Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

this is aimed at guys who have done this upgrade, and have experience with the various Spring Rates.
I can't make head or tail of the piece of paper that came with the clutch kit. I am struggling to understand what changes where for what responses.

I basically fitted the clutch as it came, although I mentioned I'm a heavier rider, and not sure about the different pillow spring tensions, could they make any recommendations.

Mine takes around 3500 rpm, but a;most feels like it "bogs" slightly as this is slightly lower rpm's than the scoots powerband. Also, with me being heavier, this adds to the weight issue. Then I have a slight vibration as the speed builds up, and then it's smooth sailing once we're going.

So with the various spring sets supplied, what is better to change for a slightly heavier rider. Lighter main springs, or heavier pilliow springs?

Suggestions welcome chaps.

regards

Alan

·
Registered
345 Posts
PER HIT CLUTCH:
http://www.unionmaterial.com/Instruction for HIT-V1-mini.pdf

the clutch spring is used to determine the rev at which
the clutch weight is going to
engage (i.e., initial clutch-in)
with the clutch outer.

The pillow spring
is used to determine the
timing when
the
push pin can receive the torque transmitted from the engine and thrust against the pillow to compress the clutch weight to
grab the clutch outer very tightly.
Best thing to do is to make one change at a time, then go ride, and then make another singular change vs. two changes concurrently.

To remove the vibration from take off, I would make a change to a lighter pillow spring rate to shift the timing (when the torque is transmitted to the rear wheel) a bit later.

To change the RPM engagement point to, say 4k rpms vs. 3.5k rpms, I would change to a lighter clutch spring.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Right said but only vice versa. A lighter spring whether clutch or pillow will engage corresponding mechanism sooner, not later. On the contrary, to get late timing a heavier spring is required. I've found that 16.5 kg yellow for the clutch and 12.5 kg blue for the pillow work best with the OEM bell. However that at the expense of a bit excessive slippage. You may want try 14.5 kg black for clutch and leave pillow spring as installed, i believe that is 10 kg red.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jedd, they also emailed me some updated articles, and said I probably need a lighter pillow spring. The Clutch initial "bite and go" is perfect, but it's that secondary "drag" which has the slight vibration. Def don't want to change the first Spring take as it's taking fine, approx 3500 rpms..

Will make changes and see how it goes.
tks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yea, I agree about changing the pillow spring first. The initial engagement at 3500 rpm is right where it needs to be.

Definitely let us know what size pillow spring used and whether that helped cure your issues. I'm @ 140 lbs weight, so I don't feel that I have a problem when I ride solo. But in the past when I rode 2up and had some gear under the seat, I did notice my hit clutch taking a tad too much of a bite while the motor was still trying to build up power. It doesn't do it all the time w/ 2 up, but the one or two times I felt it, it made me want to get back in it to play around w/ my stock hit setting. It's all good and fun to do!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Some feedback gents.

I use my Burgman daily to commute from home to work, come rain or shine. I've put almost 35 000 Km's on the scoot since I bought it in 2013, doing a daily ride of around 70 Km's there and back. I'd like think I know how my scoot reacts, responds, and when things are good or bad.

After a few months of Malossi Rollers, and FINALLY fitting a new Belt a few Km's back, I didn't have a problem per se' with my stock clutch, except the two up (and I guess solo riding) drag on pull-off. All the reports spoke about this, and the adjustability etc.

So went the whole hog, and imported a complete clutch kit, spare springs come with it, two sets of sliders, sliding pieces, the lot. Cost me a fair whack as my exchange rate isn't so good at 12 Rand to the Dollar, but I needed the right stuff, as I intend keeping the Scoot for a fair number of years still.

Anway, I fitted the stock clutch and stock springs.. I didn't LOOK what they were at first, but upon inspection last night when I removed it, the clutch has BLUE Clutch Springs, and I'd say the 10 Kg Red pillow springs. These I felt were too heavy, I had a vibey ride in traffic at the "grab point" for the past 3 weeks, and I was getting the Slider weights drilled out to make them lighter. I had a brain fart and ordered 30 Gram in stead of 20 gram.. EPIC FAIL.. lol.

So, last night, borrowed a spring puller from a mate, and went to the lighter 6.5 Kg Pillow Springs, I think it was the PINK set. Gladly didn't have to remove the huge nut etc, and at the same time, cleaned out the dust and cleaned the variator, and fitted the new, 19.3 Gram Sliders..

Just got back from a morning spin to check whats what.

1. The slight vibration I had in traffic is gone. This happened at commute speeds, around 4 500 to 500 rpm's. So the clutch had already engaged, but the pillow springs were still engaging, and this is the vibration I felt. kind of like them knocking off and on the clutch.. So now, the lighter pillow springs allow the clutch shoes to engage and stay engaged at that rpm, no vibration. Twist and go, it's a smooth hook up and you're away from the cars and up to speed. 10/10 for that result.

2. The Sliders. This is a strange situation, which I really like. I noticed when it all arrived, I fitted the much lighter 18 gram sliders, and the bike easily revved into the red line, which everyone says is ok, but I tend to feel more mechanical sympathy. I'm not looking for GP bike performance, but a nice balance between the two, thus why I had to keep using the 20 gram Rollers until I got my Sliders drilled out.

Now the Bike rev's up to about 7 500 rpm's, and that's it, however, the speed continues to rise and keeps on.. So, previously, at 120 Kmh, I was just on, or over 8000 rpms. With the heavier rollers, this was slightly under 8 K, which I was happy with as I choose not to rev the motor that high. The Sliders do a weird thing witht he added material in the design, and at 120 Kmh, my rpm's were like, 5 700 or somewhere there. At LEAST 2 000 rpm's lower! And in fact, I crept the speed up closer to 140, and the rpm's do not climb above 6K.. The Bike sounds a lot happier at these rpm's, and speed is no problem. Again, a 10/10.

So all in all, my feedback is VERY successful and positive. a GREAT investment if you intend to keep using the scoot for a few years, I know I intend to, and I'm also not straining the motor at all when on the freeways, where before, over 8K, there was a lot of harmonizing and gentle vibe at those rpm's. I'm certainly not straining the motor now, and can easily cruise 130 to 140 if need be.

My thanks and appreciation to the guys and girls at Dr Pulley, Union Material, clearly a MASSIVE improvement over the stock setup in my opinion.

Have an AWESOME 4th of July everyone, from Cape Town, South Africa.

cheers

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts