Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wilder days said:
...its no wonder the jap manufacturers feel that spending alot of time and advertizing in our countries is mostly a waste of time. Over time maybe this will change, but it will take some time.
And maybe in time some people will stop refering to Japanese as "japs." :evil:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Brian, chill dude.
That statement wasn't a slam against the Japanese, it was just a nic name.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
wilder days said:
Brian, chill dude.
A nic or a commonly used abbreviation. I've been refered to as a Canuk many times by American citizens who have been commonly refered to as Yanks by many. Is it slander or ment as disrespectful? No I don't think so.

Everybody please relax!! I don't want to see this topic get side tracked and get put way out of proportion. Thanks

·
Registered
728 Posts
I totally agree Randy,. Its all about money.
and yes , we all have "pet" nic names for other countries etc. I know quite afew Aussies that like to refer to us in the USA as Yanks, and I in turn refer to them as Aussies, no harm done, its just a way of refering to people in other countries.
Now, if we were to put curse words before the nic names, then it would be an insult to them.
anyways, putting this aside, I'm sur e what will ahppen is, as soon as I buy the 2005 burgman, they will offer up the "deluxe" model here in the states. Thats usually my luck. I am glad that I decided to wait it out till '05, and not get an '04. For this I'll get a few new goodies.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wilder days said:
Brian, chill dude.
Some nicknames and pet names are without negative "loading." Some are even encouraged and beloved by the person or group to whom they are directed. "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy," "Tell 'em the Yanks are commin' and we won't go home 'til it's over over there," "Yankee Ingenuity," etc.

And of course there is a Canadian professional sports team called the Vancouver Canucks, and so on.

But -- whether you knew it or not -- "jap" is not a nickname without bias. It's like calling a black person a "******," or a Chinese person a "chink." If you had capitalized it and put a period after it then it might almost have passed as an abreviation for "Japanese," although even then it really isn't a good idea.

Now that you have been made aware of how others might misconstrue it, I hope you'll choose not to use it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well Brian, I see by your profile the reason why you've taken such an offense at my "jap" comment.
I drive a japanese car, a Japanese motorcycle. Most of my electronics were made in Japan, even my Japanese swords !!
and when I'm talking to others about cars, bikes, swords etc, I say "I own a jap bike or car or sword"
All I'm doing is shortening the word "Japanese" when refering to somthing made in Japan.
Sorry if you're offended by this. I'm just a computer geek, I don't know anything about proper etiquette, I'm too busy dealing with life on a day to day basis to worry about trivial things like this.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wilder days said:
... I'm too busy dealing with life on a day to day basis to worry about trivial things like this.
Okay, this will be my last public post on this subject. As Allwalk has said, we shouldn't let this thread get too far off track, and the track is about 2005 Burgmans.

So here goes, and then I'm done:

While it may seem to be a "trivial thing" to you, I can assure you that racism is far from trivial.

You said you didn't mean anything by it; fine -- I can only accept that you were being honest when you said that.

But once you were made aware of the negative connotations, to then come back and say you are "too busy" to worry about other people's feeling reveals something about you that I hope you will give some long and hard thought to.

As far as my profile goes; while I practice Japanese martial arts and am a Zen Buddhist, I am also a Christian and an American. I would have spoken out just as directly if you had referred to an Italian scooter as a wop bike, or a German car as a krautmobile. It's exactly the same thing. You may have only thought of it as an abreviation, but now you know better. If you continue to ignore how hurtful a word "jap" is to many people, then you will be perpetuating racism even if that was not originally your intent.

Racism, inner city decay, youth violence, terrorism -- all are tied to people being "too busy" to care about others.

We hold these truths to be self evident; that all men are created equal. No man is an island. We are our brothers' keepers.

Okay, end of rant. If you (or anyone else) wish further discourse on this topic, please PM me.

Respectfully,
The Rev. Brian Owens

·
Registered
428 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!!!!
You're a REVEREND????? That is just perfect!!! The queen of martyrdom and self righteous indignation?? LOL!!!!! The guy who called mupp a "jerk" for having the gall to disagree with you??? Thank you, that made my day :lol: :lol:

Peace.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bleeder said:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!
You're a REVEREND?????...The guy who called mupp a "jerk" for having the gall to disagree with you???....
When did I call anyone a jerk just for disagreeing with me? Are you glossing over something a little more involved, maybe?

I've also been known to beat people on the shoulders with a stick, and yell confusing riddles at them after they've gone days without sleep.

Sometimes there's a method to my madness, and sometimes I'm just mad.

:D

·
Registered
728 Posts
WE americans, IMHO are WAY too sensitive to everything lately. All we want to do is blame everybody else for our stupidity and short comings. SUE SUE....sue everybody, that'll so 'em.
Did you know that most other counties laugh at us? Ever wonder why? While we Americans are spending our time worrying about TRIVIAL things, others in the world are worrying about important things..like feeding there families, making a living..trying to stay alive.
We have made it so our country is filled with moral and social decay. We spend our time trying to screw everybody we can, sue everybody we can, get rich as fast as we can at ANYBODY elses expense. We wrap ourselves around the fact that, in order to be a good successful amercan, we have to be wealthy and own everyting possible. We want to be the richest, most powerful, to tell everybody else how to live. We're so full of ourselves , we're beginning to stink.
Spoiled BRATS, thats what we've become. Worrying about name calling, isn't that something little kids worry about??

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Aren't we getting way off topic here guys?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, we are Bill, but i'm not the one bellyaching because I referred to Japanese bikes as jap bikes.
Enough said on this, ok?
Now, back to the show....hey, how about them burgmans??

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Points are understood. Enough said. This topic is closed!
****Locked by administrator.***

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.