Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago when I owned my Burgman 400 I bought Pirelli Diablo tires because they were highly recommended by nearly everyone on this site.

Now I ride a Kymco Xciting 500 and I need a rear tire. I was going to by a Diablo but the cost is about $100 and it's more money then I want to spend right now.

I can by a Shinko for half that. The question is should I? :confused:

Most of my driving is highway commuting (55 - 70 MPH/80 - 120 kmh) in weather that will range for the mid 80's to the low 40's (25 - 7 C). :glasses11:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I put a pair of Shinkos on my 400. They were as smooth as glass but the rear tire wore quickly. The front seemed to wear well. I replaced the rear with a Michelin City Grip from Motorcycle Superstore. It was not a great deal higher than the Shinko. The bike was totaled before I got much experience with it but others had good performance from it. It was $46.99 in June.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Tires perform differently on different bikes. As an example the Diablo is a good performing tire on the Burgman 400 but most don't care for it on the Burgman 650 because it wears out very quickly.

To find how what works on the Xciting you would be better served to find a board with riders of that bike and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I agree with Buffalo. I also found the Shinko to wear out very fast on my 400. 650 folks that tried them haven't said that though. Check out the Kymco board & see what they are running.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
If it cost a lot to mount and balance the tires it is not worth it.
The Shinko tires usually wont last as long.
I mount my own and it saved me $$ for the 6000 easy miles I put on my rear Shinko.
My Price per Mile

Shinkos $40/6000miles=$0.006 per mile
Vs.
Bridgestone $100/8000miles=$0.0125 per mile

DOUBLE THE PRICE without mounting costs but add in mounting cost and things change quickly......:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Not sure how mounting mounting cost chane things that much. Cost the same to mount any brand. My shinkos last with in 500 miles of the others

·
Registered
119 Posts
If it cost a lot to mount and balance the tires it is not worth it.
The Shinko tires usually wont last as long.
I mount my own and it saved me $$ for the 6000 easy miles I put on my rear Shinko.
My Price per Mile

Shinkos $40/6000miles=$0.006 per mile
Vs.
Bridgestone $100/8000miles=$0.0125 per mile

DOUBLE THE PRICE without mounting costs but add in mounting cost and things change quickly......:rolleyes:
I agree. I change my own tires to save money plus I can check things out while I'm doing that. Also, I can mount ANY tire that will fit and that I buy ANYWHERE. Some folks won't mount unless you but what you SHOULD mount or you buy from them. Also, my Shinko rear tire is pushing 9,000 miles now. Needs replaced soon. I think they are a good value. Trying Metzlers next time but expect to return to Shinko.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I found on my 400 that the Diablo gave me the cheapest cost per mile. Didn't cost the cheapest that was the Shinko, didn't last the longest that was the Metzlers.
Now we are talking rear tire........ correct.;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I got over 10k out of my Dunlop "Scooterline" tires on the b400. Unfortunately they don't make a b650 tire.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure how mounting mounting cost chane things that much. Cost the same to mount any brand. My shinkos last with in 500 miles of the others
Mounting costs have everything to do with it. The cost of the tire, when calculating value must include mounting cost. Taking it to the far end of reality, let's say mounting cost $200 and a tire that gets 5000 miles is $50 while a tire that gets 10,000 miles is $200. The $200 tire would be $400 for 10,000 miles where as the $50 tire would be $450 per 10,000 miles. The $200 tire would be the better bargain. (Assuming similar performance characteristics).

On the other hand if you mount your own tires or mounting is only $20, then the $50 tire is a better bargain.

In the real world, tire prices are closer than my example, and the milage you can attain are usually closer between brands, but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Lets agree that for most tires there is not a 5000 mile difference in tire life Ive never seen mor than a 500 mile difference.. (Dark side excluded) and prices of tires and mounting varry.
Starting when replacing the OMEs, , going the next
10000 miles and planning to keep the bike, . you would need
3 at $50 $150 and 3 mounts at 200 $600 total $750
2 at 200 $400 and 2 mounts at 200 $400 total $800.
Mounting cost may be greater but the overall cost is less.

Savings ??

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
What kind of psi are we doing on these tires?
I ran 36-38 in the rear of my 400 no matter what brand I was using.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Lets agree that for most tires there is not a 5000 mile difference in tire life I've never seen more than a 500 mile difference..
Didn't hold true for me with the rear on my 07 400. Rode it for 46k+ before selling it. Shinko lasted 5k, OEM Bridgestone 10k, Diablos 12k, Metzler 14k.
For ME including mounting the Diablos gave me the cheapest cost per mile. ;)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Desert Rat, Not having a 400, It would be my guess that there is a difference in both tire composition and wear between a 400 and 650,

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lets agree that for most tires there is not a 5000 mile difference in tire life Ive never seen mor than a 500 mile difference.. (Dark side excluded) and prices of tires and mounting varry.
Starting when replacing the OMEs, , going the next
10000 miles and planning to keep the bike, . you would need
3 at $50 $150 and 3 mounts at 200 $600 total $750
2 at 200 $400 and 2 mounts at 200 $400 total $800.
Mounting cost may be greater but the overall cost is less.

Savings ??
I agree there isn't going to be that much difference and stated the numbers were exaggerated.

I was using those numbers as an example why mounting costs were important :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts