Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have a 2018 650 with only 300 miles on it.
When I accelerate up a hill there is a "flapping, rubber-band" type sound coming from, ( I assume), the CVT belt. Is that normal?.
It doesn't feel like it's slipping and it rides fine.
I have not had it above 4,000 RPM as recommended.
I did ride the first 150 miles with really low tire pressure, (18 psi-front and 28 psi-rear). Dealer's fault.
I hope that didn't stress the belt.

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
I think you may be lugging the engine.

The newer 650's have a higher "gearing" than the older ones for better mileage,

What RPM are you at when it happens?

If at 2,500 - 3,000 try selecting manual or power mode to get the RPM's up.

PS an occasional RPM boost over 4,000 rpm won't hurt it. Just try to avoid heavy throttle for steady runs. Varying the RPM is what you want for break-in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe the dealer didn't show you how to wind up the rubberband so it will last all day. When they're new, it unwinds quicker. (🙂sorry)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Dogwater650,

I’d take it for another ride towards the dealer using the Power Button and Manual Shift Feature and then try to replicate the sound ....if you are are still hearing that sound continue to the dealership.

I don’t think the low tire pressure would have caused any major problems other than reduced MPG and a little extra tire tread.

Please keep us posted.

Reactions: dogwater650

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2015 has more rear gear whine than I remember on my prior 2010.
Anyone else notice the whine? Not from a passenger either. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2015 has always rattled when under 3.5k going slow I believe they all do most of the noise is from the panels or from objects stored in the 3 compartments. As said before its geared high so caused some vibration at low rpm, once about 3.5k all noises go away hope yous is the same and not serious.
Noise at the rear wheel could be the wheel bearings mine were gone at 12000miles as no seal on the inside so water gets in and grease dries out.
20k on clock now most rattles eliminated by putting bike on centre stand start engine walk around bike and hold panels until you find the ones that vibrate, mine was the screen which I took off and replaced,(not gone but improved) also loose fixing on pane between headlights(wedged earplug in there now sorted.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies.
The sound is definately coming from the engine, (not the rear wheel or tupperware).
"Rubber band" may not be the best description. More like "flapping belt" or even an "egg-beater type rhythm" in the engine.
Maybe it's just the normal put-put sound all scooters make. (This is my first cycle of any type).
It is more pronounced with brisk acceleration or going up a hill.
This is not something bothersome. I'm loving my Burgman and it gets easier and more enjoyable every time I ride.

I don’t think the low tire pressure would have caused any major problems other than reduced MPG and a little extra tire tread.
That's nice to know.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Thank you all for your replies.
The sound is definately coming from the engine, (not the rear wheel or tupperware).
"Rubber band" may not be the best description. More like "flapping belt" or even an "egg-beater type rhythm" in the engine.
Maybe it's just the normal put-put sound all scooters make. (This is my first cycle of any type).
It is more pronounced with brisk acceleration or going up a hill.
This is not something bothersome. I'm loving my Burgman and it gets easier and more enjoyable every time I ride.

That's nice to know.
I’m just at 10k mile on my 2006 and I don’t have a pronounced sound at all except maybe a “Turbo Type Whine”. I just startled a person walking aimlessly on the sidewalk at an Intersection ...she said “your bike is so quiet”.

I’d ride it to the dealer to schedule your upcoming 600 mile service and inquire about the sound. There’s a chance they don’t even know what a Burgman is supposed to sound like but maybe they will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts