Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been one of those way overdue project that has been sitting on the back burner for way too long.

I finally got it done while I had the scoot all apart and full access to its naked body, much easier to route cables.

I wanted a simple unobtrusive setup that would get my attention on those occasions when I forget to reset the turn signals.

I could not find what I wanted commercially so I made my own setup for under $3.00.

I had purchase a bunch of LED clusters for 10 cents each a while back and finally got to put them to good use.

Put together a quick DIY for those that may be interested in adding turn signal LEDs to their mirros, I get so many e-mails
on this particular subject.

DIY - LED Turn Signal Reminders

I have mine configured so the three LED strips blink regardless of which turn signal is active, Left or Right.

A few pics as usual with the video to follow soon:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
LeDude said:
I have mine configured so the three LED strips blink regardless of which turn signal is active, Left or Right.
Aren't the LED's you mounted in the mirrors going to confuse other drivers making them think you are going to go either left or right?

I'm going to install a Buzzer for the indication when I get around to it.

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
InfernoST said:
LeDude said:
Aren't the LED's you mounted in the mirrors going to confuse other drivers making them think you are going to go either left or right?

I'm going to install a Buzzer for the indication when I get around to it.
A simple diode matrix and a buzzer or 1 LED should do it for me. :D

One each diode wired to the + wire for the turn signal and the other side connected to each other and to the Buzzers/LED input wire, then the other side is wired to Neg. When power flows thru the diode it is blocked from flowing up to the other light by the blocking of the second diode. The power must flow down thru the buzzer/LED to ground.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
InfernoST said:
LeDude said:
Aren't the LED's you mounted in the mirrors going to confuse other drivers making them think you are going to go either left or right? I'm going to install a Buzzer for the indication when I get around to it.
I don't think so, the LEDs are very small and are housed inside the mirror, barely noticeable by other drivers...

The turn signal bulbs over power the LEDs and are what drivers look for.

Buzzers are kind of worthless as they are hard to hear and very annoying.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Dave_J said:
A simple diode matrix and a buzzer or 1 LED should do it for me. :D

One each diode wired to the + wire for the turn signal and the other side connected to each other and to the Buzzers/LED input wire, then the other side is wired to Neg. When power flows thru the diode it is blocked from flowing up to the other light by the blocking of the second diode. The power must flow down thru the buzzer/LED to ground.
I'm going to turn my front signals into running lights, I'm going to use 2 form-C relays (Have to check the lamp resistance and try to get a coil as close to it as possible) and use the NO side of each relay to drive the buzzer.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
LeDude said:
The turn signal bulbs over power the LEDs and are what drivers look for.
I still think the drivers especially at night are going to mis interpret your intentions.

LeDude said:
I don't think so, the LEDs are very small and are housed inside the mirror, barely noticeable by other drivers...
Buzzers are kind of worthless as they are hard to hear and very annoying.
Then you haven't heard the buzzers/sonar alerts we use in the fire alarm industry.

IMO a buzzer is the way to go, if you're already not paying attention to one flashing light on the dash odds are you wont notice the others either especially during the day since the LED's you are using don't seem to be very bright.

·
Administrator
20,101 Posts
InfernoST said:
I'm going to turn my front signals into running lights, I'm going to use 2 form-C relays (Have to check the lamp resistance and try to get a coil as close to it as possible) and use the NO side of each relay to drive the buzzer.
Edited, Form C relays are STDP. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz http://www.vtiinstruments.com/SupportBx ... x?FaqID=97
A normal relay is a Form A relay. Time for me to get back to the books, rooky :D

Two STDP 5 pin relays will work and are very cheap. Wire the lights to pin 87a and the buzzer to pin 87. Thinking out loud (typing), as a matter of fact you could just hard wire both relays pin 87 to each other as common then to the buzzer. The relay will keep the voltage from back feeding as the other non-energized relay pin 87 is normally open. I have used STDP relays wired backwards so two different voltages can be switched out to pin 30. With say 18V's on pin 87 and 12 V's on pin 87a, pin 30 sees 12 V's until you energize it then it switches to pin 87 and 18 V's. We used this on a race motor with 14:1 compression and 18volts just to the starter.

I guess you could also wire the turnsignals to pin 30 with a resistor on pin 87a for dimmer running lights and straight 12V's to pin 87 for bright blink. You will still need a LED Flasher as relays have not enough load for the OEM flasher.

But if you can mount these two from c relays solidly to some tuperware you may hear the tink-ah-tink-ah-tink sound.

Thread Drift

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
InfernoST said:
Then you haven't heard the buzzers/sonar alerts we use in the fire alarm industry.
Good luck with your buzzers, I am sure they are going to work for you...
As for the turning your turn signals into running lights, there is another thread for that where information can be shared for those interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts