Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent about half the day calling and talking with Suzuki dealers within 100 miles of my home. You really get some different attitudes from the different dealers. It seeems you actually insult some of them by asking if they carry the Burgman!

For example, a dealer in Birmingham told me they had sold them in the past but didn't have any at this time. I asked if they could find one and have it transferred to them and they said they didn't do that. Said the '06 would be out in a couple of months and that I would just have to wait. I asked if they had a brochure on the 650 and they said they did. When I asked if he could mail one to me he stated that "I don't believe we can do that". When I asked him why not, he stated that it was just not their policy to mail out brochures! Needless to say I marked them OFF my list of possible places to buy.

Another authorized dealer in Tuscaloosa told me he didn't carry the Burgman because "I carry the Silverwing and I just can't carry every machine and keep parts for them". He said 9 out of 10 people would want the SW anyway and he had never had a request for the Burgman. Again, when I asked if he could find one for me he stated he wasn't interested! Another one OFF the list!

But some dealers seem to want your business and will go out of ther way to help you. A salesman named Bill at the dealership in Meridian, MS not only gave me some very helpful information, but got on the phone and found a silver 650 that he could have in his showroom within 1 week. Offered it to me for $7300 plus taxes. He is putting his card and a brochure in the mail to me today. Now this is the kind of service I expect from someone that I am planning on doing a lot of business with in the next several years!

Another dealer in Selma, AL said he could find me one and have it within a week also. He said he required a $500 deposit to have one transferred in. He is an authorized Suzuki dealer but has never sold or worked on a Burgman before now. That concerns me a little. I don't want them doing on-the-job-training on my ride! But he stated that he could get if for me for around, and I quote, "7,000 out the door". Does that mean tax included? I am going to ride over to their store on Tuesday and get them to put in writing my exact price. I had rather do business with Bill in Meridian because he was so helpful. But if I can save several hundred dollars I may have to buy in Selma.

I know this has been long but just wanted to tell you about me experience with some really good dealers and some real jerks! I will update later on this week after I talk with the Selma dealer.

PS.....has anyone heard of any changes in the '06 model? Would it be worth waiting for a new model or going ahead and taking a left-over '05? I assume you would not be able to get much of a discount on the new model.

Later,
Vanzo

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Vanzo,

It will probably be sometime in September before we get any information on the '06 models. At least that has been the case for the last two years.

You are right, there are some dealers worth dealing with, and others that are terrible. I would really hesitate to have Burgman service performed at a dealership who has no experience with them. We all had to deal with that in 2003 of course, but there are now dealers out there who have experience. You can always go back to Meridian and try for a counter offer after visiting the dealer in Selma. Sometimes it isn't so foolish to pay $100 or so more at a dealer that you like. Paying $500 more could be a different story. Also, some dealers will throw in a helmet or riding jacket or free first service to even up a deal, so try exploring those options if you need to.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I believe I read (on these forums) the head's-up on the 2006 models are only color changes and the rest is to remain the same. Of course, nothing is written in stone but apparently Suzuki isn't very impressed with U.S. sales on the burgman. Although if this forum is any indication perhaps they may rethink their attitude soon?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, it's terrible getting old!!! My wife just read me post and reminded me that the salesman in Meridian was MIKE, not Bill! Sorry, but I did want to get his name right since he was so helpful to us.

Vanzo

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pauljo
You're right on again as usual. Everyone needs to understand that the dealers who have the knowledge and go the extra mile charge a little more because they have the necessary overhead to service what they sell. These are the people that take their business's seriously.
I could be the cheapest dealer all the time if I had a non-existant infrastructure, and just pushed out product.
Just like on the internet---buy something cheaper than anywhere else and try and get service later. OK for generic shopping, but not for a product that will need attention/service in the future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone needs to understand that the dealers who have the knowledge and go the extra mile charge a little more because they have the necessary overhead to service what they sell. These are the people that take their business's seriously.
You are right and I feel sure I will do business with the Meridian dealer, although he is higher. Like I said, I don't want a dealer doing OTJT with my bike. Plus the salesman there went the extra mile and made some phone calls to find a bike for me. Most salesmen I talked to at other dealerships didn't seem to want to waste their time on a "scooter" deal!

Van

1 - 6 of 6 Posts