Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I really need to check this belt at 7,500 miles like the manual says? (2009 400). Has anyone done it and found that it needed replacing at this mileage?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Will you be replacing the final drive fluid as the manual calls out? If so, all you need to do is measure the belt while everything is open.

Chris

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
This is one of those "Do you feel lucky today?" questions. Is it 100% necessary, no. Did Suzuki's engineers (and legal team) feel it should be done, yes.

It is a simple thing to do. And as a portending of catastrophic failure of the belt might be found (the sort of failure most likely to occur before it wears out--they do make defective belts), which would at best leave you stranded and at worst take a lot of other hardware with it; why not?

·
Registered
298 Posts
+1 While changing the final gear oil, you can look at it then. Didn't replace mine until 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Bought my 2008 [at 6500 miles] this July.
Took apart the CVT case at 8000 miles or so.
Found that the belt was fine, but a vast amount of belt dust in the variator. Yuk.
About to clean the CVT innards again, at 11500. It's not a tough chore. I just don't like dirt and crud in moving parts.
Also my speedo is cutting out, so I will check its wire and sensor plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts