Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am in traffic I don't always look at other drivers, and we all know the reason--they can be looking at you and not see you.
For years I have gotten my "clues" from the wheels-which way they are turned - are they moving- For me it has proven to be a good system .
So what idiot though up spinning hub caps, OK-I like them my self but it near gives me a heart attract sometimes to see the wheel spinning at a light or stop sign as I glance going by :(

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Well - trying to garner that silk purse.....

At least it caught your eye!

I've done the same thing in the past, and still do. I've watched the rims/hubcaps - forget the 66 year old retiree or 20 year old cell phone holder behind the tiller.

urg - it's just more things that everyone should know about - "spinners on dubs" - which - btw - according to my 22yo bling meister friend - are falling outta style (thank god.)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
As a pedestrian when walking near the university I teach at, it's far best to watch a driver's eyes to make sure he/she has seen you before venturing to cross a street. You combine that with experienced observation of speed and acceleration/decceration. If I don't think a driver has seen me I'll wave or make other large movements to get their attention, since pedestrians do have the right of way.

On my scooter I'm in line with the cars and have no more "right" to be there than them. Since motorcycles are rare around my parts, I know car drivers don't expect to see them. I drive completely defensively and try to remain acutely aware of all that's happening around me. I notice if a driver is a senior. I notice if a driver is a mom with a vanload of kids. I notice if a driver is on the phone or wearing headphones. I notice if the car has got a gang of teenagers in it with paintball guns. I notice if the driver is arguing with someone else in the car. I notice ANY unusual activity in a car. ALL of those things mean the car may do something unpredictable. I get out of the way. Sometimes it means passing them quickly. Sometimes it means backing off to create some space between us. It means keeping my hand on the throttle/brakes and ready to react instantly to the circumstances around. Spinner wheels are just another fake distaction. Ignore them.

4DThinker stands for 4th-Dimension Thinker. The 4th dimension is time. You have to know not only where you are NOW, but also consider where you will be in the near future. Try to never end up in the same exact place at the same exact time as any other vehicle and you'll avoid any accident with them.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
4DThinker said:
I get out of the way
Dave B.
4DT, I like your style, I think you could contribute a great deal to a handbook on riding safely and enjoying the ride. Sometimes I catch myself uttering "JERK!" in response to a driver trying to occupy my space on the roadway when my first thought should be defensive, getting out of the way and letting it go. Neal

·
Registered
497 Posts
In my state, you will notice a symbol of the sun on the flag, most all cars have darkly tinted windows. So, I really can't get a good look at where the drivers looking. My solution: I keep my thumb on the horn at all times. If I see a car stopped at a side street waiting to enter traffic, I honk and wave. If somebody gets close on my side, I honk and wave. If a pedestrian steps off a curb, I honk and wave. Thursday while speeding down a country road a large pack of feral dogs began to cross the road directly in my path, I leaned on that horn like it was my designated driver.
The Horn is made for beeping. **** the rude noise and angry stares. Beep Beep Beeeeeeeeeep.....
....hello to you too...beeep!!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
beep beep

ABQ said:
The Horn is made for beeping. **** the rude noise and angry stares. Beep Beep Beeeeeeeeeep.....
....hello to you too...beeep!!!
I have to agree with the horn bit. Also in a parking lot like Wal-Mart when your going down the isle inbetween the parked cars and you see a car with the backup lights on, don't be bashfull "honk" that's what it's for and could save your bacon. :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will I have to disagree with the horn (at least relying on it).
Does anyone here really believe some cage driver with dark windows, a/c on windows closed ,stereo blasting ( hopefully not on the phone ) is going to here anything less then a fog horn!
I am not betting my life on using the horn and getting the reaction I want,
if I have time to to "toot" I have time to react .
I may use it once in a while ,yes, but never to rely on it.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Like you said Randy - even if you think that you've "caught their eye" they may be looking right through you. I NEVER trust eye contact. Even with the occasional spinner-equipped cage threatening your path, I still think it's best to watch the vehicle for "creep" .... AND be ready to evade.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy said:
Will I have to disagree with the horn (at least relying on it).
Does anyone here really believe some cage driver with dark windows, a/c on windows closed ,stereo blasting ( hopefully not on the phone ) is going to here anything less then a fog horn!
I am not betting my life on using the horn and getting the reaction I want,
if I have time to to "toot" I have time to react .
I may use it once in a while ,yes, but never to rely on it.
A few days ago an Omaha motorcyle cop ended up in the hospital. He had his lights and siren on. He was passing a car, and the car made a left turn right into him. The teenage girl driver said that she did not hear the siren or notice him because she had the stereo playing loudly in the car...

That's a Harley with a siren and flashing lights folks... Not a super quiet scooter with a polite "beep beep" horn".

·
Registered
857 Posts
Randy said:
So what idiot thought up spinning hub caps, OK-I like them my self but it near gives me a heart attract sometimes to see the wheel spinning at a light or stop sign as I glance going by :(
I totally agree - how idiotic. Those spinning hub caps are incredibly distracting at times, and I'm waiting for the first (?) lawsuit related to a child curiously sticking their fingers in there when they are spinning. Sure seems like they could lose a finger...of course we know where the finger ends up...in some fastfood chain burger/taco/etc.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
flintbobbi said:
...of course we know where the finger ends up...in some fastfood chain burger/taco/etc.
Only if they deliberately put it there in hopes of winning a lawsuit against said fast food chain. :roll:

·
Registered
329 Posts
All this is good survival stuff. Since we cannot usually know the intent of every other driver in every proximous vehicle, I always deal with their assumed capabilities.
Each that has the capability to interfere with me should be treated as if they will exercise that capability. That way, if they do, there will be no surprise involved on my part.
It is only the unseen and unknown that is surprising.

·
Registered
553 Posts
rely on the horn

I don't think anyone meant to "rely" on the horn, but if you "toot" you are reacting to possible danger (at least I am, like someone with thier backup lights on who may not see you and is about to back out in front of you) so that you don't have to react to a for sure danger. I have had time to push the button but would not have had time to get out of thier way or stop had they backed on out. :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
docta wrote

All this is good survival stuff. Since we cannot usually know the intent of every other driver in every proximous vehicle, I always deal with their assumed capabilities.
Each that has the capability to interfere with me should be treated as if they will exercise that capability. That way, if they do, there will be no surprise involved on my part.
It is only the unseen and unknown that is surprising.
Now that's what I call defensive driving. :!:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts