Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an injury that prevents her from riding her Burgman so I being a supportive husband decided to ride it every so often just to keep the fluids moving. Now I'm finding that I ride her scoot more often than my motorbike and I think its getting jealous. To be honest I have always loved scooters and own a 125cc Genuine Buddy. My wife's Burgman has better lights, rides smoother, has anti-lock brakes, better wind protection, better suspension and lots of storage and I don't have to shift. What's not to like. I still believe if more hard core motorcyclists test rode a Burgman they would be hooked!:)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think most of us would agree. My son had the same 125 Buddy but he ditched it the first time he rode a Burgman.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
. I still believe if more hard core motorcyclists test rode a Burgman they would be hooked!
You got that right.

This was the review that got me hooked...
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

Especially that the 650 Burgman hung in with the VFR-800 in a full on twisties run....I consider the VFR800 a classic sport tourer.

Is there a 650 Exec in your future? :D

I'm riding both the Exec and a Vstrom 650 and for most local rides I grab the Burgman.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I still believe if more hard core motorcyclists test rode a Burgman they would be hooked!:)
I'd like to believe that, but alas even MacDocs positive article had the line, "There is no way to look macho or tough on the Silverwing or Burgman. Your name can be “Bruiser”, you can be 300lbs of pure tattoos and muscle, and you may as well be wearing a tutu. There will be no respect, from anyone… curiosity maybe but not respect.". And with motorcycling in the USA, riders want image and respect; neither of which the Burgman provide.

Honestly, I think a lot of riders would secretly love to ride a big 'ol scooter, but pride prevents them from doing so. Too bad. They're such fantastic bikes.

It'll have to stay our little secret. And it sounds like your wife's looking for a new scooter when she feels better. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Maybe it's one of those US/Canada cultural differences, but all the riders who have been genuinely curious about the Burg at a stoplight have been on BMWs and Harleys. These are supposed to be the brands people buy to project an image. Heck, the amount of sportbikes that wave to me while dodging traffic in oncoming lanes is surprising too (please stop and keep those hands on the bars!). A lot of the more serious, experienced riders on local forums have a 400 or 650 tucked away in the garage. I think the only people worried about respect are the moto-"journalists" and the dealerships. Keep pushing expensive toys that sell on emotion and their jobs are secure. If they were less of a secret, then Suzuki might sell more and upgrade the tech more frequently.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I bought my '03 400 in May of 2011, 'cause I saw in on Craigslist and it seemed like a great deai --12.3k miles $1800.

I rode it for a couple months and then sold my 1988 Vulcan 1500¹, with almost 180,000 miles on it that I had had since new, because I knew at my age I would never miss it--I don't...

--------------------------------------------
¹ - I bought the Vulcan new in January of '89 after I sold my pristne and beloved '68 Vanilla Cream FLH--as part of a bunch of stuff I sold to buy MY house back from my ex-wife. My riding buddies called it a "rice-burner", I told them "Yeah, but it burns a shìt-load of rice".

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I'd like to believe that, but alas even MacDocs positive article had the line, "There is no way to look macho or tough on the Silverwing or Burgman. Your name can be “Bruiser”, you can be 300lbs of pure tattoos and muscle, and you may as well be wearing a tutu. There will be no respect, from anyone… curiosity maybe but not respect.". And with motorcycling in the USA, riders want image and respect; neither of which the Burgman provide.
I left a serious BMW in the dust on some twists today and he gave me a thumbs up at the stop sign at the end. He had too much weight up high to flick it.
I could see the surprise on his face....I didn't even push it ( tires are shot ).

Respect comes when you ride with other bikes as it did with the riders on the test of the SWing and the 650 ( I've owned both )
One crusty old Harley rider grumbled after a spirited outing in Pennsylvania left him far behind ( the others were sport bikes )
...."Dat tings fast"...

I dont think you have to look macho or tough, you just have to show them your tail lights. All the time...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I started on a minibike, moved to dirt bikes, then to street bikes, eventually cruisers and a Goldwing. But, Now it is my Burgman that makes me smile the most with an occasional ride on my vintage Hondamatic when I have the need for bugs splattering me. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have owned 14 bikes over the years, and of my current stable my burgman is by far riden more than the others. I don't need the respect anymore from other bikers, don't need to explain my Burgman. I just answer their questions, tell them I love it more than any bike I have owned. If they don't want to understand I don't hold it against them, I was there once myself.
I bought the Burgman on a whime, never crossed my mind about problem with respect from other bikers.
Most of my biker friends think it is pretty cool. Most have riden wit me on one of my other bikes, so I guess I don't get that "when you gonna get a real bike" attitude.
I ride a lot in the N. Ga mountains, which are very twisty. I generally ride close to sport bike speeds, and get a lot of positive comments from other riders about the way it handles.
I think a lot of the negative comments people receive are from people who have no clue on what a Burgman is capable of. They have never looked at what it really is. Most real experienced riders are aware of other types of bikes and realize there is a reason for every ride.
We have to accept the Burgman will never be the "cool bike" out there. But for what I need it is the perfect bike for most purposes. I even take mine on some of the forestry roads where I ride my KLR 650, just slower of course!!:kermit:

of my biker buddies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts