Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I note the Dr pulley sliders part SR2613/RR2613 come in 4 weight sizes namely 16,18,19 &21
Could someone please advise what the different weights deliver because I need slow riding and freeway speeds---- 0 to 40kph and 75kph and over
Plus best place to purchase internationally (Australia )

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Most (not all) on this site that have switched to them are running 18 g ones.
Order direct from the manufacture :wink:

Reactions: R1200

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Desertrat,

Is the manufacturer Dr Pully? I goggled, got nothing except a couple of vendors selling them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recently switched to 19gram sliders from Dr. Pulley. The reason being . . . I plan to do mostly interstate driving on my commute to work & back. Although I haven't had much time to fully experience & test the MPG with my new sliders, I can say that it knocked my rpm's down by 900 which is pretty significant. When I was on the interstate, the engine didn't sound like it was wound out as tight which was what was worrying me before, being so closes to red-line. They also really smoothed out the acceleration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I note the Dr pulley sliders part SR2613/RR2613 come in 4 weight sizes namely 16,18,19 &21
Could someone please advise what the different weights deliver because I need slow riding and freeway speeds---- 0 to 40kph and 75kph and over
Plus best place to purchase internationally (Australia )
i run 19 grams in my 2007 400 AN i changed to the dr pulley sliders and cant believe its the same bike it made my hwy 110 km like my old 90 im in heaven plus my millage pr gallon stayed the same highly recommend this if you travel on the freeway

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I use Dr Pulley 19g in my 2008 AN400. About 40,000 miles on them, still in good shape. If I did it again, I would get next heavier ones. Or use 3 of one 3 heavier ones as an experiment. I'm interested in MPG not drag racing.

Reactions: R1200 and s-steel

·
Registered
348 Posts
Could someone please advise what the different weights deliver
I still own my Burgman 650 K9 going on 10 years where we don't have roller and sliders so I'm new to the B400 family.

I recently bought the 2018 Burgman 400 and see all these topics on Dr pulley sliders, which is completely new to me.

For those who installed 16,18,19 or 21 sliders, what area of performance are you trying to change?
Let's say someone installing 16g sliders versus 21g sliders -are you trying to lower RPMs to gain top end speed?...or trying to increase RPMs for faster acceleration with lower top end speed? If you lower your RPMs using(Dr Pulley Sliders), does it feel that the engine is lugging at lower RPMs at speeds of 70 to 80+ mph(113 to 129+kph)?

For myself in the future I would like to lower my RPMs as much as possible if cruising 70 to 80+ mph(113 to 129+kph) sacrificing minimum to present acceleration on a Stock Burgman 400 -if this is possible?
Which sliders(16,18,19,21) would work best in my situation on my B400cc engine?

It's a difficult question for me as I have no experience and no point of reference in this area. Someone who installs 16g sliders, what are they trying to accomplish on the B400 versus someone installing 21g sliders?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Any weight DP sliders will reduce cruising rpm, lighter will just delay the speed that happens. Also I don't think any weight will hurt acceleration. Heavier weights will move out faster and therefore "shift" quicker and and generally lower rpm under acceleration. 16 gm was just a little too light for me (little higher than necessary on acceleration), 17 is just right for me but you can't find those separately so i highly recommend 18 gm. Will give better acceleration than stock and lower cruising rpm.

Reactions: R1200

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sliders also allow a little more range of the variator, both low and high ratios.

Don't forget about the contribution of the contra spring in the rear driven pulley/clutch to overall CVT performance. This spring contributes to down shifting during deceleration. Stiffer contra spring quicker down shift when reapplying throttle after deceleration, softer contra spring, slower down shift. The spring closes the rear pulley and opens the variator when off throttle/deceleration. A downside to heavy variator rollers/sliders and stiff contra spring is more pressure/friction applied to the belt and increased belt temperature.

It's a balancing act.

I recently installed 19g sliders. Acceleration is still good up to about 70-75 MPH (indicated). There are 2 things I don't like with this set up so far, 1) from 75 and up acceleration is quite slow, 2) at 70 and above, when you start up a grade/hill, there is no accelerating, it might hold speed as you add throttle, but not accelerate. 80 MPH indicated is ~6,000 RPM now. I'm thinking about trying lighter sliders or stiffer contra spring to regain better down shift performance. YMMV

GDub, where'd you find 17g sliders?

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
You can mix match slider weights to archive your target weight. 3 16 gr + 3 18 gr = 6 17 gr.

Reactions: R1200 and s-steel

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank you G-Dub, JRoss, Dave_J - that really helps! Since buying my B400, I see so many Dr Pulley postings and had no idea what all of you were trying to do. Now it makes sense. I saw a post where the roller bearings are changed every 14k-15k miles, then I saw a Dr Pulley post on someone who went 40k miles on his sliders. Big difference! I'm not saying I want to go 40k mi on these sliders, but the B400 seems to be a completely difference animal🐻 then the motorcycle and scooters. they are competing against.

In another post, I compared the B400 against other motorcycles and scooters that I've owned. The price on the B400 is higher than the competition, especially in motorcycles -however performance, cruising speed, windscreen, storage on even a completely stock B400 is comparable to many larger motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I recently installed 19g sliders. Acceleration is still good up to about 70-75 MPH (indicated). There are 2 things I don't like with this set up so far, 1) from 75 and up acceleration is quite slow, 2) at 70 and above, when you start up a grade/hill, there is no accelerating, it might hold speed as you add throttle, but not accelerate. 80 MPH indicated is ~6,000 RPM now. I'm thinking about trying lighter sliders or stiffer contra spring to regain better down shift performance. YMMV

GDub, where'd you find 17g sliders?
I got the 17g sliders from an individual selling them, I believe he said they came with an aftermarket variator, maybe DP. They must be a slightly different size than the standard sliders, because top RPM is slightly lower than other weight DP sliders. (Around 8K at 95+mph, where other sliders were around 8.3K.) You can always mix two weights as Dave suggested (although there are 8 weights instead of 6).

The 16g I used were DP ROLLERS, not sliders as I said earlier. If you want higher RPM on take-off and also like the higher RPM at cruising, this is what I would suggest (16 or 17g equivalent, stock is 19g). From around 55 or 60 mph they match the stock rollers (6K at 60 mph, 7K at 70 mph, etc). The CVT also seems more "fluid" (for lack of a better word) with the 16g rollers, rpm increases more when you add throttle than with heavier sliders. I went back with sliders as I liked the reduced rpm at highway speeds, though at the expense of a little high-speed acceleration.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Suzuki engineers did a fine job of tuning the 400's CVT in factory configuration.

FWIW, my stock rollers were in excellent shape when I replaced the belt at 14,500 miles. Could have just cleaned and reinstalled them. I put the sliders in primarily for the increased variator range...just wish I would have went with lighter weight. Also, remember Suzuki changed the final drive gear ratio on MY 2010 to ?? (6.484) so they will run higher RPM (about 700) at highway speed (75) than the MY 07-09 (5.904).

Anyway, there is a lot of information on CVT 'tuning' on these forums, just have to use the ole search. There's also a lot on YouTube for smaller displacement scooter CVTs...the principles are the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts