Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Do you want more Political and Covad posts (2 picks)

• 1. Yes I do. We should be allowed to post them in the Tavern.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • 2. Some should be allowed but be vetted to make sure they are not just Conspiracy Theory posts.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • 3. This is a Scooter/Motorcycle forum and should be mostly about them. Some off topics should be OK

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • 4. I want this forum to be more like Facebook.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. NO!

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • 1. Yes I do. We should be allowed to post them in the Tavern.

• 2. Some should be allowed but be vetted to make sure they are not just Conspiracy Theort posts.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 3. This is a Scooter/Motorcycle Forum and should be mostly about them. Some off topics should be OK.

• 4. I want this forum to be more like Facebook.

• 5. NO!

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets see that the average Member wishes.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Dave_J, What does this mean...not the date and time but the “ Multiple votes allowed.” ?

“This poll will close: Sep 25, 2020 at 9:21 PM. Multiple votes are allowed.’’
You can pick two of the 5.

This is set up so we can see how many votes but not who voted for what. Even I can not see that.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
now the problem is, how to stop or judge what is and what is not, regardless of where it is posted. Covid I wouldn't mind as long as valid reference was included each time, politics is a stick with shtuff on both ends, regardless which end you pick up, yer stirrin the shtuff.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have already let some people I befriended on Facebook snooze for 30 days or unfriended for weaponizing their account with very hateful and unsubstantiated news. Maybe we need to update the Forum so we can ignore an individuals posts if we want. I'm a member of the Electric Bike Review forum and they allow you to ignore or block a members posts.

I'm not saying don't let people post in the Tavern but we should be allowed to choose who we sit next to to have a beer.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Maybe we need to update the Forum so we can ignore an individuals posts if we want.
Uncle, if you click on a members name you get members details/ranking/links to profile.

One of the options is “ignore”.

It works great and they just disappear out of your life. I’ve used it for serial stalkers who want to carry on point scoring vendettas across multiple threads or are more interested in a conflict than helping or getting to what’s true and what isn’t.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks, I didn't realize this forum already had that feature since I never had to use it. Good to know for future problems that arise.

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
now the problem is, how to stop or judge what is and what is not, regardless of where it is posted. Covid I wouldn't mind as long as valid reference was included each time, politics is a stick with stuff on both ends, regardless which end you pick up, yer stirring the stuff.
Well said @mikeyMarine
This is a touchy subject. There are valid points on both sides of the fence. It is hard to discern the good from the bad info. The media has not been our friend through all of it.
I'm not saying don't let people post in the Tavern but we should be allowed to choose who we sit next to to have a beer.
Also agreed. The Tavern is a somewhat open forum to allow slightly off topics to be discussed. Just my opinion but even in that forum there is a definite need for some rules of decorum. We have all met on this forum for a mutual love/affection or just general liking of the venerable Burgman. We need to be able to meet as friends and have a discussion while being civil. Sadly in today's world there are many topics that are hot buttons and many people who love nothing more than trolling others to get a rise out of them. If you find a person pushing your buttons on a regular basis, snooze them for awhile. That doesn't mean you don't want to be friends but that you just need a break from some rhetoric. Let's keep it civil and remain as friends who have differing opinions. As with many others here, my time in the military enforced the fact that we are all in this together no matter what side of the fence we find ourselves on.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
"Some off topics should be OK"
But how do you define "some"? Are we going to need the USSC to decide, and will the vote always be 5-4?

As to postings with "facts", "alternative facts", "verifiable links", yada, yada, yada, just how to you police that? If I post a link to a website, do we now have to verify and provide the providence of that website, it's political leaning, it's funding, etc?

In ANY subgroup except the Tavern, is should be strictly controlled. If you CHOOSE (there's that personal freedom thing again) to go to the Tavern, wear your BIG BOY PANTIES..... or simply don't go there. The Admin should not have to police (gosh, do we now have to defund Dave_J) the Tavern.

And Uncle Fester..... you're absolutely correct that we should get to choose who we have a beer with. But gosh darn it.... it better NOT be an American Beer. That's like making love in a canoe. F*kin Close to WATER!!!! At least forum members from countries other than Budweiser Land would agree, and we're not likely to drink Coors Lite soda pop just because it has a fizzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Heck, most US beers won't even give you a good head. LOL!!!!

Cheers boys, bottoms up!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
wish there were differently worded options to choose from.
Personally, I don’t see the reason to single out conspiracy theory chat, any more than any other chat/opinions.
Fir example: You’re already discussing movies, and they are 99% total hypnotic media for fictional stories......
Conspiracy theories at least have some fire at the site of the smoke,that makes them interested to me, at least....

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wish there were differently worded options to choose from........................
You will never get a poll questionnaire to suit all.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Fortunately the forum ain't a democracy, & most mods are pretty good at saying "Enough" and deleting stuff.
Of course just for fun I'm a bit capricious, but hey a touch of chaos adds spice to life.

"Some off topics should be OK"
But how do you define "some"? Are we going to need the USSC to decide, and will the vote always be 5-4

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I trust the three Moderators to tell me to BACK OFF if needed. I will listen to them and if its a consensus I will comply.

I deem the Moderators as an equal with no less weigh in decisions. While they have some powers to edit and ban a member, only the Admin can change forum settings. But even at that, the Forum's Owner's ADMIN outrank me. Really I am just a Super-Duper Moderator. Member Jim is the longest moderator followed by Tromper then Blacktruck. We had a 4th moderator for a short time but it was too hard to moderate from the 'Kit Kat Klub' ;)

If I really screw-the-pooch, Daboo will call me or text me to see whats up. ;)

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hate those threads personally. But, I would fight to the death for your right to say it. Uhhh, not really.

I realize that , in this world, there is a certain sizable group that needs to hear themselves talk. These people relish any opportunity to argue, post ceaselessly, spout off about any and every topic under the sun. Some I suspect can talk the wallpaper off the wall, and would labor on and on even if no one is listening or responding. These are not, nor ever will be, my tribe. I work hard to avoid em. No good can come of me being anywhere in close proximity.

I have another suggestion. How about if they choose to blabb about Politics and Covid in The Tavern, they are confined to there? The attempted buddying-up to mods, name-dropping, falling-over themselves to respond to each and every post as if they are the Welcome Wagon for the site . All that bleeds over into the informational sections of the site.We did that shizz when we were pre-teens, now I am a grandpa and don’t need it. It is sickening to me, yet is common in most forums I am involved with. It ain’t going away, dang it. But if it only could be somewhat controlled.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We had the 'Back Alley' that was password protected and you had to ask to enter but it was just a place where almost every post was blatant attacks on other members comments.

The members could not shut the door and enter another page without carrying their bitter Butthurt feelings over to a common post. The sites Admin had gotten many private messages about topics and it was decided to close it.

The only way it would be totally isolated off is if it WAS isolated off with maybe a LINK to it. So...

HINT HINT....

Start your own forum and then post a link for members to follow. Then post how you want the dialog to follow.
Just keep it over there. Do not bring your 'Butthurt' feeling back over here.

There are many FREE forums you can start and are kind of easy to set up. Just make sure you follow the "Terms of use" rules that they have in place.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With 20 days left on this poll it is trending more towards #5 and #3 .

I have not voted. My vote would be maybe #2 and #3 of the 5.

Oh just FYI, you can vote 2 items and you can now change your vote.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Me? #2 and #3.
If there's going to be vetting (per #2) someone needs to make a list of what "conspiracy theories" are off limits, and why.
Maybe drag all such posts into a separate, labeled, and otherwise locked thread?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Did I just see a thread vanish?
It was there a few minutes ago in the "recommended" queue.
(14 Sep 20, 0125 PDT)

Not complaining, just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Did I just see a thread vanish?
It was there a few minutes ago in the "recommended" queue.
(14 Sep 20, 0125 PDT)

Not complaining, just curious.
Yes, I also saw a post disappear and I’m not even curious anymore ....I just chalk it up to the Magic Bullet Theory.

Complaint Forms are Wired to the Grenade Pins. 🤣

·
Registered
417 Posts
How about a thread that a mod posted to after it was locked. Now it is not locked...🤔

1 - 20 of 42 Posts