Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the heaviest weight? All I can find is a max of 21 gram. I was hopeing to find 23 gram. And what is stock weight for 2003?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why do you want a heavyer roller? I know i will be corected, but i thought 19gm was the standered weight. Would fitting 23gm rollers just make the motor work harder?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Acceleration would be very sluggish with 23g sliders, both "off-the-line" and at cruising speeds. At speed the engine revs will be quite low, well below the peak torque band.

Most people that have tried 21's end up wishing they hadn't...

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
According to the Suzuki parts lists,
the rollers in the variator are all the
same from '03 to '09....I believe they
are 20g.
I placed an order for some Dr Pulley
sliders, 20g like stock, with
www.buggypartsnw.com
They acknowledged my order, but based
on their experience, they recommended
19g sliders....I accepted that recommendation,
& am pleased with the 19g sliders they provided.
Lighter weight rollers or sliders will result in a bit
faster acceleration, but with a slight sacrifice
in top-end speed. Heavier rollers might give
a bit higher top speed, but at a serious sacrifice
in low speed performance..very sluggish take-off.
Dr Pulley sliders are also less costly that the
stock OEM rollers.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So 21 gram is as heavy as they come then. So then the dr. Pulley size for an 03 burgman 400 is 26x13 right? And what is the definitive stock weight?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The stock rollers on my '03 are 19g +/- 0.08g for all eight. However there is little correlation between the weight of the rollers and that of the DRP sliiders, as the sliders behave much differently.

FWIW, I am currently running four 15g and four 18g sliders with a modified ramp plate, which seems to be wringing about all there is from the engine. Acceleration from a standing start is brisk, at 60 actual mph (this would be 66 mph indicated with an uncorrected speedometer) the engine spins at 5800 rpm...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like that is what I need to do then. What mpg and what top speed are you getting with that? And you said un corrected speedometer. How do I fix that and keep the miles I've riden accurate also?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Sounds like that is what I need to do then. What mpg and what top speed are you getting with that?
I have optimised my '03 for performance, with mpg tossed to the wind. The practical top speed (actual) is 85 at 7700 rpm. I get 55 mpg in my normal riding, 60 with a 50/50 mix of Interstate and rural/suburban.

And you said un corrected speedometer. How do I fix that and keep the miles I've riden accurate also?
You cannot, it is one or the other. I prefer having the speedometer accurate and the accumulated miles under-reported by 10%...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now, what's the difference between that and speedo healer? Also, which one doesn't affect the miles traveld as bad?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
As cliffyk said, you get to make a choice. Correct speedometer reading or correct odometer reading. You are not going to get both. The same sensor (on the rear wheel) is used for both. The only way to fix both simultaneously would be to change the firmware for the instrument controller.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Now, what's the difference between that and speedo healer? Also, which one doesn't affect the miles traveld as bad?
There is no difference, they are just two products that do the same thing. As stated above by myself and Chatman128 neither will fix the speedometer and not affect the odometer. You get to choose correct speed or accumulated miles--not both...

As cliffyk said, you get to make a choice. Correct speedometer reading or correct odometer reading. You are not going to get both. The same sensor (on the rear wheel) is used for both. The only way to fix both simultaneously would be to change the firmware for the instrument controller.
The OP and I have pre-'07 400s, the speed sensor is on the front wheel. You would need a bigger tire up front to correct the +10% error, however there really isn't any tire size that would fit and satisfactorily fix the error.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well, just thought I would add to this.
I'm currently running replacement Dr 20gr round roller weights on a modified faceplate. The acceleration is wonderful, but have lost a bit on top end. MPGs really haven't changed that much - maybe lost 1 or 2.
I ordered 20gr sliders to see if I'll get the top end back (without losing much acceleration). BUT, I added a note stating that I would follow their recommendations if the 19gr would fit my needs - a bit more hwy riding and hopefully an increase in mpgs without losing much in acceleration. I guess I'll see what they send me :D
It's all good!

·
Registered
661 Posts
The Official reply;

Hi Thomas,
Yes, the 20g will give lower top speed RPMs than 19g would, and should lead to overall MPG gain. The key is making sure they are placed in the variator correctly and that none tip over when reinstalling the variator into the bike. If you performance gets worse after installing these weights, check them again to make sure none have tipped over.
You can see a guide on how to place them into the variator here.
Thank you for your business.
Regards,
Michael Baird
Owner - Buggy Parts NW

So, I guess I'm good to go with the 20gr weights. It's always reversible afterall - :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts