Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my '08 Burgman 400 used this spring and brought it into the local dealer for its 14,500 maintenance (wish I had the time, patience, and tools to do the work myself $605 later). On my receipt under the recommendations it said "drive shieves grooved from consistant rpm opertion." First, I don't know what drive shieves are or what their purpose are (as you can tell I am not a mechanical person), and second, is this something that can wait or should I have it done with my next maintenance work? Also, I do not have an owners manual, is the next service at 18,000 miles? Thanks....

·
Registered
133 Posts
sounds like grooves on your face drives where the belt runs. if thats what it is, its normal. it will continue to wear with age.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, agree with burghman. The receipt is referring to the drive pulley faces where the drive belt runs. All the power goes through there. The pulley drive faces develop grooves over time as you ride. It's normal and usually you don't have to replace them for ages. These grooves come about due to maintaining a constant single cruising speed during long rides so all the wear takes place on one part of the pulley drive mechanism. These can be replaced anytime if they become bad. It's not serious so don't worry. We all have to do it sometime though.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
We all have to do it sometime though.
When would that be? I've heard 50k.

My bike is at 42k and it runs fantastic. I don't notice any difference from how it ran 5 years ago at 10k, except that its a little faster now. Things seem to have loosened up a bit.

Cdeptola1, you're probably good to go for a while. Oil every 4k, oil filter 8k, air filter every 10k (get a washable K&N filter), spark plugs last forever, but do them every 10k if you like. New rear brakes, belt & rollers every 20k. New clutch and front brakes at 40k. Face drives at 50k I've heard. Tires and clutch deglaze as necessary. That's about it. You shouldn't need much more. Most if this you can do yourself.

Oh, maybe a final drive oil change every 10k and a coolant change every 4 years. My milage and time estimates are based on my experience. Others may have a different opinion. Up to you. But the OEM manual is a bit stingy on the maintenance intervals, many of us add a little extra time or milage on to the recommendations.

Did I miss anything guys?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It's "sheaves", the dealer apparently did not know how to spell it either--the spec limit for grooving of the pulley faces is 0.4 mm (0.018") which is actually quite a bit. Place a straight-edge on the pulley face and see what it looks like. I have nearly 40k miles on my '03 and the groove has not worn appreciably (it's about 0.005" deep) since I first got the scoot with just 12k on it...

BTW it is the belt's Kevlar backbone that wears the groove, Kevlar is quite abrasive. We used to make rope from it and had to use ceramic guides for the yarns as it would chew right through chrome...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
On most other scoots the sheaves are behind the clutch{or at least parts called that}. The pulley faces are usually called drive or driven faces{official Suzuki parts diagrams use these terms}. The sheave behind the clutch can groove but I would think it would take many more miles than that, plus they grove from going up and down in speed not from a constant one. Most likely your dealer is talking about the drive face, although it could be the driven.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responses!!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
When would that be? I've heard 50k.

My bike is at 42k and it runs fantastic. I don't notice any difference from how it ran 5 years ago at 10k, except that its a little faster now. Things seem to have loosened up a bit.

Cdeptola1, you're probably good to go for a while. Oil every 4k, oil filter 8k, air filter every 10k (get a washable K&N filter), spark plugs last forever, but do them every 10k if you like. New rear brakes, belt & rollers every 20k. New clutch and front brakes at 40k. Face drives at 50k I've heard. Tires and clutch deglaze as necessary. That's about it. You shouldn't need much more. Most if this you can do yourself.

Oh, maybe a final drive oil change every 10k and a coolant change every 4 years. My milage and time estimates are based on my experience. Others may have a different opinion. Up to you. But the OEM manual is a bit stingy on the maintenance intervals, many of us add a little extra time or milage on to the recommendations.

Did I miss anything guys?

Good luck.
Hi Liam, I think the time/mileage interval will vary quite some depending on how the bike is ridden. Folks who do loads of steady speed highway work seem to wear the grooves more quickly than those who ride back roads all the time. I replaced both drive pulley faces and the clutch pulley on a bike with just 35k on it a few weeks ago. It was used exclusively on our motorways at 70mph all the time. Yet I've got 3 other Burgman 400 owners who's bikes I service and one only needed new pulley faces at 60k miles. He uses his on a wide variety of roads at differing speeds, rarely sticking to one speed for very long due to the nature of the road. Weight of the rider comes into it too, and if it carries a passenger too. Expect to replace earlier if lots of two up riding is carried out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts