Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankfully I haven't suffered this particular failure as of yet.

I had been corresponding with a fellow Burgman owner who had to repair his stripped engine oil drain plug.

He was kind enough to provide some pictures about the product that he used.

I put together a quick DIY with the information he provided along with his pictures just in case anyone else may find themselves in performing a similar repair.

DIY - Stripped Engine Oil Drain Plug Repair

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Ah yes a Time-Sert http://www.timesert.com we use them all the time at work. Of course he could have used a longer drain bolt for a while since the threads further back were still ok also.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
. Of course he could have used a longer drain bolt for a while since the threads further back were still ok also.
I agree with the longer bolt...I stripped mine on it's first oil change:mad:...thank you Suzuki for incorrect torque values in the service manual:mad:

Going on 9 years now with the longer bolt and no leaks ever:D...if I recall correctly, the longer bolt was $4.00 at the dealer

JMHO

Bill

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
.....Of course he could have used a longer drain bolt for a while since the threads further back were still ok also.
that's what I did on my stripped transmission oil level plug, have never taken it off again.
This looks like a very nice product, what a professional would use, hopefully I will never have to do it....

... thank you Suzuki for incorrect torque values in the service manual:mad: Bill
Ok, now I am curious, what torque value did you use and where in the service manual?

I have been using 16.5 lb-ft on the engine oil drain plug ever since I got my 650.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
LeDude

Can't say what or where at this point in time...We had a thread years ago on the various different torque values that had been printed between 2003,2004,etc.

I'm not sure how to look up old threads on this forum...and really do not have the time now...

Sorry I can't be more help

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts