anyway I thought well I could remove the backrest I guess, but what do I do about the holes? Thanks Pauljo for the plugs idea. Does that keep water out? Is there anyone here with a 400 that has removed the backrest and not redone the seat? I don't think I can offord to do that, although I would like to someday. Just have to figure out where to get it done.

Also, does anyone has a seat pad that they like. My tush and my girlfriend's would appreciate some suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Seat Mods

I modified my 400 last year and gained about 1" in leg room and raised the butt rest up about 1" . Helped a lot.

I did a post Sat aft. doing my 650. (Under aftermarket and Acc., best Mods so far)

The backrest on the 400 is a little more involved than the 650.

Jim

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
zendan said:
Thanks Pauljo for the plugs idea. Does that keep water out?
The plugs should keep water out under most conditions. I originally tried putting silicon sealant around them, but it looked yucky so I removed it. When I wash the bike, I try to avoid hitting the plugs directly with the hose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Backrest removal

After I removed the backrest I had enough room to be comfortable. I took a 150 mile ride on it and was very comfortable. Though I still want a backrest.

My idea was to try and locate one of the old plastic stacking chairs from the 70's. It had a simple thin base seat and backrest made of plyable plastic that were riveted on. If I remove the back part I can attach it to the Burgman frame with a layer of foam and then cover it. It should give me another 4-5 inches of hieght and still be thin enough. Only problem is finding one of those chairs. It wasn't too long ago they were everywhere and now I can't find one. If I do find one I will let you all know if it works or not. Anyone out there with one of these chairs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
SANDBERG,

How tall are you?

Wondering in what area you find the improvement with the back rest removed.

From sitting on a Burgman 650, I would like a little more legroom and more distance from the bars. Did you notice both being improved with the removal?

BTW, I'm 6'3"

·
Registered
47 Posts
backrrest removal

took the backrest off of my 650 and took a little ride to test out the riding position. I like the leg room and the extra reach but I noticed that the seat behind where the backrest was is hard as a rock! There isn't any padding back there so you end up right against the seat pan. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: backrrest removal

kbudl said:
took the backrest off of my 650 and took a little ride to test out the riding position. I like the leg room and the extra reach but I noticed that the seat behind where the backrest was is hard as a rock! There isn't any padding back there so you end up right against the seat pan. Any suggestions?
I guess you are right, if you touch it with your hand it feels hard. But I've ridden about 3000 miles with the backrest removed, and I've never had it bother me. I always wear a riding jacket, so that may provide whatever cushioning I need. Or maybe my butt... naw, we won't go there. :? When I do get around to having the seat recovered, maybe I'll have a thin layer of foam put in there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I removed the backrest it has been very comfortable within reason. I am 5'10" and it is a perfect fit. The hard back does not really bother me since my arm reach to the handlebars keeps my weight off the back. I will still be looking for that elusive plastic seat. I think that will make a thin enough yet supportive backrest. It may take awhile to find it but when I do I will report back.

I may also invest in one of those AirHawk inflatable seats for the long haul. They run $150 at some of the local rallies and should be worth the price. You don't have to alter your seat and is quick storable under the seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I need help!

Hi,

I tried to remove the backrest last night. Everything went well, until I tried to remove one of the two small screw near the lamp. One of them is turning with no resistance but don't want to come out. Any idea what I could do to remove it ?

Thanks

Petyot

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same problem. Make sure that you have the right size screw driver so that you do not strip the screw. I had to take a hammer and tap the screw a few times. It finally came out.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
One of them is turning with no resistance
Try pulling it out with a pair of long nose pliers .If all else fails get a small grinder and have-at-it. :twisted:
While we are at it, on the 400 after you take the back rest out if you remove the staples and take off just the bottom cover (not the sides or padding) you will see four nuts, remove them and the padded part comes off, you are left with a very flat small "pan" very easy to recover,
looks good, covers the holes, and still gives you a lot of leg room..
I wonder if this works on a 650. :?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts