Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Which do you usually wear when riding in warm weather?

• Leather Jacket

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Riding Jacket (with armor)

• Regular Shirt or T-Shirt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I wear a Joe Rocket Ballistic textiles jacket. They have lots of ventillating zippers on the chest, arms, and back. They also have a removable liner for the colder weather. I really do enjoy it much better than my old leather jacket. I would reccommend them.
They are much more cooler in the summer months IMHO. I just finished riding yeaterday 1*celsius , windchill -4* . I wasnt cold at all in the torso arm area. The fingers were the only area that got cool.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Fieldsheer Mach 2... but rarely wear it because it's so heavy, bulky, and usually a bit too warm for here in FL. I see a lot of guys wearing the Joe Rocket Ballistic. I didn't buy one because I was told they fall apart. The one I got has more padding and armor, but I think I'd wear it more if it were cooler and lighter... so I'm actually thinking about putting it up for sale here, and switching.

Plus, it's yellow and black - matched my previous bike but not my new one....

I've been thinking that I'll take a bunch of digital pics of it, and make an online album. That way people can see what condition it's in. It's in real good like-new condition... but I know I wouldn't take someone's word over the net... so pictures should help.

Kenny

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do your wear a jacket

Purchased a fabric riding jacket and bottm from Vanson Leathers. Vanson was highly recommended as a quality company. Has body armor on the ouside of each peice, flexable back plate and mesh toward the inside/body. High 50s is the lowest temp I have ridden in. Can ride in the bottoms all day without heating up. Jacket gets hot as temperature reaches toward 80 degrees. Very pleased averall with suit. Gives me a good feeling knowing I have the armor. Jacket comes in several colors and is sold as 'cool' suit. Pants sold in black only. Check them out at http://www.vansonleathers.com.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just blessed with a leather riding jacket, made in the USA, for only $25! It's worth over $100 for sure... and is like new. That should come in handy this winter when it gets down to a frigid 40-50.... (South Florida humor :D )

Kenny

·
Registered
857 Posts
Motorcycle Pants?

I live in Phoenix, and wear the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket right now. Really like it, although the new version has a liner which would be nic in "cold" weather - 45 degrees in am when I leave for work, so I wear a sweater or jacket underneath the Phx jacket and am fine.

BUT, what about pants? Right now, in the 45 degree mornings, I wear jeans under some nylon sweat pants, and I am barely warm enough. Yes, I know all you cold weather folk must think I'm crazy, but I like to be comfortable, and would like to find a pants with some protection, like the Joe Rocket Phx jacket, yet fits OVER my work pants - I usually wear khaki's.

The cycle shops around here don't stock much of anything, and I hate to order over the net unless i've at least seen what they look like in person.

Any ideas out there?

Also looking for some good "cold" (45-60 degree) gloves as my current ones are quite ventilated for the 105 degree summer weather.

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I have a english jacket from Cycle gear. Its a double summer mesh with soft armor. With all of the tourists in Vegas I always wear mine. I also have an XXL flourescent orange Eddie Bauer wind breaker that I had 3M diamond reflective cloth sewen onto it. It fits over my armor jacket and it meets the requirements to drive on a military installation.
-B

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have three different jackets: tourmaster 3/4 with armored pants, zero60 mesh and first gear trekker. I also have a Joe Rocket drytech liner (best deal), brosh pants with armor and Fieldsheer overpants.

Eddie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there,
it's a bit late in the day for me to be posting to this thread but let's see...

Over here in Europe we seem to have a lot of extremes - too wet, too cold, too hot....... no good averages - hehe.
So getting an all round outfit is almost impossible because depending on the weather situation (which can rapidly change) you've either got too much on or too little or it's not rain proof.

To cover most situations I have a warm thick textile jacket with armour for the spring and autumn - for the summer (when we get one) I have the BMW Savanna II jacket with armour - it's has many zips for letting air into the jacket (perfect when the temps are up about 40c) and it is of good quality. BMW clothing is not cheap but it is really well made.

One of the greatest new inventions that I have seen in recent times is a vest made by Gore-Tex (called "airvantage"), you wear it under your normal jacket and it has a mouth piece into which you can blow air in or let it out as the case may be to regulate the warmth (much like a scuba vest principal).

In the really cold periods I wear an under suit from BMW it has paraffin pellets which melt or congeal, increasing or decreasing you body warmth. It works like a charm. I personally don't like bundling up because your movements start becoming restricted which can be dangerous.

Rain - this is the biggest problem, there are many Gore-Tex type jackets around as well as Z-Liners and you read/hear all sorts of great/disappointing reports about these items. I have a rain proof suit jacket+pants in my luggage when on a long trip - for all short trips I have under my saddle a "throw away" rain suit - it's for those sudden rain storms, with a bit of care the thing will last 2- 3 times but only costs about $3.00 over here.

So by taking separate care of the rain situation I have a greater freedom of choice with other products to cover the hot/cold season.

This is not an easy topic to cover since there are many solutions - but as a guide line I follow the BMW forum here which has a specific "clothing" board - this board has many many postings each day. Some of the tips sound worthwhile, other less so.

Helmets - now that's another story that almost borders on religion...... :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got the new Hoe Rocket Phonenix 3.0 and really like it.

In Miami, one needs somethning when it heats up. I can remove the liner when cold.

Although I find it is not great when it is cold out, one would need to wear something else under it.

Great armor built in.

got it for $100 on line plus $15 shipping

1 - 10 of 10 Posts