Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just gotten the new GIVI 258ST Windscreen installed, and boy is it great. Very large, massive really compared to the stock unit. (and very still behind it)

Anyhow, I don't like the idea of using a nasty gas station squeegee on it, would only scratch it for sure.

Do you guys have a method you use to clean off the inevitable bugs & crust on your windscreen, that you can have ready on the scooter ?

TY - David

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I am using the last ounce of my beloved Nano-Wax which is now unobtainable. Any quick spray detailer works well and is non-hazing. Bugs get a 50/50% mix of hydrogen peroxide and H2o, it dissolves them, then the quick spray detailer on top.

·
Administrator
23,635 Posts
Spray Lemon Pledge.

Dollar General type store brand works just as well.

Spray the cloth and wipe. Spritz the bugs 5 minutes before.

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
I've just gotten the new GIVI 258ST Windscreen installed, and boy is it great. Very large, massive really compared to the stock unit. (and very still behind it)

Anyhow, I don't like the idea of using a nasty gas station squeegee on it, would only scratch it for sure.

Do you guys have a method you use to clean off the inevitable bugs & crust on your windscreen, that you can have ready on the scooter ?

TY - David
When I go on multi-day trips, I bring this giant spray bottle with me:

... and three or four micro-fiber towels (I buy them by the 30-pack, I think it is, at Sam's Club).

If I'm doing my day trips (e.g., 146 miles this afternoon), I keep a smaller version on the bike, with one towel. I use that to clean my helmet visor and GoPro, as necessary; I do the windshield when I get home.

This is the non-scientific system I've been using for a number of years, and I'm both pleased and satisfied with it.

On a more scientific level, here's a pic of a two-page article in this month's AMA American Motorcyclist magazine (and if this proves to be unworkable, I suppose I can make a PDF out of it):
Newspaper Font News Publication Slope

·
Registered
912 Posts
For all it’s aerodynamic looks of my 13, I can’t recall the last time I saw an oncoming bug manage to float over the bodywork without splattering. I seen bugs splatter as slow as 20 mph on this thing. In contrast, I’ve driven through bug swarms at night with the wife’s car, as fast as 45 mph , looks like a Star Trek scene, and have every single bug harmlessly swept over. Clean paint in the morning.
The Burger… It’s splattered bugs cleaning…every day

·
Administrator
23,635 Posts
Hire a family of Armadillo's. They will clean all the bugs off.

We stopped in Texas back in 1984 and a group of Armadillo's came over to my 65 Dodge Dart and were licking and clawing the dead bugs off the bumper and lower roll pan.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Absolutely a PLEXUS fan and on trips, I throw a can under the seat and a couple of micro-fiber cloths for windshield and mirror glass only. Also, if I happen to see, or even google coin-operated car wash, I might swing by one every few days and blast the front fairing/windshield/mirrors, etc to get the grime off. And that's it until I get home at trip's end.

·
Administrator
23,635 Posts
Absolutely a PLEXUS fan and on trips, I throw a can under the seat and a couple of micro-fiber cloths for windshield and mirror glass only.

Also, if I happen to see, or even google coin-operated car wash, I might swing by one every few days and blast the Dentures, Crotch rot, Toe-jam.... to get the grime off. And that's it until I get home at trip's end.
;)

• Haha
Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
28 Posts
Use a spray Bottle with this. Works grate and is cheap. I would not use anything in an aerosol can. I found it can start to delaminate the wind screen over time.
Bottle Liquid Product Bottle cap Fluid

·
Registered
54 Posts
Unless I'm washing or detailing the bike, I don't make any great efforts to get the windscreen squeaky clean. I want it clean, but minor distortions don't bother me.
I place a couple water-soaked paper towels over the dirty screen and leave them there.
Even with a real mess, it only takes about 10 minutes to soften up any bugs so I can wipe down, then finish with a dry paper towel.
Not perfect, but it doesn't scratch or discolor the screen. And, since I'm too old and feeble to tuck-in under and behind the wind screen and look directly through it works for me.

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
We need a clarification from @BackOnABikeAfter40years! for this thread: is he a look-through or a look-over rider? If the former, he needs to see where he's going; if the latter (like me), cleaning the windshield can wait until he gets home (and maybe has access to a garden hose, etc.).

As I mentioned earlier, on my outta-town trips, I like to keep my helmet visor and my GoPro clean. And if I'm riding to my daughter in Asheville (c. 840 miles away), and taking a day off to get some nice on-bike pics from the photographers at the Tail of the Dragon (c. two hours away), I like to clean up the whole bike beforehand.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400
114 Posts
Thankfully I am tall enough to look over the windscreen on my '03, because it is pretty much done for, but I'm not willing to spend the money on a new one of any type. When I do clean it I use a basic glass cleaner. I usually do this when I'm cleaning the visor of my helmet, so once a week or so when I'm doing my safety check.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow tons of ideas here.

So far - with my old, original and somewhat cloudy Suzuki Screen, my method on the STO Rally trip was to carry 2 ziplock bags, one with wet Blue shop towels to liquefy bugs, and another bag with dry Blue shop towels to gently wipe off.

Worked pretty well.

I like the various stuff - polishes - waxes etc + the microfiber towel idea.

Obviously the distance of the travel or just local affects the size of what you carry.

So, I'm gonna re-read all these posts & maybe buy a couple things to test that I can get local.

Your enthusiastic responses suggest that when something really BUGS you, you take action !

That much is CLEAR, right ?

TY - David

(PS: But not for long - and worse with a GIVI - man this thing is huge.
I can actually feel the GIVIs size sap a couple horsepower from the modest supply my 400 has lol.....)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We need a clarification from @BackOnABikeAfter40years! for this thread: is he a look-through or a look-over rider? If the former, he needs to see where he's going; if the latter (like me), cleaning the windshield can wait until he gets home (and maybe has access to a garden hose, etc.).

As I mentioned earlier, on my outta-town trips, I like to keep my helmet visor and my GoPro clean. And if I'm riding to my daughter in Asheville (c. 840 miles away), and taking a day off to get some nice on-bike pics from the photographers at the Tail of the Dragon (c. two hours away), I like to clean up the whole bike beforehand.
With the new GIVI - I'm a 'look thru' cause I'm not 7' tall lol

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
Water soak towel, best idea, rinse em in clean water an use em again Ima start carryin 3 bags during love bug season 1 for clean wer, one for dirty wet and one for dry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts