Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Pirelli tire put on at a local dealer today and recieved some sad news.
He said he may be dropping Suzuki Motorcycles (after 20+ yrs.) because of the Corporate Sales Dept. The 2005 year they are dropping some Styles of bike (Volusa, etc.) and replacing them with the "Boulevard Series".

To maintaine his dealership, he is required to buy 30 new machines along with $50,000 worth of "Boulevard clothing". Not to mention all the other products (ATV's, scooters, dirt bikes, sport bikes etc) he needs to carry. They are doing this to try and increase market share by forcing the smaller dealer to buy more. I commented "sounds like a Harley wanna-be", he said yup , and is looking into other options.

To me it sounds like "Small Dealers Not Welcome"!

If this happens, that will make 2 Suzuki dealerships, with-in 30 miles of me that have dissapeared in 3 months.
At this rate the only place to buy a Suzuki will be in a larger city, forcing the customer to 1 of 2 choices. Either be inconvienced by the distance (so much for supporting the local economy) or simply purchase a different product.

Suzuki be carefull, I understand everyone needs to make a fair profit to stay in business, but if you blow off the smaller local dealers that made you, then there is Honda, Yahama, Kawaski and other manufactures out there to fill the Void.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, the dealer I was going to buy a Bergman 650 from drop his Suzuki line. Now I know why. Didn't want to get a Silverwing but at least I can get it serviced and get parts for it. Suzuki is getting dime wise and $100 bill foolish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Suzuki, has it occured to anyone in charge of the Corporate Crystal Ball that the "cruiser" market may be cooling and that you may be a little late arriving to the dance? You may be missing the next "fad" by not adequately promoting the Burgman. Stop trying to be a wanabee and be a leader.:blob6:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dear Suzuki there are some fantastic suggestions on this website and I totally aggree the CoolP the cruiser market is played and saturated. I bought the 650 Burgman because it was DIFFERENT ... BE THE LEADER WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN BE!!! I would definitely be interested in a larger Burgman as well as a 250cc !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's a different take on the subject. Suppose Suzuki became pleasantly surprised regarding the public's embrace of the Burgman. While at the same time Suzuki changed their outdated lineup (exception of Volusia) of cruisers and brought out a re-badging and re-painting of the same tired line up. Suppose Suzuki hasn't turned to the potential that the baby boomers today that "built" the cruiser market from Harley, Honda, Kawasaki,Suzuki to Yamaha (not to even mention the chopper scene), will be the same ones to take it down. The baby boomers are fast approaching age 60 and pushing those heavy iron cruisers all the while shifting and clutching are getting tiresome---not to mention the expense of the purchase of the cruisers, etc. Suppose Suzuki in their zeal to prop up their cruiser share literally has lost sight of those increasing sales figures on the scooters! While Suzuki may be heading for the "botique" mode aka Harley, Vespa the smaller dealer does suffer.

YET--the smaller dealer has found a particular niche in his neighborhood. It may be dirt biking, motocross, cruising, etc. Certainly the smaller dealers have not had the foresight to embrace the scooter product. (It is just a fad isn't it?) Consider the expense to the smaller dealer to send their technical staff to the Burgman training, the increased part inventory (?). In short as I think Suzuki may be short sighted in their marketing department regarding the Burgman, I also think that the smaller dealers are resisting change and only selling the Burgman's due to heavy handed ness from the manufacturer. Hence, for any number of reasons generally the smaller dealers choose not to embrace the Burgman, hence they will sell them, but dedicated servicing may not be their bag. (we see that when an owner brings in a burgman they didn't buy from that dealership)

The winners and the losers--The winners will be the consumer and the riders of the scoots. The losers will be Suzuki's market share of the scooter market (leader is probably Vespa) and the dealers (big or small) that fail to have the foresight to see the scooter trend in the USA. While the manufacturers may be scratching their heads to figure out what the 20-somethings will want to ride in the future (when their paychecks catch up to their want lists), the existing cruiser pool will be diminishing looking for alternative rides in order to cash in their cruisers for a more economical and easier to handle rides---enter the maxi-scooters whether wearing the Honda,Suzuki,or Yamaha badge (will Kawasaki ever jump into this battle?) and the consumer will yet win. So what do you say Suzuki ? Want to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts