Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bored at work today. So, you get this.... :lol:

A few weeks back my girlfriend and I were doing some figure 8's out in the cul-de-sac while waiting for her son to get his GSXR ready to roll. We soon got bored with them and decided to perform a very unscientific Drag Race to see which of the scoots was faster.

A couple of Cudo's... We only raced about 200 feet, and I made the mistake of letting her say go both times. Obviously, when you let the other person say GO, they have a jump on you as they know when they are going to say GO and you don't.

Needless to say, I was Spanked. She was still pulling away when we hit the cutoff point at the next driveway. On a second run, she got me again. In all fariness, the 650 does weigh more and I outweigh her by some pounds also. But, she did beat me.

Of course, I then challenged her to see if she could keep up with me on a nice twisty road and she declined that, having previously experienced the rush of pulling up next to me after I had long since dismounted.

So, the message is clear... Silverwing might be a little faster off the line than the 650. However, the 650 will whip a swing cold when it comes to the twisties. Frankly, I find the twisties to be a lot more fun.

Either that or never let them say GO.

Joe

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in Auto. Power mode off. That probably would have made a great difference, come to think of it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yep. At the drag strip neither racer is allowed to trigger the green light. Street racers let a neutral person drop a red hankie or such. Neither driver should "know" when the race starts. Both should have to react to the start signal. Then reaction times can be used in the figuring.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Now - I don't know how may of y'all have been drag racing but I have once. One night. One really great night. It was called "nostalgia night.'

In real bracket racing you are allowed to go down the 8th or quarter mile a few times "on the lights" without competition to feel out your reaction time, speed and elapsed time (et). After youve made two or so runs down the strip you then "dial in to" those numbers youve seen on your time slip. You can go high or you can go low.

In bracket racing, you have to state your et and top speed in white shoe polish somewhere. I ran my 500$ 72 Dodge Swinger 318 on the 1/8th mile strip in Atmoore AL. I dialed in at 10.70/68 meaning 10.7 elapsed time with a terminal speed of 68 mph. That way when I was actually "racing," the timing light bubba knew how soon or how late to give me the green light vs. the prsn in the other lane.

I beat 2 ppl before a 67 SS 327 Nova did me in (a big block C-10 pickup and a GT Mustang).

It all boiled down to reaction times. I pulled a .355 reaction time agains a stout 327 67 Chevy Nova (beautiful car) and he beat me by a rch because he and I did not breakout and raced true to our assumptions. His reaction time was like .288. That's close. Actually I thought I beat him even though his car when flying by me in "the traps."

Nail in the middle of the second to last yellow if you have a ride that has loose chassis parts! But don't breakout!

Yeah - the prsn who says go does matter! :wink:
pedz

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Pete said:
Yeah - the prsn who says go does matter! :wink:
pedz
Particularly if the other fella is deaf! :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nothing beats the AN650 in Power Mode - the Silverwing and TMax are left in it's wake. I always like outdragging loudpiped TMaxs from the lights, even when I'm riding with a passegner on the back. It's always nice to show them who's boss. You can stay with TMaxs on the twisties and beat them the citcuit, too. Know your bike.

Try it again in Power Mode and right the wrongs that you have commited. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts