Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first of all, I don't have a scooter yet. I'm doing the research for a planned purchase next year after a move and some other things settle down in my life.

But after looking at the available large scooters out there, I can't help wonder what the heck Honda is thinking with the Helix. Nostalgia aside (and I use that term loosely in a Star Wars sort of way) , it's an old design. Lots has been learned since then. And you can get other "nostalgic" scooters that have modern technology under the skin.

I can't image spending $5,099 MSRP on one, especially when a B400 is only about $600 more.

If Suzuki ever introduces the 250 Burger in the US, I can't help but think Honda will get their clock cleaned here.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Coserman, if one only needed/wanted a scoot for strictly around town, there ain't none better, IMHO. Large trunk, super soft ride. Sturdy engine and drive unit that will prob last forever. But with the newer Asian scoots, Kymco, Diamo and such, with good looks and cheaper prices...its gonna make the Helix a hard sell.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The Helix is a great buy....well, it is a great buy USED!!!

Honda is way overpriced on the new ones, the Helix AND the Reflex both.

The guy that bought my Helix is using it around town and will be getting an 05 650 for long trips.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
bechtoea said:
The Helix is a great buy....well, it is a great buy USED!!!

Honda is way overpriced on the new ones, the Helix AND the Reflex both.
I think you are right. And at the rate that prior Helix owners have been buying the new Super Scooters, there should be a plentiful supply. Many will not keep the old Helix just for around town - the Super Scooters work just fine around town too. But if you are looking for a relatively low investment machine to learn on, or for your spouse to learn on - or something you won't worry so much about leaving on the street or in a parking lot, a used Helix could be an option. Parts supply and accessories should also plentiful for them.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Coserman, the Helix makes sense to some riders. I know a number of Helix owners, two have 2004s. The Helix is a very comfortable, easy to ride, will run 60 mph all day, accelerates well enough to enter non rush hour/interstate traffic, extremely reliable, etc, etc. To me they look dated, but they are a good scooters.

Coincidently today, I switched bikes with my riding buddy (B400) so he could ride my Helix (bechtoea's old Helix) to see what it was like. I was suprised at the difference in the riding position of the 400 and the Helix. The Helix is a very "laid back" "relaxed" riding position. You sit in, not on it.

Why did Honda reintroduce them, my guess, they can produce them at a good profit. Honda has no development costs to recoup, no tooling up costs, no advertising costs, etc. People do buy them.

·
Registered
806 Posts
My father, who has a 1993 Helix w/ 25K miles on it, lives basically in the middle of a corn field. The small towns and rural area simply don't require any more speed or performance than the Helix is capable of.

But I live around Dayton OH. Riding to work and back, a couple of the roads require speeds in the 65-75MPH range. Also, the handling needs to be predictable at those speeds. I had to make an effort to miss those roads when I had the Helix. So I sold my Helix to Roy and bought the B400.

What I will tell you is that while I wouldn't buy a new Helix, if I still lived where my father lives, I wouldn't have bought a new Burgman 400. A used Helix for under $3000 would have done me just fine. My 99 treated me very well and yes, they are still very capable machines.

Also, my father's 1993 Helix had given no trouble. Heck, it even has the original battery!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 92 Helix

Hi everyone,

The reason I'd like to move up to the Burg 650... I'd like some bigger tires under me! My Helix and I average 67 MPH on the country hyw's.

I have had to work on my 92 - but it's like taking care of an old friend. YES, I think it looks out of date. Then again, I'm surprised at how many folks ask questions like it's a "new and exciting" scoot.

I may be working, part time, at a Vespa shop in Rehoboth. I would never ride a Vespa long distance (I did it years ago - too short and stubby), but it's fun to talk the talk and walk the walk...

Now are the "high times" - scooters are "IN"! We must enjoy and have our fun!

Peace, Rob

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Problem with buying an old used machine is that the repairs will eat you alive unless you can do the work yourself. I had new fork seals installed on my 1995 Virago two years ago at a cost of almost $200. I had to do it again last May & now one has failed again. They say I need to replace much more of the parts than just the seals & the cost with sales tax will be almost $750. When I look at the stack of repair bills I have paid in the last two years I realize the bike is no longer worth repairing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yeah, I ran into the same thing on my old motorcycles. That being said, the Helix is almost bulletproof. They don't require much maintainance and I can only think of a few things that actually do go out on them (exhaust gasket by engine, boot from airbox to carb and carb to engine).

Outside of that, they run literally forever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought my Burgman 400 last year because the 400cc Helix never came out. I still have my 1986 Helix and use it quite frequently, usually to take out the garbage and take my stuff to the recycle center. I used to take out two 55 gallon bags of leaves on it until a friendly policeman said I was hard to see on the scooter. Anyway I also like to keep it avaiable for company and to try and get others involved in riding. But the Burgman 400 is now my main transportation. I have winterized it with a Givi shield and hand guards. I love the spacious room for cargo. Makes the Helix seem somewhat inadequate.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hmmm... A Helix pickup truck. :shock:

That is the first time I've heard of someone using a scooter to haul garbage and yardwaste. But, when I look at pictures of that new 250cc Honda "Big Ruckus" scooter, I can see it doing stuff like that....

·
Registered
182 Posts
sandberg said:
I bought my Burgman 400 last year because the 400cc Helix never came out. I still have my 1986 Helix and use it quite frequently, usually to take out the garbage and take my stuff to the recycle center. I used to take out two 55 gallon bags of leaves on it until a friendly policeman said I was hard to see on the scooter. Anyway I also like to keep it avaiable for company and to try and get others involved in riding. But the Burgman 400 is now my main transportation. I have winterized it with a Givi shield and hand guards. I love the spacious room for cargo. Makes the Helix seem somewhat inadequate.
I've owned 3-Helix's over the years. Even had a sidecar attached to one. Even though my wife and I now own 650 Burgman's LONG LIVE
the Helix!

Helix :lol:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Up here in Canada, as near as I can tell, the Helix was only imported in 1986 and maybe 1987. I bought a used 1986 in 1997 for $1800 and drove it everywhere for 5 years. Sold it for $3200. They are hard to come by up here. Really loved that machine. Started everytime, loads of storage, comfortable etc. etc. But my blue 650 Burg is all that and more. Plus I can now keep up with any traffic on any highway.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Kymco has three 250s priced from $4000 to about $4500 & the dealer here only adds $90 for set-up unlike the humungous amounts the other dealers add. They also have a two year warrenty & the shop repair rate is fifty dollars/hr instead of the seventy the others charge. Only problem is the ones that look good only have 12" wheels & the dorky looking one has the much larger ones. Just how bad are 12" wheels, could I learn to live with them?
I have been waiting for their new 500cc machine but in the meantime I have been giving thought to the 250s. I have come to realize that most of my riding is local & that a 250 may just do most of what I need. I could keep my 750 Virago for the long rides as the insurance is only $75/yr & the license plate is not too much. I did manage to get the front fork off & am having it repaired. Now that I know how easy it is to remove the front wheel I will never pay them to do it again.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Gruntled; nothing wrong with 12 in wheels. I've had two Helix's, one Reflex....all 250's with the smaller wheels. They will run up to 70 mph and are great machines. You might want to look for a used Reflex and save some money, or go for the Kymco. They appear to be good machines. That will give you a good feel for scoots and you may well be satisified with the 250. If not, later on, go for a larger one.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Went to a local Cigar shop today. Asked the guy to show me some good under-five-dollar cigars. One that he came up with is a "Helix". Pretty black, metallic blue, and gold band - with HELIX stamped across the front of the band in white. Good size cigar - Connecticut Shade wrapper. Smoking it right now. Not bad. In this case, buying a Helix made sense. :wink:

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Paul,

Don't you know <puff, puff, puff> that smoking <puff> is bad <puff, puff> for your <puff, puff, puff> health? <blows smoke ring> :roll:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just saw an article that said the farmer was getting $2.10/lb for his best Burley tobacco. That's not a heck of a lot more than my grandpa was getting fifty years ago when you could buy a good cigar for twenty-five cents. So why does it cost $5 to get something fit to smoke?
Gave up cigarettes when I got out of the army & then had to pay twenty cents a pack for them. Never actually gave up cigars but somewhere along the line they became too expensive & it's been a long time since I've had one.
If someone gave me a decent one I would smoke it but I doubt that I will buy many more. (Exception any day now- Second daughter overdue with her first child. Have to celebrate.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
if the helix would update the engine to at least 400 and keep the body the same i would dump the 650 burgy and go with the helix. i have an 87 the i got in 92 and drove it everyday in MI. the weather allowed. temp over 45 deg. i had 2 blow-outs on it but otherwise that machine was bullet proof. i still have it only replacing it last summer. i now drive ex-way to work and with lake MI. blowing a steady 15 mph wind in my face and the helix not liking 70 mph i retired it for highway driving. the 650 is a dandy bike but i like the way the helix fits me better. that bike never left me but for the blow-outs anywhere. it is very simple to repair and i have installed a milk crate on the back to use as a trunk. this bike i used for just about all my shopping even trips to the lumber yards. easy handling and parking at the stores door is a trip. anyway maybe Honda will update the engine unless someone knows of a supercharger for it. mileage for the helix around town was well over 70 mpg and 2.5 gallons would take me 2-3 weeks to use up. bob p.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts