Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am from Belarus, so forgive me for my English. I want to put the sliders, but I do not know how much weight better. You can make a table for clarity
weight|roller ...../sliders ....
rpm speed
4000 ..../....
4500 ..../....
5000 ..../....
5500 ..../....
6000 ..../....
6500 ..../.....
7000 ..../.....
PS
if something is not clear or incorrectly written, fix me

·
Registered
341 Posts
;) Welcome Belarus ;)

I'm fairly new to Burgmans but I've found that for every 1000 RPM's I'm going that same (not in 1000's) miles per hour.
So, if I'm going 5000 rpm's, I'm going 50 mph. The speedo reads 10% faster and I'm taking that into account.
So, 5000 rpm's = 50 mph BUT the speedo reads 55 mph.
This formula does not work below the 3000 rpm range because that's where the forward drive begins.
At least that's how my bike works , and I'm sure the rollers are factory (I have a 2008 400)

Also, it would be almost impossible to give you the stats you are asking for because of all the variables like road conditions and your weight, your windscreen and probably a lot of others...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
;) Welcome Belarus ;)

I'm fairly new to Burgmans but I've found that for every 1000 RPM's I'm going that same (not in 1000's) miles per hour.
So, if I'm going 5000 rpm's, I'm going 50 mph. The speedo reads 10% faster and I'm taking that into account.
So, 5000 rpm's = 50 mph BUT the speedo reads 55 mph.
This formula does not work below the 3000 rpm range because that's where the forward drive begins.
At least that's how my bike works , and I'm sure the rollers are factory (I have a 2008 400)

Also, it would be almost impossible to give you the stats you are asking for because of all the variables like road conditions and your weight, your windscreen and probably a lot of others...
and if on a stretcher?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mines a 2010 with 19g sliders they changed the final drive in 2009 so they rev higher after that date that may be the date they moved the red line up a bit as well.

on it's org rollers it did
20 mph = 3750
30 mph = 4100
40 mph = 4750
50 mph = 5200
60 mph = 5750
70 mph = 6550
80 mph = 7500

On Doc pulley sliders 19g it did,
20 mph = 3700
30 mph = 4300
40 mph = 4700
50 mph = 4950
60 mph = 5450
70 mph = 6000
80 mph = 6850

These are clock speeds and as near as I can tell, don't think I would like
it to rev much lower, the rev drop does not sound much but it makes it
a much better high speed cruiser.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I feel better now . . .

Well, I do feel a bit better.

Cleaned out the CVT last night (full of gunk) so after cleaning and dry-lubing everything I went for a test ride this afternoon.

I'm running the 21 gr sliders and I remembered when I first put them in that the RPMs would literally drop when I hit 70 (indicated). Now I don't see such a drop but with the cooler weather (mid/upper 60s F) today, if felt like a sports bike and I almost red-lined it today (something I've never been able to do) - but I thought that about 90 indicated was fast enough.

At least this overweight aging old man now feels better that the RPMs are closer to what they should be.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Now I don't see such a drop but with the cooler weather (mid/upper 60s F) today, if felt like a sports bike and I almost red-lined it today (something I've never been able to do) - but I thought that about 90 indicated was fast enough.
Hmm, with 21 reaching red line @ 90? Looks like rollers characteristic.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Red line at 90 with 21g sliders sounds a bit high, could some of the sliders have flipped when you put it back.
When I say high I mean for sliders about right for org rollers.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Ralph M, I was still hundreds of RPMs away from redline - I just thought that flying down the highway at 90 (indicated) was fast enough. The bike wasn't wobbling or anything else, I just thought I'd stop. Also, the bike usually isn't ridden at anything past 5,500 RPMs, so to just suddenly start riding it that fast concerned me. I don't need to suddenly blow an engine that hasn't been conditioned to that high of an RPM range from the start. Besides, I had just cleaned all the gunk out of the variator, checked the belt, greased what needed to be greased and put it all back together. I guess with the cooler weather my scoot thought it was bigger and badder than it is. I mean, really, how much "badness" can it project on my short ride to work every day? :rolleyes: (I still get the occasional :joker: that calls it a moped.)

Now, if I had been clocked at 100+, then it would have been considered a very expensive badge of honor. "Excuse me sir, the officer said you were clocked at over 100 mph. How do you plead?"

"Your honor, that's a scooter, a one cylinder scooter. There's no way it could ever have gotten that fast." :evil4:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
18 g ran 95 @ under 8000. Don't ask me how i know, but there's definitely someth wrong with your 21s.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's not going to blow up at 9000 revs it's a short stroke engine intended to rev it will hit the limiter before that happens more damage can often be done by them not revving high enough, a engine can get conditioned to low revs if it as never been revved for many thousands of miles a ridge can form at the top of the bore and if it's then revved hard you get a little stretch in the con rod and break a ring, I have not come across it on a modern bike engine. You are right they just sit there at a indicated 90 and you could think you are doing 60 or 70 for a lardy scooter they can get a move on, as for people thinking its a moped you just need to watch the cagers they see a scooter and think it's a restricted 50 so will move heaven and earth to get in front it does not seem to matter to them that you are going faster than they usually drive and it's quite entertaining watching a 90 year old granny go steaming passed holding her hair net on at some unlikely speed only to hit the anchors as soon as they get passed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's not going to blow up at 9000 revs it's a short stroke engine intended to rev it will hit the limiter before that happens more damage can often be done by them not revving high enough, a engine can get conditioned to low revs if it as never been revved for many thousands of miles a ridge can form at the top of the bore and if it's then revved hard you get a little stretch in the con rod and break a ring, I have not come across it on a modern bike engine.
So with the stock rollers the bike is not stressing at 7200rpms on the freeway right, because the power the sliders take away by keeping you under 6000rpms at 80 I miss and often times I feel like its lugging.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
to rev it will hit the limiter before that happens more damage can often be done by them not revving high enough, a engine can get conditioned to low revs if it as never been revved for many thousands of miles a ridge can form at the top of the bore and if it's then revved hard you get a little stretch in the con rod and break a ring, I have not come across it on a modern bike engine.
That's what I was thinking about - I've got over 14,000 on it now, most of it around town and 5,500 RPM highway miles. I did, um, open it up once when it was knew - don't rightly recall what the RPMs were, but it was shaking so bad (think it was the road) that I didn't hold it there.

I didn't do an easy (by the book) break-in, but then I didn't run it in to the ground either. I basically broke it in like I was going to ride it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So with the stock rollers the bike is not stressing at 7200rpms on the freeway right, because the power the sliders take away by keeping you under 6000rpms at 80 I miss and often times I feel like its lugging.
No stressing @ 7200, but this is not comfortable cruising speed either. With smaller weight acceleration from 80 to 95 is unbelievable, i find little difference when accelerating from 40 to 60. But with heavier weight the roll on power is not readily available, because engine runs in overdrive, or economy mode and the magic button of the 650 to force the gear down is missing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No stressing @ 7200, but this is not comfortable cruising speed either. With smaller weight acceleration from 80 to 95 is unbelievable, i find little difference when accelerating from 40 to 60. But with heavier weight the roll on power is not readily available, because engine runs in overdrive, or economy mode and the magic button of the 650 to force the gear down is missing.
So I guess I don't understand why Suzuki made it to run in that range on the freeway if its not a comfortable cruising speed for the engine. They seem to market the bike as freeway capable? But it seems then it would be detrimental to the engine to go on a 1000 mile freeway trip and keep it at 7000 the whole way. At indicated speeds of 75 which is needed to keep up on freeway mine is turning right about 7000.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
They seem to market the bike as freeway capable?
Yeah, but that's for Japanese people :)

The left lane speed on many hwys in my area now is about 95 wherever traffic is not jammed. It increased not so long ago when new immigration policy invited numbers of newcomers with free cash who not only bought out stale expensive car stock, but also brought their drive manners with 'em.

I'm trying to avoid this lane on the B400 as much as possible but sometimes you still need it because of certain traffic situation. That's where that extra 3000 rpm come in handy.

Also it could be quite dangerous to cruise at speeds close to bike limit, both from technical and road point of view.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Did a small bit of testing today and if I've really got the 21 gram sliders, then they're giving the same basic RPM vs. speed as the 19 gram ones in the first of this thread.

My speeds are based on the speedometer.

Hmmm, maybe I should weigh them the next time I have them out of the bike.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
To be honest I only look at the rev counter when I read a thread about it, most of the
time I just open the throttle and let it get on with it, I just dial in the required speed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah - I think Suzuki has it setup the way it should be stock and I am just leaving mine alone. I am glad though that others have had success with their mods.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
They flipped again, didn't they?

·
Registered
413 Posts
They flipped again, didn't they?
Yes but I didn't want to bitch about it LOL!

The same two flipped again, in less than 100 miles. I really don't get the reason why either. But having had the rollers back in for a while I saw how the lowered RPM's on the freeway aren't that good for my passing and aggressive riding needs :p

I was talking to the guy at Cycle Nation in Canton just a little north of me to see if he knew why they might be flipping and he also discouraged the use of them if they brought the RPM's down that much at highway speeds. He said the bike would be lugging to overcome wind and rolling resistance at those speeds. He said that may not hurt anything, but could cause oil consumption and extra engine wear and only time would tell. So I'll just leave it alone. They sell and work on burgmans up there and he's seen quite a few still running perfect in their stock form at 50,000 miles and not to worry.

Not easy for me either since I worry all the time. It's **** inside my head ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts