Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Originally posted this to small scooter forum (Scootdawg.net) but thought it would be a good to have it here on the Burgman forum since I spend more time with the "big" scooters. Also, I know at least one other Burgman owner as the same E-Ton scooter.

Thought I'd find a forum for my son's E-Ton Sport 50 mods. This is a 50cc GY6 scooter (4-stroke) and as I worked on it noticed it has some components marked/manufactured by "SYM".

This is one of 4 projects I've been working from last year to now. My other projects are a 1973 Honda CT90 (Trail 90), 1979 CT90, and a "new to me" 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400. The CT90's are ready for sale and I just finished the maintenance (valve adj, tires, fluid changes, etc) on the Burgman which I purchased in December.

We had a nice break in the winter weather last week which gave me a chance to ride the E-Ton for some baseline numbers. It's was all stock until last fall when I made a custom K&N filter using an old filter from a Subaru Impreza which we no longer own. The K&N gave a little better level top speed from 32-33mph to 34-35mph, noticeable but nothing crazy (as expected). Also during a snowy afternoon I adjusted the valves which were both tight. Mileage is about 475 currently.

Lastly, before my big real world dyno run (riding on public roads) I added a Trail Tech (#72-A00) tachometer which is very easy to install. This was installed so I could see the revs this little monster was making and plan to use 10,000 RPM's as a redline.
Used this from the manual for my 10k redline estimate -
Max. HP 2.35 kw/8500 rpm
Max. torque 2.91 N.m/6500 rpm

Below is a copy of my notes so far;

All Stock flat ground max top speed = 32-33 MPH

1st Run all OEM/Stock except for K&N filter (Valves Adjusted, new NGK plug and final gear oil changed)
Flat ground max top speed = 34-35 MPH. Max RPM's = 7800-7900
Hill climb (very steep) = 2 minutes 26 seconds
Down hill max top speed = 40 MPH. Max RPM's = 8100-8200

2nd Run changed CDI (all else as 1st run)
Flat ground max top speed = 37-38 MPH. Max RPM's = 8400-8500
Hill climb (very steep) = 2 minutes 25 seconds
Down hill max top speed = 45+ MPH. Max RPM's = 10000+

Once the snow melts I do have the scooter ready for the next run with a new performance variator with 5gm sliders. (FYI 5gm is OEM weight). Also, removed a SPEED LIMITER WASHER on the boss. I couldn't confirm the E-Ton had one from searching online but it does.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3rd Run changed Variator & Sliders-5 gram(stock weight) (plus previous, K&N Filter & new CDI)
Flat ground max top speed = 38-39 MPH. Max RPM's = 8500-8600
Hill climb (very steep) = 2 minutes 21 seconds
Down hill max top speed = 45+ MPH. Max RPM's = 10000+

4th Run changed Sliders-4 gram (plus previous, K&N Filter & new CDI & new Variator)
Verified stock main jet before run. It is a #85
Flat ground max top speed = 36-37 MPH. Max RPM's = 8400-8500
Hill climb (very steep) = 2 minutes 20 seconds

5th Run changed Sliders-mix 4 & 5 gram (plus previous, K&N Filter & new CDI & new Variator)
Flat ground max top speed = 37-38 MPH. Max RPM's = 8800-8900
Hill climb (very steep) = 2 minutes 12 seconds
Down hill max top speed = 45+ MPH. Max RPM's = about 9,500 rpm's

Summary
Final run (5th) seemed to be the best of top speed plus hill climb speed. This was with three 4 gram sliders & three 5 gram sliders, or 3 grams lighter overall versus stock (6x5gm=30gm) which is a 10% decrease in slider weight.

This increased stock flat/level top speed from 32/32mph stock to 37/38mph, or a 5 mph increase which is 15%.

The timed hill climb went from 2 minutes 25 seconds on run number two to 2 minutes 12 seconds, or a 13 second decrease which is 9%.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boys and their scooters. Ain't it great.
I was thinking the same thing Thursday afternoon watching my neighbors grandson ride his "big wheel" in their driveway. There I was in my own driveway playing with a 50cc scooter and about the only difference was age, I'll be 50 this summer :p ! I had to laugh thinking my life hasn't changed very much since riding my first Honda 50 years ago.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll be 64 this April and it only gets better. Returning to a 650 after some time on Goldwings. I'd love to also have a Genuine Little Buddy 125cc.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'll be 50 this summer :p ! I had to laugh thinking my life hasn't changed very much since riding my first Honda 50 years ago.
Started riding in utero, eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update.

No problems to date with upgrades (from above) to the ETON after roughly 250 miles. I did notice yesterday the plastic airbox mounts where broken which explains the noise when hitting potholes. Used zip-ties to fix :)

I decided to change the slider weights in the CVT to all 5gm (total 30gm) which is the stock/OEM weight. The previous total weight of 27gm was causing too much revs IMO and loss of a few miles per hour on top-speed. I did a 20 mile road test yesterday and I like the scooter better with the change. Very easy now to keep the revs at or below 9,000 RPM's unless going down a really steep grade/hill.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts