1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
26 Posts
But; surely we should get Suzuki to correct the software/firmware with a recall.

The speed error was one of the first things I noticed as I took my Burgman out with a GPS unit on it on its second ride, and found that speeds are definitely exaggerated.

With a digital readout, they should be accurate!

Andy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
AndyL said:
But; surely we should get Suzuki to correct the software/firmware with a recall. (clip)

With a digital readout, they should be accurate!

Andy
Not a chance for that recall Andy. Almost all motorcycles
(and many cars) read high. Been that way for a long time.
I believe they do it on purpose for some sort of liability reason.
My '03 Suzuki V-Strom has exactly the same percentage error -
and that has an analog speedometer. My last bike, a Kawasaki,
and before that a Honda, had the same optimistic readings.

I'm not saying its right, or that I like it, but I am saying that it is
intentional. A 10% error is not that hard to deal with though.
If you are showing 60 subtract 6, if you are showing 50 subtract 5
- I'm used to doing that.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I agree with pauljo I think it's done on purpose also, every bike I can remember was off ( and always the same way ).
You would think that we, the consumer would have something to say about that but it seems like we don't. :(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
But think of the great gas milage everyone can brag about. Question is if only the speedometer is off or are both it & the odometer off & by the same amount?
The odometer may actually be easier to check than the speedometer.
I tried tapeing my GPS to my windshield & comparing the speeds. Very hard to do. It's easy to hold a set speed in my car with the cruise control but on the bike the speedometer is moving & the GPS is moving & trying to look at both while riding only gives me a wide range of possible error.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I'm curious. Has anyone done a GPS check against their car's speedometer? I suspect that they also read high, although I'm not sure if it is a 10% error.

Another note. I think my Burgman is reading higher than 10% over actual speed right now. My rear tire is worn right down to the wear indicators, ready for replacement. I think the reduced circumference of the rear tire, which makes it spin a tad faster, might be making the error worse. (Either that, or the car drivers have been going faster lately...).

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
gruntled said:
Question is if only the speedometer is off or are both it & the odometer off & by the same amount?
I've seen discussions on this by guys who use (or make) the corrective devices. I believe they determined that the odometer is also off, but by a lesser amount. So if you adjust the speedo to true speed, the odometer & trip meters will actually log lower than actual mileage.

I could be wrong, but that is what I recall.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts