Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to drill the three holes to mount the OEM rear rack I picked up.

I have a step bit that goes to ~19mmish that should be adequate (instructions state 20mm, leg is ~ 18mm) and was figuring to clamp the plastic to a piece of plywood and just drill with a hand drill.
The two back ones look pretty straight forward, the front one seems to compass part of the curve and may be squirrely.

Any last minute advice?

Tromper

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, drilling holes in the plastic to utilize 'em. LeDude noted them as 8*.125 so that's what I picked up. If that's wrong I'll nab new ones tomorrow.
Annoyingly enough the rack didn't come with bolts even though the instructions indicate you should have 'em...

·
Registered
243 Posts
The tailpiece should be marked on the underside for the hole locations. Use the wood block to back it up and slow down the drill just before it goes through the top side. Let the drill bit cut the plastic, not punch through it.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
go to a hardware store and buy some step drill bits, it will make the job much easier.

drill a small pilot hole where the middle of the Xs are on the back of the piece.

put some masking tape on the other side to prevent paint chipping.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used tape on the exit side, laid it over wood (curved surface means less value in this), and used a forstner bit. Results were better than I expected -- clean holes, no chips or cracks.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hokay folks,

I got 'er done without major trauma.

I used a hand drill with a Harbor Freight stepped bit - 3/4" max size
Clamped it to a piece of plywood (scrap) between some sawhorses.
Taped finished side with low tack tape.
Drilled increasingly large pilot hold with normal bits starting with 1/16th, ending ~3/8-7/16 (tried a couple diff ones) I did not use ever size bit I had, skipped a couple between on the two easy ones skipped one in between on the tougher one.
The larger pilot hold allowed the stepped bit to seat better initially.

Results: 3/4 hold, fairly clean. I had to trim a little paint "flash" on the holes to keep 'em from catching and peeling at a later date.

I considered flipping them to finish the holes from the front. This make a little cleaner hole, and pretty much obviates issues with the paint flaking at all if you tape it. Since the holes are at something of an angle due to the shape of the piece you'd probably end up with a little bigger hole as well, but it may oval a bit as well.

Really my results seem fine just going from the back and having the surface taped, but it's something to consider.

Thing's I'd have done differently.
The recommended size is 20mm. 3/4 is literally a hair less. 13/16th is a hair more.
If I did it again I'd go 13/16th since my holes are a hair tight, but I think the 3/4 will be fine so probably won't take it apart and redo them anytime soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts