Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Ya'll
Just acquired my new 05' about 10 days ago. Everything is GREAT !
Now I'am trying to do a little extras to it as time/money allow.
Went to the local Caterpiller dealer this morning an picked up a O-ring
for a throttle control, BEST 3.50 I've spent.....
I'am wondering if any body has put a drink holder on their scooter.. need one for bottle water or soda can.. ANY help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Marty

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I had a closable cup caddy (folds in to itself )from Pep bros. the only place I could think to mount it was up on the back of the passenger pack rest, when it's closed it is only 1/2 deep you have to look hard to see it black against black, It's adjustable and will hold a bottle or cup, but not for drinking while moving.
Took me a while to find out but a 20 oz soda bottle will fit in the left side of the main glove box on the 400.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a RAM mount mounted to both brake resevoir bolts.

On the left side I have a "floating" cup holder. Floating meaning it will always keep upright.

You can get the RAM mounts and cup holder here: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/?Item=RAM

It truly is a nice system, very versitile (sp?)

Daryl

·
Registered
409 Posts
from old post

I bought two cup holders a few years ago at one of the mc shows.

It velcroes on. I am using it on the Burgman now by putting velcro in the center glove box. When I put the tank bag on it attaches to the GIVI E52. Price was $12.00 for one or $20.00 for two. Unfortunately I have no photos. It is called a bike cooler.

Made by Steve Wasem at 2225 Lockamy Court Grove City, Ohio 43123-1569

I have no e-mail address or phone no.

Works great.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Edwljoseph said:
Made by Steve Wasem at 2225 Lockamy Court Grove City, Ohio 43123-1569

I have no e-mail address or phone no.
(614) 277-0920 Phone number provided by Bell South website and cross checked via Google.

I believe the email address is : [email protected]

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks BillMeek. $16???
Spunky, so that drink holder is attached to one of your brake reservoirs? Does the drink holder sort of hang out in front and to the side of your hands, toward the inside of the bike?

Ok, let me ponder this and see how you guys think of it. Take a regular drink holder. Cut the mounting lip off of it and the top of the arm leaving just the vertical piece to the mounting arm. Glue or attach some velcro to the back and velcro the other end on the dash. With the cup holder hugging up next to the glove box, it should provide some vertical stability.

And we don't, errr shouldn't, take corners so fast that our drink is gonna be doing 180's, right? So, a little 45 degree action should be ok. ???

what ya'll think? ??

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've been thinking along the same lines except for mountng it to the base of the mirror on the 400 and putting some padding on the back to keep it from rubbing the plastic on the handlebar cover.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also at first thought of using the plastic cupholders and mounting it to the 650. Only thing for me was that the opening is too wide. My bottle or can would easily tip or shift loose.

The RAM mount is secured where the 2 bolts secure the brake resevoir. The model number for the RAM is (RAM-HB2). The two screws holding the brake resevoir to the handlebar are removed and the RAM mount is placed using the screws included with it (they are longer). From this, the cup holder is placed. I used the RAM mounts with the 2 balls each side for versitality. On the left side, the cup holder and XM Radio (soon). The right side is the radar detector and GPS.

The cup holder hangs down and towards the inside of the handlebars.

Once we get a nice sunny day here, I'll post updated pictures of the RAM attachments on the Burgman.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Spunkysquid,
Just a thought
--with the weight and vibration on only 2 screws, which only hold on a cap in the first place --
I would keep an eye out for cracks or leaks at least while it's new.

But I have to admit it does give me some ideas -using velcro- :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is not the Screws on the cap.

It is the screws that bolt the reservoir to the handlebars. behind the plastic. It is very secure, items attached are on there very tight.

Here is the link of the earlier images of the RAM mounted to my 650: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/650-RAM-Mount

I will be putting up some new brighter images today, it is sunny out! :lol:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Spunky,
Did you cut some handlebar plastic for those RAM attachments to stick out on the front of your handlebar? Is that the standard practice? Does everyone do that in order to use a RAM mount?

What size RAM arm did you get? 1-3/4", 3", 5-1/4"? Is that a 1-3/4" for your radar detector (err.. Legal Speed Adjusting Device)?

I notice that the cup holder needs a coozie to hold a soda can. Do you need something similar to hold a soda or water bottle? How about a fast-food drink cup?

What I was thinking about was trying to find one of those self-adjusting type of cup holders and then modifying it.
Thanks for the pics. Really helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, with this particular RAM mount, I needed to cut the plastic in front of the brake resevoir bolts. I used a Dremel tool to cut out the section.

All the arms are 1 3/4". I like to keep everything compact and close to the handlebars as possible.

I included the new photos in the gallery showing the cupholder and the Roadmate 700.

For a soda can, you need to use the coozie. It is still loose enough in the bracket to still lift out the can with no friction. I guess you could take drinks while even riding, but I only drink while at a stop (and at an occasional bar).

The larger fast food drinks would fit in there with no coozie. Just put your hamburger in the left upper pocket, the fries in the right, and you can eat on the go :lol:

Daryl

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks Spunky.
Looks Great. You are all set now for that Tour of the Rockies this summer. :lol:

I am sorry for keep asking you questions, but I am so jazzed by the ability to mod this bike out that I want as much information as I can get.

If I may ask, do the RAM mounts hold up well during bumps? I was curious if you had drink spillage or had to reset its position due to bumps and the angle of that RAM arm???

Also, how are you liking the Roadmate 700?? Are you able to read it well enough at highway speed? I am thinking the road pavement causing blurred vision for the delicate reading?? Is that one waterproof?

I know. Tons of questions. I think I have become a "bug" on this BB. I apologize if I have.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've got a plastic gimbal-style drink holder. It was originally meant to hang on your car door clipped into the window slot. It is designed to let the drink pivot as you turn or accelerate and not spill. It was perfect in my 1980 Pinto, but didnt' work in my 1985 nissan pickup and hasn't been needed in any car since then. It can also be mounted with two screws. The problem is that it needs to be vertical when mounted and the only vertical place I can see on the 650 is the rear end. Ideally I'd like to have it centered right between my legs, and at about the seam above the glove box. I'm thinking about getting some 1.5" angle iron and making a bracket to screw it to. The horizontal half of the angle would need a slot into that seam and something to attach to in there. If I get it to work, I'll post some pictures. Primarily all I need a drink holder for is to hold the drink if I pick up some carry-out on the way home from work. Without a drink holder that's the one think the 650 doesn't do well. Add a little box to set the food sack in on the center hump and it would be the perfect carry-out fetcher.

Dave B.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No prob answering questions! This is a great bike, sorry.... scooter! :lol:

The RAM mounts are very secure. Once you tighten down the knobs, it will hold, even on bumps.

The cup holder, with the gimble, haven't had a spill yet.

The RoadMate 700 has been good, only thing it is not waterproof. I have some bags with elastic in the glovebox for a cover-up if needed. At highway speeds, you can read the display. There really isn't much vibration through the handlebars. One nice thing with the RoadMate is that it has auto brightness.

Daryl

·
Registered
761 Posts
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

heheheheee, I wonder if those console gadgets for cars could work for a hump bag??

... add some carpet or some of that non-slip material to the underside, bolt on some strapping or velcro in order to secure it to the bike... got your self a drink holder and a closeable stuf-box. hheee Some can even hold radios.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts