Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the biggest bother for motorcycle riding is getting stuck in a left-turn-only lane and the light refuses to turn green. I was told that motorcycles don't have enough steel (or weight?) to trigger the light. I almost always has to run circles to make left turns on my ninja 500 but has better luck [just a little] with Vulcan and Burgman.

Our exit gate is tricky. With other motorcycles (including my friend's FJR 1300), the gate bar would open but come down and hit rider on the head when exit. It has never been a problem with Burgman. I don't think it is a weight problem there but the distance between the wheels.

Are there any tried-and-true gadget that can help? Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4DThinker said:
When I was a graduate student at NCSU, the motorcycle lot I parked in had an exit gate. After it hit me in the helmet once, I simply started driving AROUND the gate. BTW, that whack would have knocked me out if it had been on my head. It cracked my helmet.
Wow, close the barn doors after the horses are out in a hurry, huh? Must be surrounded by wolfpacks. :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
lifegetter wrote (snipped)
Are there any tried-and-true gadget that can help? Thanks.
Just one I can think of, the telephone :!: Call and ask them to adjust the gate speed. if it's fast enough to hit a rider it becomes a liability issue for them.
As far as city lights go, you can try,and they mite send someone to check it.
As you can tell I am not much of a believer in the products they sell. :roll:
Riders I know either swear by them or at them. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gadgets for left turn lights

You may want to check out Signalsorcerer.com and Greenlighttrigger.com
I know people that use both and they say they work.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I found that if I could see where the wires were buried, and could align my engine over the top of them, they would trigger the light. If I couldn't tell where the wires were, however, no amount of messing around would get them to go.

Most states allow you to go ahead through, after a reasonable wait, and after the way is clear. I've done it many times, but have always felt a little guilty for it.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Some places like around here, they have switshed from just a square trigger sensor in the ground to a square with another line down the middle of the square to make 2 rectangles to pick up a motorcycle easier.

I just pull over the one rectangle and it activates the light.

:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
LEFT TURNS

I put a small earth magnet on my center stand
which would trip the light switch wire when I
would stop on top the wire in the road. Earth mags are 5 to 10
times more powerful then reg. mag. A larger reg. magnet will probably
also work. Check hardware or tool supply house in your area and
left hand problems should be gone.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: LEFT TURNS

L.SKULSKI said:
I put a small earth magnet on my center stand which would trip the light switch wire when I would stop on top the wire in the road. Earth mags are 5 to 10 times more powerful then reg. mag. A larger reg. magnet will probably also work. Check hardware or tool supply house in your area and left hand problems should be gone.
Great idea! I can place it on my oil filter to trap loose metal shaves. 8)

·
Registered
550 Posts
changing left turn lights

I have one of these Green Light Trigger http://www.greenlightstuff.com , it really works. No more sitting at lights forever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sure wish I could remember what bike mag I saw it in, but there is a magnetic gizmo you attach under the bike, so it interferes and trips that magnetic field you drive into to trip the light. We don't have enough metal to set it off, but this magnet gizmo does set it off. I think I saw it in the Shade Tree catalog. check it out. Scootr Grrrl

·
Registered
550 Posts
what do you think the previous link is????? read it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scootr Grrrl said:
Sure wish I could remember what bike mag I saw it in, but there is a magnetic gizmo you attach under the bike, so it interferes and trips that magnetic field you drive into to trip the light. We don't have enough metal to set it off, but this magnet gizmo does set it off. I think I saw it in the Shade Tree catalog. check it out. Scootr Grrrl
Thanks. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
BTW, they're not magnetic, they're electromagnetic/radio devices.

There have been a couple threads about them, and the general consensus seems to be that they do (usually) work.

There's one trouble spot near my office, and several of our group have Greenlight Triggers. They never have problems there.

HTH.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My Greenlight Trigger was the best $15 I ever spent on my Burgie.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had one traffic light where my Burger would routinely not trigger the light. I figured that I had 2 choices. I could convince PennDOT that they had a problem. (yeah, right!) Or I could try the Greenlight Trigger. It wasn't that expensive, so I tried it. And I haven't had trouble at that intersection since.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts