Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just took delivery of a 2013 Burgman AN650. So far the only thing I've done with it is look at it in the parking garage. Spring can't come soon enough!

Now for the question.

The bike is equipped with a feature that engages the kill switch when either the center or left side kickstand are lowered.

Is it possible to disable this?

There are some instructions in the owners manual like, let it run for a few minutes before you take your first ride of the season and other such things. It would be a bit irritating to sit on it for the time it takes for it to warm up.
Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would be even more irritating to drop the bike going round a corner because you left the kickstand down!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Only the sidestand has the kill switch. The centerstand has a limiter switch instead. So you can run the engine while on the centerstand, but the engine remains in the equivalent of first gear.

+1 to it being even more irritating to drop the bike going around a corner with the kickstand down. The sidestand kill switch is there for a reason.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If the side kick stand switch was disabled on mine I wouldn't know how to shut the engine off. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
753 Posts
It would be even more irritating to drop the bike going round a corner because you left the kickstand down!
In almost 50 years of riding I have never dropped a bike because I forgot I put the stand up. I too would like to be able to start the bike on its side stand and let it warm up a bit that way. Or, just to let it run a bit while I open the garage door.

Really, it aint that big a deal to me, but if they really do save an "aw s#it!" every now and then I guess that they are not bad to have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sidestand switches became mandatory on motorcycles and scooters in the USA in the 1979 model year. Bikes before then were not required to have them. The main reason for them was a number of lawsuits against manufacturers because riders "claimed" they came off the bike because the kickstand was down!

I own a fully stock KZ650 that was used as an exemplar in such a lawsuit - the bike was returned to stock to show in that condition a sidestand would not throw you off! However, they were lots of similar lawsuits! I can't complain, I made a good living working as an engineer for the defense side of product liability lawsuits for 30+ years!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Brian, by the time you start the bike, turn it around and do your final check of clothing or gauges, it is ready to ride.

As has been said, the center stand isn't disabled, only the kick stand and if you have the time to warm it on the stand then you have the time to warm it while seated on it.

That being said, there are ways of disabling it, I just won't do it and as you can see from the replies, it is not recommended.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
On these scooters the side stand kill switch provides another function. If the bike is running on the side stand and someone blips the throttle it will go forward off the stand.

If you set the parking brake that would not be an issue. Somewhere on the forum there is a thread where a person rigged the wiring so that if the barking brake was set the bike can run with the side stand down. If I were to do it that is the route I would take.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Rembemer , on the burg you have no nuteral . When on the side stand you have the drive wheel on the ground. With the switch disabled it only takes a small blip of the throttle to send the bike on a unentended run with out a rider.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Seeing as the scooter's trans is always engaged if it was running with the side stand down and no one on it, it's going to crash.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks for all the help, not that much of it was helpful.
Ok, I'll try to be more helpful.

1. Side stand switch can be disabled by shorting the two wires to the switch. To do this you discoonect the plug and tail from the switch, and then connect together the two terminals in the plug attached to the wiring harness.

I do not recommend this, however, for all the reasons others in this thread have mentioned.

2. As has been pointed out by others, you can 'warm up' the bike for as long as you want by putting it on the centre stand, instead of the side stand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My side stand switch got real sticky, yes I disabled it. No problems.....where is some wood when you need it?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks for all the help, not that much of it was helpful.
My mechanic friend said unplugging the side stand from the wiring harness should disable it and the bike should still operate normally. However, I've never tried it.

But, it's easy enough to do. Just take off the hump/maintenance cover. Follow the wire from the side stand switch and you should see where it clips into the harmless, I think it's a green wire. Unplug it from the harness and see if it still starts. Don't cut any wire or anything, there should be a white clip/plug at the end of the green wire. If it does great, you have your solution. If it doesn't, plug it back in, no harm, no foul. You might need a jumper at the harness. Not sure.

But like others have said, the bike really does Not need warm up time. It's up to operating temp within five minutes of riding.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Like Rustydust I have never in over 50 years of riding dropped a bike because I forgot I put the stand up; nor have I ever in four years of riding my '400 Burgman "blipped" the throttle while it was on the side stand as that would be a senseless and silly thing to do.

Blipping the throttle is what you did years ago to clear things when the engine loaded up during periods of extended idling--because performance carburettors often ran quite rich at idle. 99.44% of modern riders do it because "it's cool".

As for someone else doing it (blipping), no one else other than my brother has ever ridden any bike I have owned. As for someone other than he doing it--I used to have a sticker on my '68 FLH that said:

"If you value your life as much as I value this bike, don't [email protected] with it!"

I was much younger then and that was not just an idle boast.

So, all that said here's my solution on my '03 400, just a small bit of aluminum sheet and a wire-tie; completely reversible with a diagonal cutter in less than 5 seconds:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
No kickstand bypass.
The only halfway-safe way to do a kickstand bypass would be to add a parking-brake interlock so the bypass only works if the parking brake is set. Ideally, it would also incorporate a momentary-on pushbutton switch to enable a self-latching relay activating the bypass*. If the parking brake cable isn't broken and you set the parking brake firmly enough, in theory this should keep the bike from jumping forward on an accidental throttle input. Note that if it does jump forward, the kickstand will retract and the bike will fall over causing extensive body damage. Bummer.

Note that the easiest way to do this does not detect whether the parking brake will actually keep the bike stopped if the engine is throttled up, and permanently disables the kickstand interlock.

I don't think it's necessary, and don't recommend doing it at all.

* That is, the bypass circuit is powered from the parking brake light and is switched on by pressing the button, which closes the relay. Once the relay closes, it is held closed by the bypass circuit even after the button is released. Releasing the parking brake opens the circuit, cutting power to the relay so it opens again.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My mechanic friend said unplugging the side stand from the wiring harness should disable it and the bike should still operate normally. However, I've never tried it.

But, it's easy enough to do. Just take off the hump/maintenance cover. Follow the wire from the side stand switch and you should see where it clips into the harmless, I think it's a green wire. Unplug it from the harness and see if it still starts. Don't cut any wire or anything, there should be a white clip/plug at the end of the green wire. If it does great, you have your solution. If it doesn't, plug it back in, no harm, no foul. You might need a jumper at the harness. Not sure.

But like others have said, the bike really does Not need warm up time. It's up to operating temp within five minutes of riding.

Good luck.

It is good to know how to bypass the side stand switch if it fails out on the road. I go through a mental pre ride check or routine and the last thing is kick stand up. I only use the center stand for fueling and maintenance.

·
Registered
770 Posts
On these scooters the side stand kill switch provides another function. If the bike is running on the side stand and someone blips the throttle it will go forward off the stand.

If you set the parking brake that would not be an issue. Somewhere on the forum there is a thread where a person rigged the wiring so that if the barking brake was set the bike can run with the side stand down. If I were to do it that is the route I would take.
That would work...not far off what some MC's have, where it will run with the stand down as long as it's in neutral.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts