Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With many thanks to Allwalk for his write up and pics I completed my Blackbird's 600 mi svc yesterday. I worried most about removing and replacing the plastic bits but that proved pretty straightforward. With the help of the pics identifying the screws and fasteners I found them all and was able to pry off the plastic without breaking anything. For those of you thinking about this I recommend placing each screw and fastener on a paper labelled with the place from where it came. Really made putting the puzzle back together much easier. I lost count of them after 10 or so. Another clue that will save time is to read the fine print on the motor oil you buy for the change. As I was reading the instructions from Allwalk I noticed that the oil API classification required was SF or SG (in bold print). The Castrol I had was SL so I had to make a trip to AutoZone for more oil. Added an hour to the project. Draining and refilling the oil is easy, refilling the tranny and gear oil is not. The fill hole is parallel to the ground so I use an old oiler pump to fill the holes. Maybe a funnel and some tubing would work as well. Someone noted you do not have to use the tranny filler hole, just pump oil into the fill level hole. Worked for me. Didn't realize how thick 90 weight gear oil is. The stuff that drained out was much thinner. Blackbird sounded a little quieter with the thick stuff around the gears.

Total time (including trip to store) was 3 hours. Next time it will be less than 2 (but not much). Very satisfying project from a money saved as well as learning about the scoot's innards standpoint.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well done Habu - and some good tips too.

It gets easier each time :wink: I am sure you will do it in under the hour (as long as you purchase the correct oil :wink: )

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm glad it went well for you. There's really nothing to be afraid of when tackling this job. The money and time saved is great not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Habu55 said:
...The fill hole is parallel to the ground...
What did you do, lay your Burgman on its side?

On mine, the hole is perpendicular to the ground. :p

Just teasing. Glad to hear everything went well for you.

I need to check mine out. It's been a little noisier since my last service, and I wonder if they used engine oil for all three points, rather than properly using engine oil for engine and tranny, and 90 weight for the final drive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,

My guess is they used something less thick than the 90 weight. I could not find straight 90w anywhere and finally had to order a quart from a catalog. Closest I could come was 80-90. If you loosen the fill plug and you have 90w it will just ooze out pretty slowly. The stuff that came with the scoot flowed just like 10-40 oil.

I'm thinking next time I replace the tranny and gear oil I'll have my bride hold the scoot at a 45 degree angle to make filling easier. And I'm also thinking of trading my Miata for a Ferrari. As you can see I have a rich fantasy life.

C

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Habu55 said:
I'm thinking next time I replace the tranny and gear oil I'll have my bride hold the scoot at a 45 degree angle to make filling easier.

And I'm also thinking of trading my Miata for a Ferrari.

As you can see I have a rich fantasy life.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do I think getting the Ferrari is the more liekly? :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts