Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into a problem with my CVT that is a little different from the norm. Had a problem with it not shifting. But instead of the usual problem with not up shifting mine was not shifting back into low gear when I came to a stop.

Started when I was in traffic going through a small town. When I would come to a stop then try to start moving again it was in a higher ratio and the engine had trouble moving the bike. Then the FI indicator would come on.

Got to a place where I could pull over and open the seat to trip the switch to put it in dealer mode. I bought one of the switches and keep it installed but tucked up behind the main fuses. Of course when I started the bike again the code was gone and it was back in low gear. That was my last stop in that town and it did not act up again on my way home. As long as I slowed from highway speeds directly to a stop it down shifted just fine.

When I got to the house I stopped out at the gate to enter the gate code then drove on up to the shop. If had down shifted just fine. When I stopped in front of the shop I noticed the FI indicator and a C51 code were flickering on and off. C51 code indicates a control motor problem. Got it on into the shop and up on the lift. This was all last weekend.

Yesterday I started checking it out to see what was wrong. Of course that involved stripping off the bodywork back to the seat so I could get at the control motor and plugs. Checked the stopper bolt and it was OK so did not think I had an internal issue. Pulled the plug on the CVT motor and checked the resistance through it. Manual says should have less than 0.8 ohms between the two pins going to the motor. I was reading 0.2. It said should have infinity from either of the pins to ground. I was getting 4.73 on one and 5.62 on the other.

I have another CVT sitting on a shelf waiting for a rebuild so I pulled the motor off it. That motor tested out OK on the multimeter. So I swapped it into the CVT on the bike. Disabled the center stand switch and gave it a test run. Seemed to be working OK. Buttoned everything up and put all the bodywork back on. By then it was to late to take it for a test ride.

Took it out this morning and put 102 miles on it, Purposely went through several small towns so it would have to downshift from low speeds. Worked like a champ and never missed a beat. So I guess I can declare it fixed.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I had one like that and if you spun the motor by hand you could feel a spot where something was hitting inside the case. His would stall the engine at a stop because the CVT would not downshift and the clutch stayed engaged. You also couldn't restart it except on a centerstand and the wheel would spin fast.

Speaking of the CVT electric motor I need to install the new one I bought for my 2003 because it is making a abnormal screeching noise briefly when cold and downshifting.

Reactions: Buffalo
1 - 3 of 3 Posts