Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Harley Half Helmet with a eyeball paint job I got from my late uncle. I would like to re-stuff it and add a new chin strap but no one wants to take liability for it. I asked Dreyer Suzuki Honda and Harley Davidson. The helmet still works just a little to loose at this time. Does anyone have any ideas or am I sol?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "re-stuffing" the helmet. Does the helmet not fit properly? If no, I'd recommend you keep your uncle's old helmet on display on a shelf at home as a keepsake and get yourself a DOT-registered helmet that fits properly on which you can duplicate the decoration.

Can you post a picture of the helmet so we can see the "eye"? There are many ways (decals, stickers, etc.) to safely put an image onto a helmet. There's even a way to print your own waterslide decals if you want.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Helmets should be replaced after 5 years so regardless of use. The inner foam goes bad and maybe this is what Schwartz is wanting replaced? Never heard of anybody doing it but I suppose it could be done if you could find the correct foam core{they are molded to shape and can't be cut from sheet!}.

I personally like pyfis' advice, "put the original on a shelf and get a new one painted to match".

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The inner foam goes bad and maybe this is what Schwartz is wanting replaced? Never heard of anybody doing it but I suppose it could be done if you could find the correct foam core{they are molded to shape and can't be cut from sheet!}.
The new Lazar cutters can cut foam to any 3d shape now days.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Helmet Repair

Hi, I have a Harley Half Helmet with a eyeball paint job I got from my late uncle. I would like to re-stuff it and add a new chin strap but no one wants to take liability for it.
SB: I doubt that anyone would want to take liability for any half-shell skid lid. :D

My old Buco half shell helmet was adjustable. The foam could deteriorate and shrink without affecting the fit.

Some over-sized helmets can be sized by adding padding. It doesn't improve the protection but it can make the fit tighter.

How elaborate is the custom eye-ball paint job? As several have suggested, buying a new helmet and having an artist duplicate the design seems to be the best bet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts