Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a step by step how-to document that shows you how to change the spark plugs on a Burgman 650.

Spark Plug Maintenance

I hope it proves to be of some help... I just did mine and all I can say is be patient and it will happen. This particular maintenance
task requies a lot of patience mainly because of the limited space that we have to work in behind the radiator. Make sure
your OEM tool set has the spark plug adaptor.

My plugs definitely needed to be replaced at 18k miles. I was going to wait until I changed my front tire but I am glad I got to it
sooner as they looked pretty worn out. I will be changing mine every 10k miles from here on as I have switched to a 5k service maintenance interval now that my warranty is up.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flyerjmr33 said:
You did good--- but-- steps 17 & 18 are reversed.
not exactly sure how you can install the radiator boot/cover after closing it up... you will have to show me that one...

·
Registered
947 Posts
LeDude said:
flyerjmr33 said:
You did good--- but-- steps 17 & 18 are reversed.
not exactly sure how you can install the radiator boot/cover after closing it up... you will have to show me that one...
I was thinking that the radiator cover was what you were refering to--- the first thing you removed---

·
Banned
14 Posts
thank you so much. i now feel more confident on changing the spark plugs on my own. two questions though.
the first: do i have to take the front left plastic panels off or was it done just to get a better picture?
the second: last time i tryed to change the sparkplugs i found out that the spark plug caps where on there really tight.
is that normal? i don't wantto brake anything.
thanks

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
edmundomouet said:
...two questions though. the first: do i have to take the front left plastic panels off or was it done just to get a better picture?
the second: last time i tryed to change the sparkplugs i found out that the spark plug caps where on there really tight. is that normal? i don't wantto brake anything.thanks
You don't really have to take any tupperware off to change the spark plugs, I happend to do mine while I was doing something else hence the pictures without the tupperware.

The only part that you have to remove is the lower radiator cover/rad. The caps are on pretty tight, just take your time and wiggle them out slowly, they will pop out, be careful not to hit the back of the radiator when removing the caps, it's a pretty confined space.

good luck....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Does anyone have this step by step?

·
Registered
7 Posts
How I can find out that my spark plugs are ok or not ?burgman 650 wont start I just checked the spurk plugs and I feel that the spark is so small

·
Administrator
17,610 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
One thing that is missing in your tutorial and in Youtube videos is how to get the clips off of the spark plug plugs. It took me a while to see the part where there is a clip. You have to lift that up till it clicks and then it comes unplugged very easily.

Also, getting that spark plug plug out was difficult. I found it a bit easier to twist it left and right while pulling.

Just replaced my plugs and wow, it made a difference!

·
Administrator
17,610 Posts
I do not know of any clips that hold the coils on to the plugs steel connection. The coil pack does have a spring loaded clip but there is no lever to move to pull them off the plug, BRUTE force is all. Twisting may or may not help, more of wobbling back and forth does. Smaller hands may also be a blessing in that tight area as my size 11 hand gets in its own way.

Before screwing the new plugs into the engine, remove the screw on plugs top cap as its for old clip on plug wires and our coils will not fit.
NGK CR8EIX.jpg <<< Click on me

For that reason I went to Iridium plugs as I never want to change them ever again. Costs are about twice as much but quality is so much better.

Denso IU24 or NGK CR8EIX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts