Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice and insight to a situation I'm having.

So I installed 19g Dr Pulley sliders into my Burgman 400 several days ago, and it dropped my RPMS down almost 900. I was very happy. I then did an oil change on the scooter. However, yesterday when I took it on the freeway, it no longer performed as well as when I first put the slider weights in. At 70 mph, it was reading 7000 RPMS!!! At 60 mph, 6000 rpms. It used to read only about 5700 rpms at 70 mph.

What is going on inside my variator? How could this be happening? I did shave off the sharp edges with a dremel tool as recommended when I first put the Slider weights in, but how can my RPMS go up so high in just a few days of installing them? I know I put the sliders in the right way.

I'm confused and I need advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sliders have been known to flip for various nebulous reasons.

Otherwise, you have some kind of binding issue going on. Possibly preventing the sliders from ... er ... sliding. This is commonly caused by excessive dirt/belt dust in the transmission. At this point you need to go back in the transmission and see if you can determine what's going on. I'd open 'er up and put 'er on the center stand and watch the operation of the transmission, looking for smooth operation of the variator and associated parts.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned out the dirt and dust out of my transmission when I put the sliders in, but yes, I will examine them later today.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the sliders did flip, how do I can prevent them from flipping again?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Knowing that I needed to retain pressure against
the slider/roller push-plate when I re-installed the
variator onto the crankshaft, I used a folded piece
of cardboard/fiberboard behind the push-plate, so
that I could get my fat fingers out of the way when
pushing the variator onto the shaft.
The cardboard I used was the kind you get when
you buy a new 'dress shirt'....about 2 inches wide,
& folded to about 1 inch wide, & long enough to be
able to pull it out, as the variator/slide-plate
became seated. Worked for me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, I just opened up the variator and I was shocked at what I am seeing. The sliders are already showing lots of wear and tear. There is also some dust accumulated in the variator already. How could this be? Did I shave off the sharp edges wrong or something? Help!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have a picture of what a properly modified ramp plate ought to look like? I feel that I did not do a good enough job of sanding down the sharp edges, but when I touch them it sure feels smooth enough...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, thank you. It says that he actually welded on more material? I shaved off the sharp edges... Darn. I'll have to go back to stock rollers at this point because I don't know how to fix the dramatic wear and tear on these DPS sliders.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Here and here are descriptions of my experiences with DRP sliders and my '03 400.

In 30k+ miles I have not had the sliders "flip"; for 18k or so of that I ran 8 18g sliders, for the last 12k I have been running 4 18g and 4 15g.

The photo below shows a close-up of the modifications I made to the ramp plate fingers, no material was added, just removed:

As you can see the "hook" has been for the most part removed. If the sliders are being chewed up not enough of the hook has been removed--when I had just "broken" the sharp edges of the fingers the 18g sliders looked like this in just 250 miles, and there was white plastic "swarf" all over the inside of the variator:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the help guys. Here's what I did, seeing as how I couldn't correctly modify the plate; I took the worn out slider weights out, and put in the OEM stock rollers. I didn't want to deal with the hassle to trying to smooth out the ramp plate just right so I guess I'm just sticking with the OEM rollers from now. It's been quite an experience and I can say I learned from this lesson.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Can you get a photo of the sliders, I am curious as to how much they wore?

As I found and you have now found it takes a bit more than just breaking the sharp edges to prevent the sliders from wearing, the contour of the ramp plate "finger" has to altered to enlarge the contact area of the finger and slider.

However it is not a huge task, 15 to 20 minutes with a Dremel tool and a carbide round-nose tree burr will do it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sounds a bit odd, i used only a needle file and didn't remove that much of the material. Do '06 and '07 have so different ramp edges, in the pictures it doesn't look so.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a picture of the sliders but they were pretty bad. I'm just going to stick with the OEM rollers and not bother with the DPS anymore. It has been a bad experience

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Sounds a bit odd, i used only a needle file and didn't remove that much of the material. Do '06 and '07 have so different ramp edges, in the pictures it doesn't look so.
The '03-'06 and '07+ ramp plates are quite different. They have different hub offsets and ramp angles, and are not at all interchangeable. Here's a side-by-side of the '07+ plate and my modified '03 plate:

You can see the fingers on the modified plate are very much like those on the newer plate, and much less "hook-shaped" then the stock 'pre-'07 plate shown below:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I took the 'burr' off the edges with
a fine grinding stone...got about
1/16th inch shiney edge. Then
used a 'flap-sander' for smoothing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
kxj5906

That is too bad you had those problems. I studied hard and the two camps are either round of the stock edges on the fixed plate or add material like I did and also round off the edges.

Both work fine but the belt can go a little bit higher the way I did it for a slight bit higher gearing but might not be noticeable. We will see when I have the CVT back together with the new HIT clutch. Either way this is a good picture of how the edges are rounded and smaller gap I have looking from a top view for future reference.

IMG_2869 by evanbelkom, on Flickr

IMG_2866 by evanbelkom, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Here's a side-by-side of the '07+ plate and my modified '03 plate
Thanks, Cliff -- i saw the first picture before but with that second one i can see the difference now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it true that you can just add DPS sliders without having to modify the ramp plate on the 2007+ models?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sooner yes than no. I installed mine without modifying the ramp first, because i didn't feel the edge was sharp at all. But at the next cvt service i ground off a bit just to have peace of mind. The sliders didn't show signs of wear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts