Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my solution to balancing the rear wheel of my 04 Burgman 400.

Let my give you a little background on why I went the route I did on the balance. I'm been mounting and balancing my own motorcycle tires for over 20 years. My tools where set up to be portable because of my hobby of roadracing motorycles and many times changing my own tires at the track. I no longer race but still have the equipment and the know how.

Here's a picture of axle/rod that I used on the Burgman front wheel on my static balance stand. Easy, just slide the rod through the wheel and place on the stand and the heavy side falls to the bottom. Add weight to the opposite side (light/up side) in the right amount (trial & error) and the tire doesn't fall to one specific spot (balanced).

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now, on to the rear wheel.

The Burgman has more of an automotive style rear wheel with a large hole (about 53mm or just over 2 inches) in the center. My axle/rods with my balance stand are 12mm and 15mm which are just a tad small :). There are other solutions doing a Goggle search of some very nice products for motorcycles/scooter with wheels similar to the Burgman. However, the down side is cost $$. Right now I have more time than money in my life so I had to "give it a think" for a possible "cheap" solution.

After a little trial and error I came up with the following solution for a "large" axle/rod for the Burgman. 1 1/2 inch, schedule 40, PVC pipe and 2 end caps. Here's a few pics of of how I made these common and cheap parts work for my balance stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I am fortunate to have both an '03 400, and a Tire Kingdom store 1/2 mile away--they have spin-balanced the rear tire twice for free. It gets better.

Last spring I picked up a spare rear wheel and in the Fall I dropped off the spare wheel/tire and a new Pilot SC with a "when you get a chance" request. They called an hour or so later saying come get it; no charge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts