Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to make a choice that I don't want to make.

1. I either enter a new work environment in about ten days that is being created for me with the direct objective of failing me so I may be fired (excellent reviews over the last eight years under one of my now previous principals - I worked at two different campuses each week). The tricks that HR and IT have been pulling are so old that Methusala wasn't even around then. Also, the principal at my now new school, after our meeting earlier this week, verified my suspecions. Among other things, I will be expected to work with children who are special ed kids with other problems, yet I was told that one of the reasons I was being transferred was because I had problems working with kids - hello - here's your sign. Of course, no training was offered. FYI, I'm a tech, and I do mainly techie things, not babysitting, especially the ones who by no fault of their own will have lifelong challenges.

2. I walk - plain and simple. Most likely no unemployment (unless my filing of new ADA accomodation papers holds any water). The state organization I belong to is useless at this point - I guess they only really want to help teachers, not lowly techs (who, by the district's classification, are called teaching assistants).

As I said, I have eight years of excellent reviews (in writing). Basically, the principal at the school I was split with (2012-2013 school year) has done to me what she did to the person who had my position the year before (we both lasted one year under her and this will be the principal's third year at this school), along with another male teacher. Remember, most of elementary ed is female staffed. I'd still like to see the documentation that she claims to have submitted on me - no one seems to be willing to show it.

So, do I stay, fight and then get fired? Hey, when your new boss basically tells you how bad of an employee you are and how you're a problem employee, and he just met you, but I'm going to put you in a worse situation with kids than you've ever had - hello, even I can read that one!

Do I clean off my personal files, draft a very simple, clean, non-aggressive letter of resignation, send it to the appropriate folks, turn in my work computer and never look back?

Knowing me and what I see, I'm looking at walking. I feel I have no choice. The district is behind not only the real world technology wise but other districts so that no matter how many certs I get, I don't have much of a fighting chance out there. My objective is to get some real world training somewhere to put me back on a career path. Basically, every year I stay, I become, as I put it, more dinosauric.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
This is a really difficult one for anyone else to advise you and I feel very sorry that you find yourself in this position.

The fundamental problem is covered in your opening line in that you do not want to exercise this choice, but then describe a situation where you predict the employer is going to make that choice.

Perhaps it may be worth pursuing with your employer exactly how they see this change resulting in a success and how they envisage you can play your part in that success without any training?

If their response confirms your view that they are recalcitrant and have a hidden agenda of dismissing you then you may wish to consider maintaining control of your life and resigning.

In English employment law there is a principal of 'constructive dismissal' and you should do your research locally to see if this is a legal avenue that has applicability or merit in pursuing. in England if you resigned in these circumstances then you could take proceedings against the employer - essentially saying you resigned because you had no real effective choice and the situation is one of 'constructive dismissal'. Based on your story I would consider you would have a 60:40 chance of success. But labour laws will be different at your location and you will have to research and take advice.

So my advice is to take control of your life, have the meeting, do your research, take advice and then make your decision.

Hope that is helpful to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Given the choice between working in a job that makes me miserable and resigning, I'd resign. If you are any good at anything, you'll get a new job hopefully in something that you enjoy doing.

You'll know if you made the right decision if you feel like a weight has been lifted off of you as soon as you commit to it. Besides, quitting looks a lot better on a resume than the eventual conclusion to the story as relayed by you above.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Bummer deal not so HappyTech!
I had a similar situation with a boss but their issue was jealousy.
I stuck around until he fired me and then I fought it and did get unemployment benefits because I could show my previous good reviews. I had planned ahead and had another job lined up but took a long needed 3 month vacation on their dime. The crazy thing was that 1 year later they let the idiot boss go for firing all the quality help and 2 years later they filed bankruptcy. :rolleyes:
Good luck with what ever you decide but if I were you I would ask/look for a transfer to an upper grade school where they might appreciate technology better.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, Texas is what is called an "at will" state which means that unless you have a contract (rare in most cases), you can be dismissd (fired) for any reason at any time and also you can quit at any time. In other words, if the boss had a fight with the wife that morning, he can fire you for no reason - just because.

Second, I've been looking but no real luck. I'm a computer tech, but even with some of the more recent certifications, my actual level of hand's on techie stuff is out-dated. The district is not only behind other districts in technology, but way behind the real world, both in technology and what they allow their low-level techs to do. So, even though I may understand the concepts of the technology, I've never actually created or managed some of it and my younger competition has.

In so many ways, I really hate to separate. I was hoping to move up (they told me I was quite overqualified when I started), but such has not been the case. I wish no ill will to anyone - that only causes hurt to oneself.

As I said, I really don't want to make this decision, but I feel I have no choice -it's part of being an adult. I don't look forward to having no job or income and being as I'm not a youngster, the failing job market does actively discriminate against those over 40.

Again, I wish no ill will to anyone, but when the first words out of your new boss's mouth are about how bad your reputation is (I thought I had a good one), it doesn't take a "rocket scientist" to know what's happening, especially when they talk about documentation that you know nothing about.

Monday is a new day. Whatever I do, I will know this: I will have my dignity,self-respect and integrity intact when all is said and done.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
THINK, THINK THINK.....
and plan..........then make a decision that you will not regret!!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Having been in a similar position as you many years ago , I made my decision and have come to understand that no matter what , I /you have to live with it and probably for a long time .

I have to agree with the doc on this one,

Think ! do not act irrationally and let your ego drive the decision.

Plan ! your own get out as best as possible.

Act ! with class , they are going to talk bad about you any way , so at least don't give them more ammo . Believe me in a very short time they will not even remember who you are, what you contributed or how much you cared.

Then get on with your life , enjoy it and share your enjoyment.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am working on plans, I just need a bit of cooperation from the other members involved.

One of the blessings of writing drafs on a word processor is that no matter how many times you change it, you can't send it. :D

Plus, I have my editor going over my work, plus other trusted folks so it's not like I'm making a snap decision. Besides, I have a few days and hopefully I'll have a lot more input and related information by the second part of this week.

This is no win-win situation - and me being the main course, it's going to hurt no matter what happens (I said keep those matches away from them!!).

I may react in my mind, but there's a big difference between blowing off some steam to the wife and actually putting things "out there" like an irrational person. I'm sure all great military leaders have gotten a bit excited in their heads from time to time - they just never included those parts in their auto-biographies.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I once had a manager that was determined to fire me (a friend overheard him tell another manager). I was very careful to not give him a legitimate reason and I was still there when he left. He was later fired and I retired when I chose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to make a choice that I don't want to make.
Looking from a distance, I see the circumstances a bit different than you sitting in the middle of it. Sometimes distance helps, sometimes not. Here's how I'd think about it.

1) Unless the school district is getting ready to fire you for cause (something like stealing or sexual harassment), if you don't have another job lined up, I'd say DON'T QUIT. It's harder to get hired into a job if you're unemployed than if you're currently employed.

2) If the Principal doesn't like you, but doesn't have cause to terminate you, he/she may try to bluff you into quitting. This approach even has a polite name. It's called "Coaching People Out." You don't need to succumb to it if you don't want to.

3) I'm not an attorney, but what I've seen in the "Employment at Will" states I've worked in is, while you can be fired for "no" reason, it's not always so clear if you can be fired for a bad reason. Because of that, as long as you're not being fired for theft, assault, etc., the HR department will usually require a manager to put you on a Performance Improvement Plan (or something similar) before firing you. That's so HR can document they formally told you about your problem, gave you a chance to correct your behavior, and didn't terminate you for a bad reason. If they haven't put you on a Performance Improvement Plan yet, why leave voluntarily?

4) Bottom line, if you don't have something else lined up, what do you have to lose by taking the new assignment and waiting to see if they actually let you go. If you leave voluntarily, you probably won't qualify for unemployment. If they terminate you, it may take an appeal, but if your record is good, you might win.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Happytech I have found that it is easier to find a new job when you already have a job . I would not resign until I found a job you will be happy with-then resign. Use your spare time looking and send out resumes. Best of luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Even in "at will" states, it is a little more complicated if you work for a public entity (like a public school system.) He may have grievance rights.

And, if he can document that they made his position so difficult that he felt he had no option but to quit, it could be deemed "constructive dismissal" for unemployment purposes.

That being said, this is a highly state-specific matter, and I am not familiar with Texas' law on this matter.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At this point . . .

At this point, I'm going to stay - I just can't up and quit at this point, even with the wife's blessings. I'm just not from that era (I'm 55).

However, I am trying to get back in school (local community college) so I can take some very difficult CISCO courses. Of course, being back in school will also make the career center available, etc. I talked with one advisor in IT who said her graduates have no problems finding jobs, and they're in the 40 - 60 range.

So tomorrow I ride, and ride and ride - to go pick up official transcripts and deliver them and other papers so I can get registered.

Wish me safe travels, a lot of the roads are still under notorious construction and the rerouting of the familiar routes easily happens.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Good decision - throw your weight behind it and give it your best shot.

Good luck.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts