Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a few days of fiddling but my Bestem 2012 T-Box is installed. This is my first hard luggage on a scooter or motorcycle so I tried to over build the rack. Worried about the latching system too so I drilled through the bottom of the box and zip-tied it to the rack. Kind of a semi-permanent mounting since I can snip the zip-ties in the future :)

Obviously I borrowed the instructions and ti0s from another members. Here's one thread http://burgmanusa.com/forums/14-bur...ished-instructions-diy-luggage-rack-pics.html & the wiring from MicBergsma
Thank you for this information!

I started with one 1/2 inch 36 inch long stainless steel threaded bolt, 4 nylon lock nuts & 4 washers. My hometown has a Fastenal store and I went with their suggestion of using all stainless nuts & bolts.

Next I cut the 36 inch bolt into two 16 inch lengths. Then you'll have to drill the holes out on the rear passenger rest to 1/2 which is just a 1mm or so larger.

Here's a few picture of the bolts installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next, after a night to think about it, I added some triangle supports to the long bolts. Briefly thought about bending aluminum but in the end decided to use safety wire and cover in black vinyl tubing. The support wire took out the small downward sway/bend in the bolts which was a concern in my mind with vibration on the road with a loaded trunk.

How sturdy is the rack? With the Burgman on the center stand I can push down on the back of the rack and easily bring the front tire off the ground, without much bend in the long bolts. Right now I'm happy but time and road miles will be the real test :p

Here's a few more pics of the safety wire supports, the Bestem mounting rack, and the modified Suzuki black cover (used a 1 inch hole saw bit to cut). Lastly I tossed the 4 Bestem mounting nuts, bolts, & washers and went with stainless steel and nylon nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bestem supplied back rest was removed so the lid could open another 2 inches or so. The other option was to extend the bolts longer, but 16 inches is long enough, plus the Bestem back rest pad won't be used by the passenger.

Now, what to do with the 6 holes in the trunk from removing the backrest pad? I tried to find some black push type pins from the local auto parts store but they didn't look that great and required some filing to fit. A big decal/sticker ran through my head too. This brought me to my final solution, I cut some 1/2 inch gray vinyl circles on my vinyl cutter. Yes, I purchased a small vinyl cutter years ago when I was racing so I could letter up my own bikes and trailers.

I slightly mis-judged the opening of the trunk lid and it needs another 1/8 of inch to fully open. However, it does stay up when open on level ground so I'm happy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiring.

Purchased the pigtail that MicBergsma suggested and basically just used the ends cut and soldered to the Bestem wires. (I liked this connection better than the bullet type connectors from Bestem)

Next, I removed the clear Suzuki crimp fittings, added the additional Bestem wire, and then replaced with regular wire nuts. FYI, the wires are bare under the Suzuki crimp fittings and no real protection from water, IMO, which I found interesting.

Lastly, I routed the wired against the right hand side bolt and zip-tied in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost

Bestem T-box from Amazon $90

Stainless steel bolts, nuts, & washers about $35

Time, about 8 hours including running back and forth to the stores

First time is always the worst and could install the second one easily in 4 hours or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts