Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about getting a lift for my 400 to make it easier to work on. I saw a table lift from Harbor Freight that lifts from the wheels, but then I saw this one that lifts from underneath the bike.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326249_200326249?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Automotive-_-Automotive Lifts-_-148721&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=148721&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=148721&gclid=Cj0KEQiAr9ymBRDdqYrH6Mj5170BEiQAcRUsi7SPHdPJ30DYboQJK25Qxy-wMotBPQqXhfE6iwO4ZOMaAvqX8P8HAQ

It's smaller for easier storage, it leaves the wheels free for cleaning and it's less expensive. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I dont have one of these, however I'm trying to think what am not able to do with the bike on the center stand, this thing would certainly make it way easier though.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey BRC, one of our buddies from LASG just bought a similar lift. I'm headed over this week after work for a deglaze. Your welcome to come with and check it out. It's right off Topanga. Lmk.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
There are MC lifts that are similar, but I think better design than the one you are looking at (The way the lift arm extends on MC Lift is better and has a longer handle) My opinion.

I think I paid $69 for mine from Sears, which seems better than the similar MC lift from Harbor Freight.

Not sure what one can do under the Burgman 400 (plastic and stuff). Likely have to use some boards if can use at all.

I used mine on my regular MCs (Cruisers that did not have center stand), and even then - I used boards to hit the frame vs other stuff that hangs down below the frame that the arms would hit.

I think you need to look at a lift designed for MCs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a HF motorcycle lift and use it a bunch. I find if more stable than the center lift jacks but they have their use too. If you can afford the table lift buy it you won't regret it. Especially if you do motorcycle restorations like I do, its a lot easier on my back having the bike up off the ground a couple of feet.

Greg

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
looks like SEARS MC Lift is higher, $108, than when I bought.

I am pretty sure mine was around $69 on sale, but it has been years (so, I might be wrong).

http://www.sears.com/search=motorcycle lift

I have the Red One one with long handle. Handle is removeable once you get the unit set under the MC to make it easier to get around.

I only used oit to get bike up high enough to remove wheels from under the fennder to take wheel and tire to someone to change the tire ($15 to $25 vs wheel on change). I have been changing my own tires lately.

Anyway, I never jacked the thing up over a foot high as it is easier to get the axle out if you have something (boards or something) to support the wheel as you remove the axle. Then take the boards out and get the wheel out from under the fender. Just a bit of How To (At least my How To, which may not be the best). ;)

Bikes /Scooters with Center Stand - I have yet to use the jack completely under the machine (have used it to raise or hold front end up a little) after doing the following: I get bike wheels and side stand up on one board (like a 2x6 or 2x8) and then slide a board under the center stand and raise bike/scooter on center stand. This usually gets things up enough to be able to get wheel out form under the fender.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was thinking about getting a lift for my 400 to make it easier to work on. I saw a table lift from Harbor Freight that lifts from the wheels, but then I saw this one that lifts from underneath the bike.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326249_200326249?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Automotive-_-Automotive Lifts-_-148721&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=148721&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=148721&gclid=Cj0KEQiAr9ymBRDdqYrH6Mj5170BEiQAcRUsi7SPHdPJ30DYboQJK25Qxy-wMotBPQqXhfE6iwO4ZOMaAvqX8P8HAQ

It's smaller for easier storage, it leaves the wheels free for cleaning and it's less expensive. Any thoughts?
Been thinking exactly that - but from J&S, Before ordering I'd have to remove all the underside plastics to check if it would suit the frame, the J&S arms are 17" long, 2" wide and 16" between arms. Got that info from J&S by email.

Jim

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I forget now- is the plastic belly pan close to the frame tubes? If so, the lift would sort of "squish" the belly pan. I use a floor jack and a piece of plywood to lift the front end, no damage so far.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I just don't see the need to lift it for most maintenace - can do oil, tires (take wheels off and on) using Center Stand.

Admit, you have to get on floor, lay down or knees. I use pad or rugs under me.

Admit, it would be easier to do oil and tires if Scooter was at height that you could stand up, but not sure that type lift would work very good for those tasks and it would not be worth it to me (easy enough to do laying on floor - with pads or old rugs under you).

To me the only way to do get whole bike up to a height that you could stand and work on it would be the type lift that you set the scooter wheels on.

You do need to jack front up a little when removing front wheel. (at least I did). I did use the type lift for that, but with a board set to hit just a part of the frame and not under the whole bottom. A floor jack with a board as one guy mentioned would work for that (to hold front end up a little).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
MC lifts work well with HD- they have exposed frame tubes along the bottom.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just don't see the need to lift it for most maintenace - can do oil, tires (take wheels off and on) using Center Stand.

Admit, you have to get on floor, lay down or knees. I use pad or rugs under me.

Admit, it would be easier to do oil and tires if Scooter was at height that you could stand up, but not sure that type lift would work very good for those tasks and it would not be worth it to me (easy enough to do laying on floor - with pads or old rugs under you)..
When one is young enough to squirm around on the floor (as I did many years ago) - One NEVER thinks about older folk who have contracted back problems and CANNOT any longer work at floor level but still wish to carry out their own maintenance.

In younger days I spent more time under bikes and cars than I spent in bed, I loved it and thought nothing of it - but now at 77 with back and balance problems a proper lift has to be the only way to go, but of course they are also rather heavy to manoeuvre around the garage.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts