Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 03 650 Burgman with only 384 miles on it. Owned by an older person who lost his sight. Question is, this thing is difficult to push (Getting on trailer or just plain moving around) almost feels like the brake is stuck or is this because of the gear drive? Paid $5,800 did I get stuck or is this a good price . Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It is difficult to push around because of the drivetrain set up. 5,800 is a reasonable price. You did well. Any accessories included?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Ya there not the easiest free wheeling machine. Hence when you see the last bar on the gas gauge flashing, get yourself to the nearest gas station :D

I think you got great deal :!:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Chronic pain in the hands that push the bike will not help riding, I have found.
It will first start at the webing between the thumb and forefinger and can spead to the palm.
After riding an AN650 for 300 miles once, I spent the last 3 minutes with the
bike hurriedly pushing it under a motel
balcony before it rained hard. I didn't want to leave the next
morning, for the pain.

Suzuki and the other manufacturers should start paying attention to what kinds
of products they're "pushing" on the human body, because us humans are the ones
paying for their cute little showroom wonders.

If the previous owner can't give your money back, just remember:
Don't feed it after midnight.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If I understand correctly they are next to impossible to push very far.
How do you load one into a trailer & what if you get a flat tire?
This sounds like a VERY serious problem that may be a good reason not to get a scooter.

·
Registered
308 Posts
gruntled said:
If I understand correctly they are next to impossible to push very far.
How do you load one into a trailer & what if you get a flat tire?
This sounds like a VERY serious problem that may be a good reason not to get a scooter.
The fact that the Burgman could not be "push started" say, if the battery power was low is one of the things I consider as a drawback to owing an automatic motorcycle.

It is not 'next to impossible' to push. It would is an effort to do so, but then again, try pushing a Goldwing, a Harley, or even a GSXR, and its all an effort.

To call it a 'VERY serious' problem is exaggerating it though. The only real drawback is that it cannot be push started if the battery is low. Having a Battery Tender is definitely a must when owning a scooter, to ensure a that you have a good charge going.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You got a very good deal in my opinion. The dealer i bought mine from had a used one on the floor, with over 600 miles and priced it at 6,100.

At this size, whatever you want to call it...scooter or motorcycle... it still has a lot of metal in it. Gravity will out in the end. My last bike was a CB900 Honda. It was a hoss to try and push. For all the pluses of this bike, very minor

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I dont mind ahead , i can use motor, its reverse for moving around i hate, going to think about putting a reverse in it some time, have to look at how the GW doed it, thinking a small starter motor with big rubber drum that can be droped down on the back wheel with a leaver when i want to back up, anything is possible , fun to try new things. Putting a utopia back rest on now with seat all the way ahead, they said it could not be done at utopia, but not hard to do from what i was looking at last nite. I never bought any thing that i was evey 100% pleased with so i always have to make big changes :shock:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ya that reversing thing is a pain. I try not to get into a place where I have to back up. These are things you learn if you have a big touring bike like the Venture Royal I had.
That Utopia back rest is on my want list for next year.
RV

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't understand the problem. I have a crowded garage and have to turn the scooter around so it faces forward and is over by the wall. I don't push the bike. I straddle it and it moves easily, whether forward or backward. I also sometimes straddle it and take it down the driveway embankment before preping it for my rides. Getting it on to a pick-up shouldn't be a problem if you have someone to help you and a ramp.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Pushin'

I pushed Burger boy all over the office today...no prob dudes.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Most highways have right sloping shoulders that are never flat.
Take BurgerBoy out on a highway and push 1 mile
with the Whoosh/Pull/Twist of passing semi's.

A 650 when dropped onto its left side won't roll onto the side panels.
It rests on the underside of the running board.
A 400 isn't as wide as the 650 and it will roll onto its side if dropped.

Rubber stripping from the hardware store, glued to the underside of the
650 running board will save hundreds on bodywear if it's ever dropped.
Dropping a 650 with the parking brake on leaves only cracked paint but
bank too far in a left turn and it will tear away plastic plus grind
metal of centerstand/sidestand too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts