Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am leaving on April 20th heading back to Saco Maine for two weeks. While I am doing a burn type run I can stop for a little to meet up members. All miles will be Interstate 80 and I-90 till NY.

Current plans is to leave Salem Oregon early and drive to Ogden UT for the night.

Day 2 is to try to make it to Omaha NB for the night. Its a longer push but speed limits are higher across Utah-Wyoming-Nebraska.

Day 3 was a quick stop for a lunch meet with RJS987 in West Des Moines IA and then stop in Elkhart IN but this may change as a member might need some help in North Ohio.

Day 4 will be leaving Elkhart IN or North Ohio and driving to Niskayuna NY to have dinner with Bill and Dot (Wspollack) and spend the night at their house.

Day 5 will be a short 225 mile drive to Saco Maine

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Keep an eye on the weather. Some severe storms can pop up this time of the year!

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These road trips for my sister are not so much fun. This will be the 5th in 10 years, 3rd in 1 year.

Days upon days in a car with her dog. Nights with her dog barking at everything in the motels hallway.

When I get to Maine I always have to do some sort of work on my nieces house.

And I have to go up to Ellsworth and Caribou Maine to do repairs to 2 cemetery Headstones of my Great Great Grandfathers family. My ancestral family on my Grandmothers side arrived in Maine in the 1600's from England. Mayflower Compact registry.

Reactions: Bluelobo

·
Registered
58 Posts
Last summer I was in small-town Maine. Took a walk through one of the old cemeteries and marveled at the dates. Bless you for doing this work. It's great to see those headstones maintained.

I tried to imagine the hardiness of those who lived in Maine during that time.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
sorry to hear, but youre doing a good deed helping others and the meetup with RJS987 and Wspollack sounds like a good part of it!

"Great Great Grandfathers family. My ancestral family on my Grandmothers side arrived in Maine in the 1600's from England. Mayflower Compact registry."

thats awesome ! mayflower no less.

·
Premium Member
18,412 Posts
On my father's side there was some mention of a jail in Texas, not real explicit, an my mother had record in England to a Celt an a cave bear, we had good information on the cave bear, but them Celts caint be trusted,

Good on ya Dave, the right thing is sometimes hard AND unrewarding,, but,,, it's the right thing

·
Super Moderator
15,675 Posts
Maybe hit up the vet for some sedatives for the Yap Beast?
Hope your trip's productive since it doesn't sound restful Dave.
Keep the rubber on the road, even if you're on four wheels most of the trip.

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,601 Posts
I spent from Thanksgiving 1978 through Dec 1981 in the Lewiston/Brunswick Maine area while at the Navy base in Brunswick. Lived just north of Lisbon Falls. Enjoyed the area. Been to Ellsworth and Bar Harbor and the Moosehead Lake area, but not up as far as Caribou. Got to know a few Lobster fishermen from whom I would buy my Lobsters as they came off the boats. I miss $1.55/lb for a couple of 3 lb Lobsters. My first son was born in Maine just a few weeks before we returned to Iowa. It's kind of funny, but he has always had a Maine accent! We think he was listening all along those 9 months before he was born. We would come home to Iowa during holidays going up through Montreal and down through Detroit and across to get to Iowa. Was nice that a military ID was good enough in place of a passport back then, even though we didn't even need that for crossing the border. Was a long enough trip just that far.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2008 AN400
21 Posts
I am leaving on April 20th heading back to Saco Maine for two weeks. While I am doing a burn type run I can stop for a little to meet up members. All miles will be Interstate 80 and I-90 till NY.

Current plans is to leave Salem Oregon early and drive to Ogden UT for the night.

Day 2 is to try to make it to Omaha NB for the night. Its a longer push but speed limits are higher across Utah-Wyoming-Nebraska.

Day 3 was a quick stop for a lunch meet with RJS987 in West Des Moines IA and then stop in Elkhart IN but this may change as a member might need some help in North Ohio. Born

Day 4 will be leaving Elkhart IN or North Ohio and driving to Niskayuna NY to have dinner with Bill and Dot (Wspollack) and spend the night at their house.

Day 5 will be a short 225 mile drive to Saco Maine
I was born and raised in Maine. North Nobleboro to be precise. I left in 1963 to join up with the USMC at age 17. I have visited many times since but my wife’s health issues have kept me away since 2019. Looking forward to returning “some day”.

Enjoy your trip!!!

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Up here in Washington State an OLD house was built in 1880. In Maine a lot of houses were built in the 1600's and 1700's and still housing people today. My nieces house was built in 1778, made into a two story apartment in 1950 and was retrofitted to oil boiler heat.

Reactions: Tromper

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Around 7 AM PDT I am hitting the road. If all goes well, three days and a lunch with RJS987.

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am in Lincoln Nebraska for the night. Made it to Tremonton Utah last night, 1.5 hours short of my pick so today I made up the time. LONG day of fierce winds. Did 925 miles in 11.5 hours including food and gas stops.

Tomorrow should be only 620 miles.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Dave and I met up at a local restaurant this afternoon. We had a nice chat and then he was off again on his cross country journey. Was nice to meet him in person.
And just to prove it really happened...

Glasses Jeans Smile Hairstyle Sky

We have been having thunderstorms and rain for a few days now. Yesterday was a really nice sunny day. But no riding all week due to the weather or watching my youngest grand daughter so while we were only having Seattle type weather I did ride to the meet up. Only a 4.6 mile ride for me but a LOT farther for Dave! 😁

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After I left Des Moines headding east there were 5 accidents, on closed I-80 down for 2 hours right at the Indiana Toll booths. I got to my room in Elkhart IN at 11 PM. Not such a short 600 mile day. Going to sleep.

Going to try to hit the road by 8 AM, its 700 miles or 10 hours to Wspollack's house tomorrow. I hope I can make it. I'll give Bill a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
So Dave, do people drive crazy on the interstate like 20 mph over the speed limit like around here? And RSJ, me coming from Las Vegas, what is rain? :oops:

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last night in Indiana toll road the speed limit was 55 MPH and everyone was doing 80+ MPH, even some 18 wheelers were doing at least 80 MPH in the 55 zone. When it jumped up to 70 MPH I was doing 82 and getting passed by cars and pickups doing at least 90 MPH. It was dark but dry.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
One of the big reasons I normally stay off the Interstate highways while riding.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.