Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an 03 w/+-20k, never had problems, no hint of trouble until the other day. Hit the gas after a stop and the engine revved loudly but scoot would only accelerate to about 40. Within 1/4 mile it there was almost no power to the rear wheel. Trailiered the bike home. On the center stand, when engine runs there is a light clacking tinlkling sound from the clutch area. (I think). Jumped the diagnostic code and get C00 with the ignition on but not running and with the engine running.

I have searched this forum but found nothing that addresses these specific symptoms. Looked on knowledge base but did not find anything.

I am asking for additional diagnostics I can run, what I should consider and any advice, opinions etc.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
JohnK brings up a point, is it shifting? You can test it while riding in Manual mode to see if it will shift into 2nd or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying. It's not the center stand switch. That operates freely with no sticking. When I started to lose power, I shifted to manual, but nothing changed, the bike continued to lose speed and power. I probably should also mention that I tried to see if the bike had enough power to assist in loading it on the trailer. It had no power and when I shut it down, there was a freewheeling noise, like tink, tink, tink...tink.....tink.......tink as the engine slowed down to a stop. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If the bike starts and runs fine but you get no power to the rear wheel it"s either the belt as suggested above or you've lost your primary splines. On my '03 I was riding it to work one day and as I was rounding a corner I heard a bang, then the engine would free rev with no power to the rear wheel and as I was coasting to a stop it made a light clunking noise. Mine failed in July 2010 with 26,228 miles on the odometer. I would suggest pulling both lower panels, the Primary bolt cover, and CVT air filter to see whats going on.

Here's my story. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/19486-chirping-noise.html Here's a link to photos of mine http://www.gotgroceries.net/modules.php?name=gallery2&g2_itemId=1147

Remove the two bolts and the Primary Bolt Cover

Inspect to see if the Primary Adapter (in green) has been spinning but not the bolt leaving marks (in red). You can also start the engine and see if the bolt spins with everything (splines ok) or does not spin (splines stripped).

If above is ok (everything spins fine) then pull the CVT air filter and see if the Secondary Pulley Fan (blue arrows below) spins with the engine running. If it does not spin then the belt is broken but if it does spin then the problem is somewhere else like the clutch also mentioned above.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hopefully I am wrong but your year and mileage puts you in a Twilight Zone where there have been reports of very expensive failures......you may want to check the advice here and then get an estimate from a mechanic and take into consideration that the cost to fix could be more than the bike's greatly diminished resale price. None of my friends who had these failures would have ever done anything but parted out or sold to a dealer as is on a trade if they had to do it over again.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I don't mind working on them but even doing the work yourself it's not like the parts are cheap though. Funny I could actually get a rebuilt transmission for a Hyundai ($1,600) for about the same cost of just parts to fix the CVT on my '06 650.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Completed the recommended inspections. The primary bolt appears OK. Everything turns and there is no evidence of damage. The secondary pulley fan spins and appears to be OK. Also checked the primary pulley stop bolt. Only a little bit of chipping, but nothing significant.

What conclusions can be drawn from this and what would be the next recommended steps??

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the recommendations, I take it that a C00 code is not a clean bill of health for the CVT. Is there a resource that spells out exactly what the codes do and do not check?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Completed the recommended inspections. The primary bolt appears OK. Everything turns and there is no evidence of damage. The secondary pulley fan spins and appears to be OK. Also checked the primary pulley stop bolt. Only a little bit of chipping, but nothing significant.

What conclusions can be drawn from this and what would be the next recommended steps??
From the recommendations, I take it that a C00 code is not a clean bill of health for the CVT. Is there a resource that spells out exactly what the codes do and do not check?
Ok CVT and belt seem fine. I would perform the clutch test next. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/546770-post2.html

C00 is basically no codes.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
All the codes tell you is that the ECM is getting no reading from a sensor or a reading that it considers out of acceptable range. A number of things can happen to the CVT or engine that will not cause a code to be set.

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Maybe the clutch went south. Ken is our guru on clutches. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for all the help. Here's a short video of my daily commute. You can see why I want to get the scoot back on the road. Going to work is a lot of fun!!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
What is the PPS and how do you test it?
Primary Pulley Position Sensor. Above in LeDudes signature is a link to his site which should cover PPS testing/replacement and clutch measurement/rebuilding.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts