Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this a good place to post this, but it has helped me enjoy riding more.
I have had ear problems most of my adult life,and not the least is problems with my balance. Last Spring I was treated by a therapist who showed me a new way to counteract the balance problem. I am no doctor and outside of some basic First Aid training with Bell Telco, I, like most people, have found what works for me.
She had me on my back on a table with my head hanging over the end and tilting my head back as far as practical, count to 30 seconds; then look to the right as far as possible and comfortable, count to 30; then roll my head to the left, and again count to 30. I was shown how to lie on the floor with a pillow sideways under my shoulders so my head was "hanging" over the side of the pillow. Then with my head tilted back as far as I could comfortably do, I count to 30. Now the fun part, roll my head to the right and count again to 30 (I usually get as far as 10-15 seconds and the world starts to spin for 5-7 seconds before settling down). Then to the left for the 30 count and finally I look back of me for a 30 count and sit up for a 30 count. It works! Simple, no cost, effective. I always get up carefully and pause shortly, just to make sure, but it seems to be good for nearly a week. If you are having balance problems and think it may help you too, please feel free to try it. If you know a therapist and can ask him/her about it please do so.
I have been using this procedure once a week and it has helped me immensely. Once in a while I have bent my neck back too far and have felt a tightened neck so be careful to only go as far as comfortable. You may want a "convenience bag" handy the first time in case your world spins too much. YMMV but good luck and I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.
Enjoy the ride.
NodakRider

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Just a word of caution.!!!!!! Without knowing the root cause of your vertigo - Be it from medications, inflammation, chronic disease, Menier's Disease, psychological or some other cause....I am sure that your intentions are good and this therapy may have helped you - It may not be the solution or even appropriate for someone else before a definitive medical diagnosis is made:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dizzin ... ION=causes

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I had a bad fall several months ago and as a result have vertigo, which has kept me off my scoot as a quick movement of my head especially to the right would cause a dizzy spell. Anyway a Nuerologist prescribed those exercises for me, and they have helped. As the Doc told me I have rocks in my head, I said, "hell, I knew that already!" Actually it is loose crystals in the inner ear and the exercises help get them out of the fluid and settled into a spot where they won't screw up signals to the brain as to what direction you are going. OK, I'm done, hope no one fell asleep! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm..!!!!!! Anyone want to hear about my severe bowel problems or my abdominal hernia......???? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh to be sure, have any source of vertigo medically checked out. As I said I am not medically trained, I only wanted to let others be made aware of that there may be help available in the form of a procedure I was shown.
I had many visits to the doctors who froze the eardrum to extract fluid from the inner ear and this would relieve the vertigo for about 2 weeks as I remember. But it took a visit to the doctor's office just about 2 times a month to keep it cleared up. I gave that up as just too darned expensive. That was about 20 years ago and I have had to put up with it until this therapist showed me this procedure. I am elated that it is something I can do on my own to help me ride the scooter and H-D, and not have to be so careful that I don't feel dizzy in the least before I get on.
I hope I don't offend anyone by this posting, just thought someone else may be helped by knowing.
Enjoy the ride.
NodakRider

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
The only thing I can add is that the Doc I saw said to only do the exercises for 2 weeks. But the exercise did help quite a bit, but I still have some dizziness, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was when I first fell. I need to get back on the scoot and see how I do. Ride safe! :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Wes,
Did the Doc give any reason why not to continue the exercise after 2 weeks? Just curious, as I have been doing mine for about 3 months now. I am no smarter than I was before starting it, but, I am no longer having to sit on the floor for 30 seconds after I have laid flat on the floor (garage or house) to look at something or work under a vehicle. If there is a valid reason, please post it for all to see. I am, for one, very happy with the results. I know I am not qualified to offer medical advice, but, it works for me is all I am saying. YMMV
Enjoy the ride.
NodakRider
ps I don't know if age has anything to do with it, but, I am 72.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
The Doc did not say why only 2 weeks, and Dummy (me) did not ask him. I'm 63 and I am doing the exercises less frequently but continuing as I still have moments where I get dizzy, especially if I bend at the waist and turn my head to the right. As far as our ages go, this is just further proof that growing old ain't graceful nor is it for wimps!

Ride safe! :thumbup:
Wes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wes, I'm a little older, but I have had the same thing happen a couple of times during my life. My doctor told me the same thing as yours. There are several meds that should help as well as leaving the salt shaker alone during dinner. This condition usually clears itself but sometimes takes several months. Quick head movements (more so if laying down) can bring it on. I've never had any trouble on my bike or driving but it is something to be aware of.

Thanks to all of you for this thread. Now I know I'm not the only one.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Blood pressure medicines came cause dizziness when you move fast from a setting position to standing also. Now as we get older we know why the old folks move slower. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts