Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if / or what (wider than brand / type) Motorcycle touring groups you guys may belong to ?

I've heard of & been invited to join the BMW+ MOA group, which has a very active East Texas chapter.

To clarify, that's the BMW PLUS Motorcycle of America, association, where PLUS means 'any brand or type of motorcycle' is welcome to ride along with or attend any event or trip.

I wasn't really able to find any other comparable group of touring motorcycle riders.

So, do you guys belong to any groups like this ?

Somebody here posted a link to the 'Bunk a Biker' association, but I don't know if thats JUST a self help biker 'in case of trouble club' or if they do events & rides across the several states.

Thanks for any input.

Hope y'all are having a grand start to 2023 !

David in Texas

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,925 Posts
I consider ST-Owners to be such a group. I belong there still. Many of their members host riding/camping events as well as Ride to Camp (RTC) and Ride to Eat (RTE) shorter trips and group rides.
Many Many years ago I use to belong to the GWRRA and rode with many of those members when I owned a Gold Wing GL1500.
And when I owned my first Burgman 650 I was involved in a new startup group BTR scooter riders (Between Two Rivers) which was only a local group that all rode together around the area to different places to dinner or bike gatherings. Those members owned a variety of scooters and bikes from a Mustang to Scarabeo to Vespa to Sym to Honda and 2 sizes of Burgman.

And then there is this other group called Burgman USA. I know they do have some riders who gather together for riding and just meeting up on occasion.

I just cannot forget to mention about the CMA (Christian Motorcyclist Association). I'm not a regular with them but I have sometimes met and gone for rides with them in the area.

· Administrator
18,249 Posts
Never a "Joiner" even through my military days.

I did join a local Seattle 'Meet Up' group and did maybe 6 rides. But out of the 12 that would meet and ride 8 to 10 were Knuckle Dragging Pirate Costume wearies. A Goldwing or two would show up some rides. I tired of their trying to prove themselves and their bikes.

· Premium Member
9,801 Posts
The bank says I can't belong to anyything until I pay back some money, then they said I better call them and get approval before I even give blood! (Ima go drop off a urine sample ina parkin lot tonite)

· Registered
103 Posts
In the UK if the BMW club which incidentally used to be ( a long time ago ) the largest owners club in the UK stated that only members riding BMWs could attend or be members it would fold overnight.
I was a member for many years when I had my BMW K1200GT ( worse bike I have ever owned , made from recycled chocolate bar wrappers! ) but the mainstay of my membership was riding my Honda CBRXX super blackbird .
The only thing I liked about the BMW club was that they organise lots of camping weekends and rallies ( I still attend quite a few as a guest ) but I now belong to a breakaway group called SW riders & Campers which has a healthy membership.
I have been to plenty of BMW club rallies where Japanese bikes have outnumbered those riding Beemers but yeah I love meeting up with my mates and having a great weekend away on the scoot,my advice to anyone is give it a try and if they don’t want you try another group.

· Registered
103 Posts
The bank says I can't belong to anyything until I pay back some money, then they said I better call them and get approval before I even give blood! (Ima go drop off a urine sample ina parkin lot tonite)
I’m getting a little hard of hearing and the Doctor requested a urine,stool and semen sample, I asked my wife what she said and she replied “ just leave your underpants at reception ! ”

· Registered
2012 Burgman 400
342 Posts
BMW K1200GT ( worse bike I have ever owned , made from recycled chocolate bar wrappers! )
That must have been the 2nd Gen (I know it had issues)...1st Gen was great, just an upgraded K1200RS, which I had and is/was my favorite bike.

I rode with the local BMWOA group once, they were road racers, I could hardly keep up with them going 100 mph...

· Registered
48 Posts
I still belong to the Concours Owners Group, have been since 1998. I've had 3 Kawasaki Concours since 98 and still have one sitting in the garage. My legs stop me from riding it full time and then discovered, to my delight, a Bergman 650, rest is history.
Dave
2009 Burgy

· Registered
103 Posts
That must have been the 2nd Gen (I know it had issues)...1st Gen was great, just an upgraded K1200RS, which I had and is/was my favorite bike.

I rode with the local BMWOA group once, they were road racers, I could hardly keep up with them going 100 mph...
Hi BD, yes it was the 2nd generation and I purchased it with just 11,000 miles on the clock with full BMW main dealer service history with every factory extra you could get installed with the addition of a full communications set up.
The day I took delivery I encountered my first problem the infamous hot start were it appears the battery has run out of power.
The list from that point became endless and I got rid of it, things like the ABS module ( £1500 ) quoted to repair, the final drive and the fuel pump ( done on recall ) were some of the more expensive ones.
I asked BMW for a good will gesture towards some of the costs and got a letter saying no and that they never recommend anyone buys a bike outside of their network, always buy from us and take out our warranty.
The final drive at just 22K was the final straw and like I say I got shot of it.

· Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great thanks y'all:

The only local rider who reached out to me was Rich B, of our local BMW chapter, so I joined the BMW+ riders group. They're glad to have any other make ride with them.

I'm sure in a larger city like Tyler (4x times of Nacogdoches, Texas) our Houston or DFW one could choose from several motorcycle clubs.

This club has a ride plan to monthly go to a different Lake in our NE region of Texas, and down towards the Gulf Coast, towards Louisiana.

So, I thought that was a good way to get to know the regional Highways in this part of Texas, via Motorcycle.

There's also a "Grand Tour of Texas" which is a self guided 25 stop tour of the whole State.
Sounds crazy challenging, and a bit much for where I am right now.

Cheers - David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts