Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new moderator I was told we need to lead by example. Just want to be truthful on one of my most dumb moves not to do.
Couple of years back I was heading over to a friends house got on my 400 in the garage & started it up. Just started out of the garage when he pulled up at the house. I shut the Burgman down & got off. One slight thing I forgot was to put the kickstand down. :oops:

So any others out there that would like to share what not to do. :shock:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Being a new moderator I was told we need to lead by example. Just want to be truthful on one of my most dumb moves not to do.
Couple of years back I was heading over to a friends house got on my 400 in the garage & started it up. Just started out of the garage when he pulled up at the house. I shut the Burgman down & got off. One slight thing I forgot was to put the kickstand down. :oops:

So any others out there that would like to share what not to do. :shock:
I did the same stupid thing on my BMW motorcycle in a busy grocery store parking lot. Since then, I have used my side stand as a kill switch.

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
I did the same stupid thing on my BMW motorcycle in a busy grocery store parking lot. Since then, I have used my side stand as a kill switch.
Yep,me too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I swung my leg (good and high to not scuff the paint) over a new bike in the showroom, swung a little too high and lost my balance, bike went down. That was in 1987 and my face is still red with embarrassment!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haven't done that , but I'm always walking away from mine after putting down the kick stand and forgetting to turn the key off. Of course this is at the house. but yes have done this at a DQ or just about any other location . So now trying to get in the habit of turning key off instead of using kick stand to kill the engine.
Did see a big dude on a Harley pull up to a stop light , stopped never put his foot down to balance the bike till it was to late laid bike down in the middle of the rode. Just stood there with a dumb look on his face !!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kickstand down AND parking brake on.

Rolled mine out of the garage into the driveway and put the kickstand down. The driveway slopes slightly downward. As I got off, I was still leaning a little forward on the handle bars. About the time I was about to let go with my left hand, the thing started rolling forward due to the slope. Couldn't hold on tight enough, so down it went on its side.

Fortunately, there was only minor scuffs on the bottom tupperware and CVT cover.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Wasn't on a Burgman, but still applicable:

Always make sure you can see your keys in the ignition (or are holding them in your hand) before you close the seat.

I made that mistake once.

Get off the bike on a hot day, pop the seat latch, open the seat, keys go in jacket pocket, gloves go under seat, helmet goes under seat, jacket goes under seat, close the seat, make sure I haven't left the key in the lock... oops.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Same here, except I did it almost immediately after I installed my Givi Airflow. My bike fell into the wife's Vespa, denting it, and cracked my new windshield. Kiwi Dave got two orders from me that week.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Years ago,I had a bike that didn't have a kickstand kill switch. Took off and rode almost a mile until I came to a left hand turn. Kickstand drug the ground and thought I was going to wreck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
For years I wanted a Goldwing , finally got one and was just learning to ride it well. Then in my driveway I forgot to put the side stand down, and you know the rest .
Man did I feel stupid, but since i had taken a one day class on how to pick up big bikes I was ok with it.

Doh !:confused:
Had taken the class several years ago, a lot younger and stronger. I could not get the GW up by myself. Had to get a non riding neighbor to help.

Decided shortly afterward to sell the GW :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
Couple of weeks ago I was going to change out the fork oil by just using my liquid vac. Bike on side-stand. I took off the left fork cap no problem, then when the right one was unscrewed, bingo the bike slammed down and fell over on me. Duh, I forgot to jack up the front end. Lucky I was able to jump back before it toppled over on the right side. Slight scrape on the lower faring where there was already a scrape.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Years ago,I had a bike that didn't have a kickstand kill switch. Took off and rode almost a mile until I came to a left hand turn. Kickstand drug the ground and thought I was going to wreck!
Done that also.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lesson learned from mine is I always use the kick stand to shut it down. Now should I tell you about not setting the hand brake after backing up into a parking space. I think you can guess the outcome. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
switched it off turned the forks, dropped the sidestand , and leaned it THE WRONG WAY down a hill, the post lady dragged me out from under it and we got it upright together

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I asked my gf once to hold a 250 (one of the starter AN series) straight just for a couple of seconds while i was reaching for a dropped key, as i reckoned the effort for the task would be minimal ... You know the rest of this story.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've done many stupid things in life, but none of these posted here! There's still plenty of time though!!!...
Give it time. Took me 40 years to forget to deploy my sidestand.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts