Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I recently changed the rear wheel on my 400. I did not balance the tire, I just put it on. I haven't noticed any wobbles or anything like that after I took it for several 60 mph runs. Is it safe to say that my new rear tire doesent require balancing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I know that my tire guy who only does motorcycle tires couldn't do it. Something about the rim didn't fit the machine. Idk. But, it's been fine for me for a long time.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
No it is not. You need to have a balanced tire. I recently put on a tire and the imbalance did not show up until 80 mph. Unless you somehow found the exact balanced position during the install (near impossible), you really need to have it balanced.

There is a product called Dynabeads, little ceramic beads you put inside. Through centrifugal force, they will go where the tire is imbalanced and balance the tire while riding. About two ounces should do. But don't ride high speeds until you get them or have the wheel balanced.

You are flirting with danger here.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is a product called Dynabeads, little ceramic beads you put inside. Through centrifugal force, they will go where the tire is imbalanced and balance the tire while riding. About two ounces should do.
+1 on the Dyna Beads. I used them on my VStrom tires and noticed I got good mileage out of them - around 6K on the rear instead of the usual 5K. They ran nice and smooth, too.

You do not need to remove the tire from the bike or rim. Put bike on centerstand to take weight off tire. Deflate the tire, unscrew the valve core (tool at WalMart is $2 along with spare cores), pour in the beads (slowly using a very small funnel), re-insert the valve core, inflate, and ride!

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll buy the 2 oz beads. Can I put half the beads in the front tire and the other half in the rear? Or all in one?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
On a pre-'07 400 just take the wheel to any automotive tire shop, because it mounts like a car wheel and has a large center hole it will fit on any dynamic balancer. The Tire Kingdom here in town doesn't even charge me fr doing it...

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks, I'll buy the 2 oz beads. Can I put half the beads in the front tire and the other half in the rear? Or all in one?
My tire guy puts in Two oz for a MC tire, but of course he has a wheel barrow of the stuff, so an extra oz is not a big deal.

I would stick with the packages recommendation. However, Since it seems fairly balanced already, perhaps put in one oz and see how it does.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
FWIW my experience with Dynabeads has been that they work OK, however real balancing works better.

Also I have observed that as the beads do their thing they break up into a powder/dust after 7.5k to 10k miles, and lose a lot of their ability to dynamically balance the wheel/tire. This has been especially noticeable on the front end, and at higher speeds; 75 mph+...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just want to add that tire balancing IS IMPORTANT.
I've bought a used AN400 ('00) in june, and when running at more than '90Km/h the vibration went impossible to handle.
I tire seller refused to check the balance 'cause "with that small wheels is unnecessary, and the rear wheel is too "tied" to the motor to feel any vibration".
I dismounted the two wheel, then "forced" him to check (i was paying the needed time).
After the job i had no more vibrations, and he admitted he was wrong and never had thought it was important.

So, do it :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
After having to pay what seemed to be very high rates to replace tires here in Florida I decided to do the job myself last time at less than half the cost of having it done at my local shop. (12 months ago). I didn't have either wheel balanced & never noticed any vibration what-so-ever at speeds up to 70 MPH and since most of my driving is done locally at speeds under 50 MPH I feel that in some cases it might not be necessary. Perhaps I got lucky when I mounted the tires and I'll see next time when I replace them.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I recently had a flat while running about 45MPH on my Vespa GTS 250ie. With small 12 inch tires, it was not fun.

On my ST1300, I used Ride On, a product for sealing small punctures, as well as balancing the tire. Never had a flat while using the stuff, and it seemed to balance the tires.

I'm going to try "Ride On" in my scooter tires.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Just did the rear tire today. When he went to balance it, it said it didn't need any weight. The machine said it was perfect. I put on the Metzeler FeelFree and it seems to be great. Anyone else fine their rear tire didn't need balanceing?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Both of my first rear tires slung the weights off within a thousand miles. I never replaced them and had smooth riding with no issues. My last 2 sets of rear tires I never even bothered. On the rear tire their is so many other dynamic forces going on it wouldn't be noticed much unless you got a really bad tire.
On the Front tire however I always balance it and found it makes a huge difference!
I've used DynaBeads and like them but they do have a life expectancy as well. With the high RPM's of our 13" wheels they will wear down to dust in the front tires at about 9000-10,000 miles. The rear tires will have to be replaced before then so no issue there. Just make sure the air valve is always top dead center every time you check or fill you tire with air!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts